Samsung i320 - Competent Moto Q Rival?

Guest sporkguy

Guest sporkguy
i3200sv.png
We haven't heard many peeps out of Samsung about their QWERTY "Q killer" SGH-i320 ever since its FCC approval a couple of months ago.

Well, now it looks like they're ready to bust this thing out, and they're starting off with a launch in EDGE-friendly France.

The EDGE Smartphone isn't as wide or tall as the Motorola Q, but the phones both share that thinner-than-a-RAZR 11.5mm thickness.

There's 120MB of included memory, along with a microSD slot, so Windows Mobile 5.0 should have plenty of room to play, but the QVGA display is a mere 2.2-inches, so some squinting might be in order.

The phone includes Bluetooth, dual-speakers and push-email support, but we're still without a clue as to the actual launch date or specific network.

We're also curious if Samsung can manage to compete with the Q at that

Guest TomaHawk

looks hopeful.

looke like they could of fitted more screen in the same footprint though.

probably be here before a GSM Q so willl be considered.

looks good.

Guest m@...

I used one of these for a few hours, its a great device, apart from the flashing coloured lights and the ability to moo on everykey press!

There is also a 3G version on its way later this year (in the shops next year)

Guest xda_gangsta

man I got excited about this phone but it doesn't have nothing to offer its just like the moto q but smaller, lacks the scroll wheel and no wifi.. what else is new lol I'll skip this one too

Guest dominique67

Hum, I think it can compete and should certainly attack the BlackBerry !

News I just got is that it will be release Azerty in France and not Qwerty,

plus will have Stereo Bluetooth, quite a premiere for a WM5 smartphone.

More on Le Blog Gadget

Guest airwar
Hum, I think it can compete and should certainly attack the BlackBerry !

News I just got is that it will be release Azerty in France and not Qwerty,

plus will have Stereo Bluetooth, quite a premiere for a WM5 smartphone.

More on Le Blog Gadget

I have been looking out for this device for some time, when I found out the Q was not going to be released with GSM support. I do not understand why the various manufacturers have not got a Blackberry form factor out quicker to the European market. With the obvious exception of the HP device which is simply too big.

I have had to resort to a Nokia E61 for Activsync in conjunction with an SP5 which is no good for typing email replies on. The K-Jam and Jamin I have tried are simply not possible to use one handed.

Edited by airwar

Guest awarner (MVP)

Blackberry devices are not that popular in Europe compared to the US market so it will be more of a race even though blackberry have been around for a while now.

Guest airwar
Blackberry devices are not that popular in Europe compared to the US market so it will be more of a race even though blackberry have been around for a while now.

I've got 300 BB users in my firm though and desperately want to move to an Activesync solution for cost and flexibility. The Qwerty Thumb board is so popular that it wont happen unless I can match the form factor. There is also the cost factor with BB's at nearly

Guest airwar

Looks like Samsung have updated the i320 to the i320n and made it more Q like in appearance. Still no information on a release date but I would hope it was soon and not just in Asia.

Article from engadget is here

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rockykabir

Anyone know what processor the i320 will have? v v interested in the progress of this :)

To those who have tried it, how was the size? We all know it is extremely compact....but is it too small? the keyboard buttons do look tiny(!)

Edited by rockykabir

Guest airwar

Had a go with one today at a Microsoft mobility seminar. It is very small and the closest approximation I can give to it size is that is similar to a Moto SLVR, just shorter and slightly wider. The keyboard is a tadge small but not unusable.

It does look good though and it does look more like a phone than a PDA/Smartphone.

Guest rockykabir

Nice....will love to try one of these. I think I might just jump in and buy it offline (from the sale of my Vario). Pixmania are charging

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ParaDiddle

Can someone who's experienced typing on this device tell me how it behaves? I've created a program on the Q called QCaps that emulates KeyCaps on the Treo/BB. I wonder if it can apply to this device as well. You can check out QCaps at http://www.QooLApps.com

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jamichy

Hi All,

Been trying find out if the pixmania one is azerty or querty... sales team dont seem to know. Anybody else had better luck? selling my E61 today and will order from either pixmania or Expansys... both show available in 2 days....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.