Am hardly ever reachable

Guest pierre

Guest casper508

On two seperate occasions I’ve had friends calling me on my home phone asking why I didn’t reply to the message they left.

REASON: I never got any!!

I double checked Answer Phone and no new messages!! Has anyone else had a similar experience??

Cas

I have to say - as far as I am concerned this problem definitely exists.

I don't really rate the signal meter on the SPV - I move around the country a fair bit and it seems perfectly clear and usable in areas where I am getting a low signal reading, far more so than phones that I have had before (in the same spots) which would become crackly and drop calls. I reckon it's receiving as well as other handsets I've had, it just doesn't seem to acknowledge that it has a fair signal. At least it's not overly optimistic like the Samsung A300 I had before - RIP thank God, bequeathed it to my unsuspecting sister as a Christmas present...

However, people are consistently calling me when the phone has been on my desk at work (reported three bars, Cambridge Science Park is pretty well served) and been sent straight to answerphone. My girlfriend now calls my spare phone before she'll try my Orange number because of this. I've not encountered this with other handsets sitting in the same spot on the same desk over the last 3 years or so. As far as I'm concerned that constitutes empirical evidence that there is a problem. SMS's seem to arrive pretty much on time but they're more difficult to judge.

Anyone got a cohesive explanation? Please?!? Have they reported this fixed in the update (which I won't install because I only managed to de-certify the damn thing today)... :wink:

Fixit.

Yes I have had this problem. I have been onto Orange, and they always come up with a lame excuse like a transmitter was down (even though I travel during the day), I have even had my battery replaced as last week that was apparently causing it. The final straw was getting an important call, and the SPV displayed "ERROR, cannot answer call" - I was a little on the angry side after that. Now I have to divert to my 8310 if I am expecting a call back.

I am going to print out this thread, and phone Orange tomorrow and really chase this issue. I can live with certification, and the occasional lockup but need to be contactable, and the loss of text and answerphone message is driving me insane.

thanks for the above comments, and if anyone else has had this problem could you add to the thread so I have more ammo ?

thanks

Duncan

Mmmm... Yes!

On a number of occasions I have tried to answer the phone only for it to throw up an "error". I have also attempted to demonstrate some .wav ringtone or other by getting my friends to phone me... while they were standing next to me... and it does quite often go straight through to the answerphone - even though I (apparently) have a signal and can dial out.

As has been said by a number of others - I can live with bugs and hang-ups in some of the PDA-type functions, but when it won't function as a basic phone then we really know that we are in trouble. I have kept my trusted T68, just in case, and I am now sorely tempted to knock this SPV beta testing on the head and go back to good old reliability and predictability.

Bored and frustrated............

Sculli

Guest ivanmacx

dma, I've had this 3 or 4 times in the last month, call comes in press 'accept' and I get 'Error - Cannot answer call' or something like that.

I also regularly get voicemail messages appearing on the phone when it's been sat in front of me, turned on, with full reception.

Never had this, maybe im not very popular! haha, the only time its ever said "unable to answer call" is because somebody on pay as you go "drop called me" and hence it wasnt able to answer the call in time. Maybe you want to try setting the answer phone to pick up after a MUCH longer ring period maybe that will help, it isnt definately SPV maybe orange is just plain c*ap as other people appear to have had this on other phones! Also i live in an area which gets extremely good coverage, so maybe its that, alternatively yes it could be the SPV and thus id send it back, but not having these problems im not, try the update ;)

DJ Hope

Well I have been on the phone to customer support for a fair while this morning going round in circles with this issue. Orange insist it is a transmitter issue, even though this has only really happened with this phone. I live with two other orange users who don't have this problem at all, Orange seem to be saying that my SPV is a magnet for broken transmitters because it is "not a handset issue". I pointed out the 'Error...' message and how other people here have reported the same problem but can't get them to accept that there is a problem with the phone. I can't really spend my day on the phone to Orange so had to give up.

defeated ;)

Same defeat here, I wrote an email to Orange Customer' Care Switzerland (where I'm located), and the answer is vague, simply mentioning that there will be a 2nd update in 1-2 months that will solve quite a few bugs. They also asked whether I had downloaded the first update, which I did. It all looks like they got no idea, so I suggest that more people do report by calling/mailing them till they understand it's a serious problem, which for users are concerned (isnt'it?).

Guest jtsaint

I have the update and still get this all the time.

