HTC Wizard (MDA Vario) Water Damage

Guest eilz

I have the MDA Vario for about 5 months, I accidentely sprayed it with the shower, since then the screen is showing weird lines after spraying it. Although, the phone work ok, the sound and incoming ringing, BUT obviously with a Screen its not much use.

I dont think the fault is with the screen, but with the circuit inside the screen, I am willing to give it a go, as after opening it it looks easy enough to replace, although were can I get a replacement LCD with the circuit, or even the circuit itself.

I have another MDA vario, which I was gonna swap the screen and circuit with, although its still in warrenty and want be it I open, and I don;t fancy breaking the working one.

Any ideas, were I could get the parts?

Guest Pondrew

Not sure why you posted this in the HTC Typhoon (Smartphone) hardware specific section...

Moved to HTC Wizard forum.

Water damage is often fairly terminal. Maybe member Fluffcat1 will be able to give you advice given he's fairly knowledgable when it comes to servicing HTC devices...

Guest PayableOnDeath
Water damage is often fairly terminal.

If you Remove Power as soon as get it wet and allow it to dry out inside, few days in a warm dry place, you can normaly have it working fine again, as long as its fully dried out, as its not the water that does the damage its the electricity shorting out thru the water that damages it :)

Guest Pondrew

True. But don't circuits also degrade quicker over time once exposed to water? Not an engineer but thought I recalled hearing that somewhere...

True. But don't circuits also degrade quicker over time once exposed to water? Not an engineer but thought I recalled hearing that somewhere...

I did already try this, did dry it out but no luck. The screen has very thin lines but can just about see them.

Guest PayableOnDeath

am not sure about that one lol, i guess it depends of they start to rust or not

Guest Pondrew

Yeah. Probably depends on the extent of the water ingress... wouldn't like to get a device second hand though and have it fail shortly after due to nothing of my own doing though... :)

Can I copy my contacts to another MDA Vario, without using the screen, I can connect using active sync still?

Edited by eilz

Guest Pondrew

@eilz. If activesync still works can't you sync your contacts with your desktop then sync them across from the desktop to the second device afterwards?

@eilz. If activesync still works can't you sync your contacts with your desktop then sync them across from the desktop to the second device afterwards?

Thanks, I was having problems doing this at first because the alarm was constantly ringing about 5 times at the same time, and as I could not turn it off I had to wait till it gave up and then was able to sync.

Thanks for all the help.

If anyone has a faulty mda vario to get rid off, OR if someone is interested in mine, please let me know.

Edited by eilz