What the hell is T-Mobile doing?

Guest nevawlkalone

Guest nevawlkalone
I agree - but if you are streaming or using VoIP over GPRS (rather than 3G) it is likely to be picked up as it could (would?) have a detrimental effect over other users. I don't think it's the amount of data that's so much the problem as the effect these have over the system (ie blocking channels) which is not the case on 3G due to the different way it works.

Put this point to the customer rep...should be an interesting answer!

You have a point, as the different bandwidths etc shouldnt be affecting other people as IM should be a scratch on the 3G data limit!

Guest Sp00k
No offence but that seems to be the long way round of saying what T-Mob say! Yes its banned but you coud prob get away ith using it! Fair usage etc so i supose its down to trying n seeing... >snip

None taken sunshine, though it beats me why you felt the need to comment, quoting my entire post... editing is easy, once you get the hang of it! :)

Perhaps you're forgetting that you're in "The Lounge"? ... a section of the forum described as: "Want to post something that doesn't fit into any of the other categories? Just fancy a chat? This is the place."

For short, sharp, strictly to the point posts, maybe you should look elsewhere on the forum? :)

Sp00k...

Guest nevawlkalone
None taken sunshine, though it beats me why you felt the need to comment, quoting my entire post... editing is easy, once you get the hang of it! :)

Because it would be daft taking part of it, making a comment on it and there be bits of iformation missing and people having to search for your post to find out why i think it was the long way round

Perhaps you're forgetting that you're in "The Lounge"? ... a section of the forum described as: "Want to post something that doesn't fit into any of the other categories? Just fancy a chat?This is the place."
True but you also forget that in the first line of my post i said that i wasnt sure where to put it, and i wouild like to point out that none of the moderators have complained about the fact it iis here and no where else! (touch wood) therefore i see no reason for you to mock this.

For short, sharp, strictly to the point posts, maybe you should look elsewhere on the forum?

And what would this achieve? This is a topice that needed discussing not a short sharp response!

Mabe YOU should look around and figure out what the forum is about...its for HELPING People and discussing things in detail not short sharp answers!

Am not looking to trn this into a mud slinging contest but that post was a pointless stab at a comment i made not intended to offend...and there was no need to reply in this manner!

P.S is this enough editing for you?

Edited by nevawlkalone

Guest Sp00k

nevawlkalone... May I apologise most profusely... for ever having told you that editing was easy!

For you, it obviously isn't!!

By omitting the words "This is the place." from the previous quote of mine... and then adding them to the beginning of my following quoted sentence, you've managed to totally reverse the original meaning of it!

Whilst this is fun... and I do enjoy an argument, I acknowledge that this isn't the place and therefore I won't continue in this vein...

But... If you're intending to quote me any further... Please do it accurately! :)

Sp00k.

Guest Confucious

Now, now children....

If you want to have a go at anyone have a go at me, I just let it wash right over me but you two seem to be taking this "seriously"!!!!

Relax, and have fun. :)

Guest nevawlkalone
nevawlkalone... May I apologise most profusely... for ever having told you that editing was easy!

For you, it obviously isn't!!

By omitting the words "This is the place." from the previous quote of mine... and then adding them to the beginning of my following quoted sentence, you've managed to totally reverse the original meaning of it!

Whilst this is fun... and I do enjoy an argument, I acknowledge that this isn't the place and therefore I won't continue in this vein...

But... If you're intending to quote me any further... Please do it accurately! :)

Sp00k.

Apology accepted...i didnt take it to heart :) :D ;)

editing is easy, its my misinterpritation and your poor wording it that caused the mistake, and its not realy reversed it to be brutally honest.

Your first post in this thread was the long way round of saying what T-Mobile said, thats all i said and your blowing it out of proportion.

END OF

now back to the original topic please!!!!!!!!!!!!

N one more thing, i didnt want a short sharp to the point answer i wanted peoples thoughts on it! On which yours have been no help!

Edited by nevawlkalone

Guest adchaffey

Ding ding, round 2 anyone?!?! :)

I completely agree with a few posts so far. T-Mobile, like any other major company in the world at the moment have to go (in my opinion) completely over the top with their T's and C's to give them the right to teminate contracts if need be. You'd be amazed at the terms of use for most things you use nowadays. For example, do people realise their cars/houses are not actually insured against acts of god! :)

Anyway, point is I'm almost certain using MSN messenger for messaging will not be a problem on web 'n' walk regardless of what is said by T-Mobile customer services!