ERROR: Unable to answer call

This is pretty s*** since its a mobile phone. I end up with a missed call and have to call them back

Works out nicely for Orange since I am now making the call!

ive had this problem and orange are aware of it but there excuse is that "with more advanced handsets you will have this occurence and we are continually trying 2 improve our service" i think that isnt an excuse at all! i so hope that the bug fix resloves as bar all the bugs i like my spv, but im simply not prepared 2 except the excuse theyve given.

I was wondering where in the UK are you guys having this problem of not receiving calls ?

Maybe it is a problem that is specific to only some parts of the UK.

Perhaps those having problems could post their location or Postcode area.

Guest angeleyes

i've never had a problem with this - all my calls get through with no problem. i live on south coast of uk. i also have a really good signal most of the time (as in all bars) - but still don't have a problem recieving calls when signal strength is only 1 bar ;)

well im in leeds, but the reception issue isnt really valid as ill admit i get an ok signal strength and the moment i take my sim out and put it in my 9210e this never occurs so its more likley a handset issue than a network problem - but this my second spv and ive had the same fault in both handsets

Play it again sam - never had this problem ;) So how can it be a handset issue not everyone is having the problem? If it is a handset issue must be a select number of handsets, in which case get a new one!

Sarcism isnt my favorite wit, sorry if that sounds a little harsh above its not ment too, their are some seriosuly sensitive people on here tho :twisted:

I also live in the sawf !

DJ Hope

well im in leeds, but the reception issue isnt really valid as ill admit i get an ok signal strength

There is a lot more to the network than just getting a few bars of signal on your phone.

Sometimes only certain mobile numbers or IMEI numbers are affected.

It could be a problem with certain simcard numbers.

All these things have to be validated on the network before you can make or receive a call, regardless of signal strength.

OK - break it down to independent variables:

i) Handsets - I've had two SPV's now, both of which have exhibited the problem, but with the same SIM card - surely this couldn't be the common denominator I am looking for? The IMEI is handset specific.

ii) Phone number - has been the same for the last five years, but the other handsets I've had in this time haven't shown the same symptoms.

iii) Region - I've seen this problem over the last month in Cambridgeshire, London and the Midlands, and one of my mates 'oop north' has sent his SPV back because of the same problem.

So as far as I can see, either this is a generic Orange problem that has developed since Christmas when I got my first SPV, or the phone itself is at fault. I know the first instinct of you guys is to defend this embattled handset, but I'm really not knocking it - I haven't sent mine back! I just feel that this is an issue with it that needs to be addressed, basic phone functionality is surely a prerequisite in a product marketed as a 'mobile phone' - sorry for the rambling post guys.

I don't think there is any problem here either.

If there was an issue, then Orange would have picked up on this by now.

And there would be a lot more postings about it

Must be some simple explanation, like little hands playing with handset ?

;)

It's been well documented that the BIGGER your hands, the more trouble you have playing with this handset! You know what the ladies say - "Big hands - big gloves."

I'm a paid techie mate, I know an issue with an electronic device when I see one, and I'm seeing this on a regular basis. I have no problems (and a degree of envy) for those of you who don't have the problem and doubtless have cheaper phone bills for not regularly having to call people back after their incoming call has failed. However, I'd say it's worthy of further investigation. Maybe it's a setup issue? What's the phone doing when it regularly lights up and shows the 'pls wait' egg timer-ish symbol? Is it possible that missed incoming calls occur when this is happening?

I know your all having problems but just a thought

I think that as you are connected to GPRS you can't recieve or make calls ie. You are using the same line.

Therefore if you set up your pop3 to auto check and download your e-mails - during this when the GPRS connection is made you will be unavailable

Cheers

Frost

I've given up on using EMAIL from the handset - on my second one I haven't bothered setting it up, so this shouldn't be a problem. Plus I read elsewhere that an incoming call should work regardless of what GPRS is doing. I agree with Xanadu - let's reserve judgement until the new patch comes out.

user adamh wrote this a few days ago:

"I have noticed a probable cause of the problem. It seems that leaving Internet Explorer open, and in the background will cause this to happen after about 5 hours. Possibly it's not just IE, but any program left running in the background.

Does this match anyone else's experience? Can someone test it?"

Has anyone checked that out? (i couldn't as per yet but think it's worth trying...) :?:

Ok ill give you that mate sorry if i sounded a bit dissmissive but its hard to be angry with a problem you dont have !

If that is the case pierre then get the task manager, it should help, since i hardly EVER use ie, and prefer to restart my phone when i do (since it use to be such an arse to close down, before task manager) this could be the case ;)

DJ Hope