Intel to Sell XScale Business

Guest Monolithix

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

An interesting snippet from The Register this morning, most interestingly is the first paragraph:

Intel is to flog off its XScale processor operation, the chip giant said today. Themove paves the way for it to push low-power x86 CPUs at mobile phone and PDA makers. The buyer is comms chip company Marvell Technology Group, which is paying $600m cash for the product line and taking on "certain liabilities".

So will we be seeing Windows Mobile x86 or PocketPC-XP Edition? :)

Source

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

x86 is a generic term for all Intel and AMD (and others such as Transmeta) desktop processors. An x86 CPU would rock a PPC :)

Guest nausea
x86 is a generic term for all Intel and AMD (and others such as Transmeta) desktop processors. An x86 CPU would rock a PPC :)

Then they can make like XP-mobile and we can run normal X86 programs! Like old DOS games :) (at least in my dreams thats how it will be!)

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Er yeah...we get XP running on a handset the size of a PPC, and use it to play DOS games...

I'd much rather play something like counter strike, half life... :)

Guest Confucious

If we're lucky we'll get CGA graphics as well -4 whole colours (or should that be colors?)

I know, I know, even these Pentium thingies are x86, it just bought back memories of the "good" old days!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.