New UK T Mobile ROM - Thoughts?

Guest andysalmon

Guest andysalmon

Battery life seems much better. 100% after charging at 8pm last night, left on overnight (no alarms, calls or reminders) a 5 min call this morning and a 5 min play with wi-fi- now down to 97% after 15 hrs!

Guest chucky.egg

If the device goes to sleep that would be about right - it's basically 15 hours of almost no activity, so there won't be much drain

Guest SilentBob

I have only just updated the ROM late last night, so haven't been able to give it much of a chance. However, immediate thoughts are:

1) Thank god they have allowed a menu/button shortcut to "Running Programs".

2) I don't like the new battery indicator. A lot less pleasing on the eye.

3) When returning from a program to the Today screen, it is taking quite some time to refresh the screen and make it active.

I'll have to give it a week or so of use before I really know how much better it is or isn't.

Guest adchaffey
2) I don't like the new battery indicator. A lot less pleasing on the eye.

I'd have to agree with that. Although usefull, the battery indicator doesn't look too hot.

But on the whole my phone seems to be running much quicker, probably partly due to the fact i haven't installed as much software as i had on there before but still!

I've been having a slight issue with the password protection on the phone. I previously set the password to be required if the device is left idle for 0 minutes. This meant it would only ask for a password when I brought the phone out of standby. Now it occaisionaly asks for the password anyway!

Anyone having the same problem?

Edited by adchaffey

Guest marcwic

What I have noticed:

- Better battery - drove to gatwick (60 miles) and has it playing all the way, battery went down by 8% - I was using mort player with the screen set to go off after 30seconds. So for a 1h 15 minute drive, thats very good.

- On screen keyboard is hidden when you pull out the hardware keyboard (before it hid when you press a button on the hardware keyboard)

- Input menu does take so long to appear

- There's a new comms manager that replaces "flight mode" - you can choose to turn off the phone, gprs, push email, wi-fi, bluetooth and vibrate. Not sure how I activate push email?

- New batery indicator on the menu bar (only on the today screen)

- The time is on the today screen rather than the menu bar, but goes back to the menu bar in other apps.

- T-Mobile don't mess with Pocket Internet Explorer with a "do you want to go online" message, and you can choose any homepage without a registry hack

- a new application that allows remote SIM access

- it hasn't soft reset its self YET!!!

So a good job I think, whether t-mobile customise this in-house ot get another company to do it I don't know, but its made the phone more usable. One thing that would be nice would be a fullscreen keypad input option.

Guest tsutton
I've been having a slight issue with the password protection on the phone. I previously set the password to be required if the device is left idle for 0 minutes. This meant it would only ask for a password when I brought the phone out of standby. Now it occaisionaly asks for the password anyway!

Yes I am seeing the same problem. On my previous ROM, it works fine. It annoyed me, I've changed it to 1 minute (I think) and it seems to be ok now.

Like others said, I don't like the new battery icon... I'm using the default Windows Mobile desktop and it clashes with the colour (green icon on blue desktop!)

Edited by tsutton

Guest st3ph3n

Well I think the phone feels quicker. Pushed email is working an absolute treat too.

Things like clock and batter indicators I don't really notice because the first thing after the reset was to install Wisbar, Resco Explorer and SBSH Pocket Breeze to get a home screen and general interface for the device that is actually usable.

New comms manager is very slick too. No random reboots so far and I have all my old apps installed I think.

Battery life does seem better. Used TomTom on it yesterday afternoon and the drain was lower than expected.

Guest chucky.egg
- There's a new comms manager that replaces "flight mode" - you can choose to turn off the phone, gprs, push email, wi-fi, bluetooth and vibrate.

Not sure how I activate push email?

You turn Push Email on through ActiveSync.

Set your device to sync directly with the Exchange server, specify a schedule and away you go

Bear in mind that (apparently) if you use the Comm Manager button to toggle DirectPush on/off it will reset your schedule for Push Email to the default.

Guest tsutton

One thing that I found annoying was the comm manager loading up itself when I closed all programs and go back to the home screen - anyone get this issue?

Guest snoopstar

I just changed this morning from the I-Mate ROM to the new T-Mobile Rom and it certainly seems a bit quicker. My storage card problem of cards dissapearing seem to be ok at the moment. I've had the card in and out and it hasnt caused a problem. All looks good from my point of view so far.

Snoop.

Guest Phil Lee

So far it seems good after 2 days of use. I don't think I've had any ranbdom reboots yet. It does seem to be faster than the old ROM but like others have said that may be because I've streamlined what I have installed to just what I use. I've just started to experiment with push email via mail2web which does appear to work.

Guest davejphartley

OK I've never updated a rom. I have a vario on contract from t.mobile.I want to update it with this new ROM, but I also want to get rid of the tmobile customisation.

I heard a couple of folk here talking about stopping the ROM before it gets chance to install the cabs... is this safe? at what point do u do it.. I gues what I'm really after is a walkthrough on the best way to approach this. I don't want to pull the plug on a ROM installation on guess work..

thanks guys

Guest Swampie
Pull the battey when it starts the countdown for customised install. (just after the ROM update and the reboot)

I find it easier to just push the soft-reset button on the left hand side with the sylus when it starts the countdown.

Guest cooperdude

I upgraded to the previous rom when it came out but lost all my default settings. What do people recommend for backing up their settings? Is there anything free.

Last time I copied all my documents to my memory card, and this time I never saved anything to the ROM at all, but I'm worried about email settings and text messages and things.

Thanks

Guest mandt

Is anyone else having problems with the newer version of ClearVue PDF? Mine is practically unusable!!

Every time I need to scroll the page I get a Progress bar at the bottom of the screen while it loads.

I use it a fair bit so I really need this to work, does it have a cache I can increase perhaps? (clutching at straws here!)

or maybe there is another app I can use to view PDF's?

Cheers :)

Guest mandt

Ok never mind!

I have found Adobe reader for PPC V2 from here: LINK and even though it's not officially for WM5 it works! It's a bit on the large side though at almost 8MB but still better than Westeks offering

Guest mossywell

Would someone be so kind as to post the MMS settings in the new T-Mobile ROM? I know that it shouldn't have changed, but I'd just like to check to be sure. :)

Messaging --> MMS Configuration --> Servers etc etc.

Cheers

Guest Swampie
Would someone be so kind as to post the MMS settings in the new T-Mobile ROM? I know that it shouldn't have changed, but I'd just like to check to be sure. :)

Messaging --> MMS Configuration --> Servers etc etc.

Cheers

I just installed the .CAB file in the \extended_rom folder which mentioned MMS in it's name. Although I've not sent any MMS messages other than the 1 I needed to get my account enabled months ago. I've never received an MMS either. :)

Guest Howard Moon

I can't get my MMS to work after upgrading to the latest ROM. Do I need to find this MMS related ROM in the extended_rom folder and run it? If so, where is this folder?... I've searched on my Vario and can't find it

Guest Howard Moon

I can't get my MMS to work after upgrading to the latest ROM. Do I need to find this MMS related ROM in the extended_rom folder and run it? If so, where is this folder?... I've searched on my Vario and can't find it

Edit : How do I delete a duplicate post?

Edited by Howard Moon