Hands on with the HTC Monet (formerly Trilogy)

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest sporkguy

I'd love to know what's behind HTC's naming scheme - it seems Magician, Wizard etc style naming convention denotes a 'powerful device' capable of many things..

With smartphones, Hurricane, Typhoon, Tornado etc - maybe they mean to refer to them as Smartphones that can put up with many weather conditions and are more heavy-wearing than the PPCs?

and now Monet - maybe this is their take on the sector of the industry for 'viewing pleasures' - art, etc?

God knows :|

Guest looeee

Hmm, another fugly phone from HTC

fwiw, sky are using drm encoded wmv files. Their install program makes it rather difficult to *fix* the files so they can be re-encoded for smartphone viewing.

Its not just sky that are putting out these files.

The BBC film network has lots of lovely hi-res short films for download (also DRM'ed but easier to *fix*)

Channel 4 have some nice short films too which can all be converted straight to the phone

I'd much rather watch something that is pre-recorded that I know isn't going to cut out on me mid-way. With the price of memory cards these days I can fit hours and hours of recordings on the phone and loads of music. Not that bothered about radio and tv, especially if I have to pay for the privilege

looeee

Guest cesar682

Hey paul,

i really need some help, just got the XDA Atom and i really want to change the apearance of it, i love to customize all my things, so thi is my new chalange, i want to make it look like yours, please let me know what i can do?

Im a newbe and dont understand much, but very eager to learn, please let me know how i can change my theme to make it more intersting and filled with gadgets.

thanX!

Big C

post-197103-1152039048_thumb.jpg

Guest Pagemakers

But what's the general broadcast reception quality like. Does it steam smoothly or is it full of dropouts?

Edited by Pagemakers

Guest MARKUKCOUK
But what's the general broadcast reception quality like. Does it steam smoothly or is it full of dropouts?

its not a stream in the internet fashion - it doesnt matter how many people are connected, its coverage that is important not bandwidth.

I don't think its gone beyond a very small sample test, so not many know what the quality is like. DAB coverage is quite ropey on a local level, but my in car DAB radio is perfect both locally and especially nationally (including Digital1 which is broadcasting the TV stuff).

If you get a digital radio and can receive Virgin Radio on it, this means you can get the Digital1 multiplex, and therefore the TV

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cjn001

Hi all,

I was in BT Tower for a meeting today and I had my hands on the Monet, its just going through the final testing for release on Virgin.

Spent most of the meeting watching E4!!!!

Guest Alexei
On a side note, why is this device named after an artist? Surely HTC could have come up with something a bit more TV-orientated? (or Magician/Wizard/etc obsqure!) :)

HTC Potter perhaps?

• 1 month later...
Guest dr_doolittle

[i was in BT Tower for a meeting today and I had my hands on the Monet, its just going through the final testing for release on Virgin.

Spent most of the meeting watching E4!!!!

• 4 years later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.