M600 Just arrived :) - few questions...

Guest PaulF

Guest PaulF

Hi all

My M600 just arrived today (not sure if I prefer the new casing in 'matt black' or the old silver one on my M500, but anyway......)

Does anyone know if Voice Command (1.5) works with Windows Mobile 5?

Any good (free) apps out there to assign individual ring tones to contacts (or groups of contacts)?

Has anyone done a full list of all the Orange custom apps that are installed when you do the hard reset and what they all do - I had a good list for my M500 (and managed to avoid installing some of the less useful ones) - is there a similar list for the M600 yet ???

Looking forward to delving deep into this new toy (once Orange get round to migrating my number across - they said it should take 2 hours - and that was at 7pm..... but he did say it could be up to 24 hours, so I guess I'll look in the morning....)

Looks like WM5 has some nice features (not least the fact you can turn it off!!) - I'm liking the extra buttons, and the Comm Manager seems like it wil be a useful feature

Can't make my mind up about the new home screen - the 'orange' option (that gives all the buttons down the left hand side) is sort of cool, but I do like to have appointments/emails etc displayed on the home screen, and it seems you can't have both... I guess that's something else I can customise.

Lastly - I looked for the windows\rings folder (through explorer on Active Sync 4.1) to put in my favorite ring tone, and couldn't find a windows folder. Is that normal? I found 'My Device\Application Data\Sounds', and putting them in here seems to work OK (they appeared on the list under ring tone settings) - is this correct??

Cheers guys,

(must go to bed now and stop playing with my new toy !!!!)

PaulF

Edited by PaulF

Guest Tambo

Yup voice command works great on the M600-I have mapped the button 4 to start voice command & it's quick & works no probs, providing you are not embarrassed talking into your phone, you can launch any program etc.

I disabled the Orange today theme & you can still launch any progs thru start button or run word, excel, contacts, wmp, appointments, etc, via voice command without having to get your stylus out.

Well worth the money!

Guest EvilDaz

Hi Paul

The best App I have come accross for ring tones and caller ID etc is "Photo Contacts Pro" but this is not free. However, if you do spend money on any software, I recommend this, it is a must for me.

The best free Apps I have are:

Agile Messenger , this is a messaging app that lets you use MSN, Yahoo Messenger, ICQ etc all in one IM client. Their Alpha and Beta versions are free:

http://www.agilemobile.com/downloads.html

Mort player - This is a pretty good MP3player, see this thread

http://www.modaco.com/MortPlayer-t202905.html

OmapClock - This is a program that overclocks the processer. 240 Mhz is the highest stable setting I believe, the standard for the M600 is 180. You can use this to speed up the devic when using resource intensive games or you need many applications running. You can also underclock the processer so your battery lasts longer too.

Look here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic....dca8ae0e7bfb752

XnView - this is a picture viewing, management / slideshow app that is much beter than the built in one in WM5

http://www.xnview.com/

That is all the free software I use.

The other Apps I use are:

# Handy Switcher - switch to and close down any apps that are running in the background

# Resco File Explore + Reg Edit + FTP - good file explorer app, much more powerful than native WM5 one

# SPB Backup - Great for making full backups of my M600

# Pocket controller - must have for remote controling my M600 from PC, its like RDC for your M600. And its great for taking screenshots off your M6oo. Also, as its skinable it looks like just like an M600 on screen, only it says IMATE JAMin on the top :)

# Calligrapher 8.3 - like Transcriber but more accurate and powerful

# PhatPad 3 - plugs into Calligrapher, great for making notes etc.

# Handy Launcher - Not enough room in start menu for all your shortcust? this gives you to more, using tweaks2k2 (see below) I have set both softkeys from "calander" and "contacts" to launch both handylauncher menus instead. Itslike having 3 start menus. Great for 1 handed operation

# Chronos Clock - Multiple alarms, countdown timeres, stopwatch, very good and fairly cheap at $9

# Tweaks2k2 - lots of little cool hacks to personlize your device, recommended

# TomTOm - cool for getting from A to B :)

Hope this is of use

;)

Daz

Edited by EvilDaz

Guest teefaf

Could anyone tell me if Calendar+ and vbar are compatible with WM5? I use these constantly on my M500 as they're great, simple, extremely useful tools. Would be gutted to lose them on the M600.

Oh, and thanks for that list Daz, very useful! :)

Edited by teefaf

Guest EvilDaz

Your quite welcome. :)

I can't answer your queries about vbar and calander+ as I have never used these, this is my first pocket PC Device. However some WM2003 software should still work, but it is best to check the vendor website for more info.

However, from looking at Vbar on t'interweb, it would appear that Handyswitcher I mentioned above does the same thing.

Calander + looks like the later versions may work on WM5. However I'm sure there are many other alternative apps that would do the same.

:)

Daz

Edited by EvilDaz

Guest PaulF
Yup voice command works great on the M600

What version of Voice Command have you got?

I've got 1.5, but I couldn't get it fully working...

I installed it OK, and it activates, and will open contacts / call numbers etc - but I don't hear any of the voice prompts back from it (I could only use it because I can remeber what some of them are, so I know what it's waiting for...)

I get the 'bink' sound when I press the button, but when I give a command (like play music) I don't hear the reply ('what do you want to play') - if I say 'anything' after the icon re-appears, then it does play.

Also, when I went to uninstall it, it failed the uninstall, and I've had to hard reset to clear it off my phone..

Anyone got any ideas??

Thanks

PaulF