Guest nevawlkalone
Ding ding, round 2 anyone?!?!
sorry

Anyway, point is I'm almost certain using MSN messenger for messaging will not be a problem on web 'n' walk regardless of what is said by T-Mobile customer services!

The email i've been waiting for has finally arrived and oh how good an email it is!!

Hello Matt

Thanks for your further email about Web 'n' Walk

After looking into this for you, I can see that this will just affect GPRS, as when using Web 'n' Walk, GPRS is used, rather than 3G.

I hope this answers your query Matt, and thanks again for taking the time to contact me about this.

If I can be of any further help, please feel free to reply to this email or contact us through our website.

Kind regards

Amanda

Email team

:) :) ;) :D B) :P :P :D

Guest Confucious

It can, I really believe that CS are not certain of what they are talking about and things have been mis-interpreted along the lines somewhere.

I believe the restrictions were mainly bought in for GPRS but they don't (can't) distinguish 3G.

We shall see...

Guest andyhud
Or find a way around the sniffers...

Hi chaps,

I honestly believe T-Mobile dont have any idea really what people are doing and monitoring our traffic from our phones. I mean honestly, they have shed loads of users probably on the unlimited WnW tariff... they can't be monitoring everyones traffic.. its just a waste of time IMO. They have more pressing matters like dragging people off the other networks onto theirs and increasing revenue.

I've got an MDA Compact and have my activesync syncing with Exchange server every 5 minutes, on top of that I use IMAP daily for another acccount, use the web to check train times a lot and google and use IM every day for about 30 mins a day, and I put the WnW Unlimited tariff on my account the day after it 'officially' came out. Ive never had a problem, an email, a phone call or any blocking. As the others say, I reckon they are just covering their backs should the worst happen.

If they wanted to block IM, they'd block the ports (OK OK, after reading some more threads it seems T-mobile say they "can't" block ports, so I'll take that back. But then on the flip side, there are loads of IM alternatives that can use alternate ports to still connect to Messenger, AIM etc. In my personal opinion, its just too difficult to control on their part. Maybe I'm wrong.. but thats the way I see it. Who knows say a year down the line when we are all on 3G or more they may have more control.. but right now... I dont think so.

I mean lets be honest... laymen Joe who has been giving his PDA/Phone and put on that tariff probably doesnt even realise that IM is even possible on the phone. All he checks is his work email on the move and thinking how cool it is.

Wasnt really a rant, but rant over anyhow...

Andy

Edited by andyhud

Guest Confucious

I think the only time they will monitor anything is if they have complaints from users who can't make phone calls and they mightvthen be able to track it to one user blocking all the slots on GPRS by streaming or using VoIP - apart from that I doubt if they will care. Like I say, 3G shouldn't be a problem.

I could be wrong...

Guest andyhud
I think you're right, it would be more likely to block anyone else using GPRS by hogging the slots.

Afternoon Chaps

Just for anyone's info as I wondering too, T-Mobile CS have just called me back to confirm that if you are on WnW Unlimited internet for

Guest Pondrew
Er how can this work when they're now selling the Sidekick, which is predominently for IM..!

From what I understand the Sidekick II is on a tariff all of it's own, ie not subject to Web N Walk terms and conditions.

Guest nevawlkalone
From what I understand the Sidekick II is on a tariff all of it's own, ie not subject to Web N Walk terms and conditions.

So why do they allow it on one devive only? Surely they dont have a seperate traffice hub for the Sidekick II

Guest Pondrew

So you're saying that you want the Web N Walk tariff's terms and conditions rolled out throughout T-Mobile?! Hehe, in truth it seems the Sidekick II IS Web N Walk! Slight mistake by old T-Mobile saying that IM is against the terms and conditions then advertising the AOL Messaging function of the Sidekick II...

Anyway, in truth this is getting a bit old now so I'll bow out of the discussion saying in answer to the topic's title question that T-Mobile were/are trying to shake up the data market, something they've absolutely suceeded in doing. The fact of the matter is T-Mobile's Web N Walk data tariff far outdoes anything else out there for value.

Hasn't this subject has been done to death over the last three months?! :)

Guest dude55

Does the latest MDA Compact ROM still have MSN Messenger? Because mine came with MSN Messenger and I've been using it fine on WnW since November (when it was still 40mb a month).

• 2 months later...

I'm suprised that all the expertise in this thread has missed the whole point of T-Mobile excuding IM from their WnW T&C. I would have thought it was obvious that it's simply about protecting their SMS revenue!