Pocket PC as WiFi adapter (or any kind of internet connection)

Guest The Undefeated

Guest The Undefeated

Ever wanted to get a laptop online? or get another mobile onto the internet? Well if you have PPC with any kind of internet connection you can!

well, somebody gave me a link to their article so i kinda simplified it :)

Required files:

Shortcut - here

Java virtual machine - here

-----requires registration, don't worry its free and quick

Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen's proxy server - here

Step 1

Install the java thing onto your device (the shortcut is set for it to be on the device memory, but you can install it on your SD card and edit the shortcut)

Step 2

Copy Werner's proxy server to the root of your device

Step 3

Put the shortcut somewhere you can reach it :)

If you are connecting to a pc through a USB cable goto step 4, if you are using bluetooth go to step 6

Step 4

Disable active sync on your computer somehow, by closing the application, or not allowing connections through the usb port.

Step 5

You will see the connection to your device in 'Control panel / Network and internet connections / Network connections' right click and go to 'status', see that IP adress? write it down or something.

Open internet explorer (or similar) 'Tools / Internet Options / Connections / LAN Settings'

Check the box to use a proxy server, write down the IP adress you copied in the adress bar, and set the port as 8080.

Step 6 (bluetooth)

You need to do this on the device you want to connect to the internet, eg. PAYG phone with really expensive gprs charges, connecting to a Pay Monthly device with free internet access.

Well, since i cant actually do this you have to read this artcle: Set up a PAN

Step 7

PAN set up? well i hope so, now all you need to do is get your browser to connect to the IP of the Bluetooth connection.

On your device you need to create a new connection (not an ISP, something else) and in the proxy address put the IP of the bluetooth network, port 8080.

Final Step

On the device that is kindly providing the internet connection, connect to the internet somehow, wifi, gprs, magic. run bluetooth / connect via usb. and then click on the shortcut this will allow any number of other devices to use its internet connection.

Connect the device you want to browse the www to the 'server' and away you go!

WARNING: the device acting as the server cannot go online or do anything, so there.

I wrote this little article thing on a 12 yr old laptop, using the power of my XDA Mini, a usb cable, and WiFi.

Well whatever, don't know if anybody wanted this, but i did, so there.

Edited by The Undefeated

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FatBloke23

Looks great...if only I could get it to work with my SPV c500 :)

I download the "TI OMAP series" version, for Windows Mobile 2003 SE...and it eventually tells me that the program's not intended for my device. Bugger.

I guess I'll keep searching...