ROM updates and warranties

Guest ivanmmj

Guest ivanmmj

So, I just called Tmobile USA to ask if I used the ROM from a third party (I said from HTC directly) would it void my warranty on the phone? Both reps responded that Tmobile will cover ALL software issues so that it shouldn't be a problem. Now I'm not sure if they knew what I was refering to... anyone else here know if most carriers will void any warranties if you do try a rom update?

I have:

Rom Version: 1.8.10.2 WWE

Rom Date: 12/10/05

Radio Version: 01.09.10

Protocol Version: 4.0.13.20

ExtROM Version: 1.8.10.104

As you can see, it's aging...

I doubt this very much, they must have misunderstood it otherwise they would have tons of people going back to them sayin "well, I flashed my ROM with a non official ROM and it screwed up so... replace it please"... and they wouldnt have time for this or the resources.

only stick to the official ROM's supported/provided by tmobile

Guest ivanmmj
I doubt this very much, they must have misunderstood it otherwise they would have tons of people going back to them sayin "well, I flashed my ROM with a non official ROM and it screwed up so... replace it please"... and they wouldnt have time for this or the resources.

only stick to the official ROM's supported/provided by tmobile

Yea, I plan to call again tonight just to make sure. But the ROM that I want to install IS from Tmobile. (Just not Tmobile USA.) I wonder if I can use that?

Guest ivanmmj
Yea, I plan to call again tonight just to make sure. But the ROM that I want to install IS from Tmobile. (Just not Tmobile USA.) I wonder if I can use that?

OK, I called again. This time I got someone who knew what a ROM was. He proceeded to tell me that my warranty would be voided even if I used Tmobile UK's rom. It HAS to be Tmobile USA or "it might not work and we're not liable for it."

I guess I'll wait for tmobile USA to release their version either never or sometime AFTER the warranty expires... Until then, if I DID decide to flash the phone with another version and screwed up the install, would there be any way to reflash it to the original ROM? If so, where would I get the original rom?

thought so

well if the ROM upgrade goes a-wall then well usually there isnt a way to reflash back to the original - depends on how much damage was caused during the upgrade process.

the "original" ROM is usually found on the appropriate page on their site, or the one that was released at the time is on their web page, so download the ROM that is showing on their web page (correct for your country) and keep it, just in case.

i upgraded my cingular 8125 to a non offical rom from xda developers and had a camera light go bad http://www.modaco.com/My-First-Issue-With-...25-t241627.html so i went to the htcamerica site and downloaded the offical rom and everything downgraded just fine and i sent it back with no problems.

make sure that if you do decide to upgrade that you have a full battery.

WOOT Im a regular now :)

Edited by pdtp