Smartphone - Open Text File

Guest ehsantl

Guest ehsantl

Hey guys

im newcomer in compact framework and i want to develop a program for my Smartphone(Sp3). im using vs.net 2005 and c#. but i stopped with stupid problem in my strating :) how can i open and read a text file? im very confuse :)

i used this command:

string strAppPath = System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly(

.GetName().CodeBase);

string mypath = strAppPath + "\\Dictionary.txt";

System.IO.StreamReader str = new System.IO.StreamReader(mypath);

and Text.txt is available in my project explorer in vs. but i receive then error:

FileNotFoundException

any idea?

Thanks

Edited by ehsantl

Guest ehsantl

thanks for making attention

what is the EXACT value of strAppPath? post it here.

strAppPath = "\\Storage\\Program Files\\LearningDic"

that LearningDic is my name of Project

and finally mypath = "\\Storage\\Program Files\\LearningDic\\Dictionary.txt"

it seems it's correct but i dont know why i get this error?

Guest Tech

What OS is the mobile device?

have you tried to remove the \\Storage part and leave the rest in?

ill take a look on my device (imate sp5m)

you may also want to use the special folder class to use the correct enum to access the special folders (start menu/program files etc...) and see if that helps

Edited by Tech

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Croccy22

Have you go this fixed yet?

Your post is a little confusing. You say the text.txt file is available in project explorer but your code is looking for dictionary.txt (Please tell me that is not the problem, he he). Best thing to do it create the streamreader instance with a fixed path of "\\Strorage\\Program Files\\MyApp\\Dictionary.txt" And then manually copy a file called dictionary.txt to this location and then see if it opens ok. If it does you can then try using the getdirectoryname method and test again to see if this is causing a problem. If that isn't the problem then it is more likely to do with the way yu are trying to distribute the Dictionary.txt file to the phone.

Hope I havn't misunderstood what you are trying to achieve.

Matt.

Hey guys

im newcomer in compact framework and i want to develop a program for my Smartphone(Sp3). im using vs.net 2005 and c#. but i stopped with stupid problem in my strating ;) how can i open and read a text file? im very confuse :)

i used this command:

string strAppPath = System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly(

.GetName().CodeBase);

string mypath = strAppPath + "\\Dictionary.txt";

System.IO.StreamReader str = new System.IO.StreamReader(mypath);

and Text.txt is available in my project explorer in vs. but i receive then error:

FileNotFoundException

any idea?

Thanks

Guest ehsantl
Have you go this fixed yet?

Your post is a little confusing. You say the text.txt file is available in project explorer but your code is looking for dictionary.txt (Please tell me that is not the problem, he he). Best thing to do it create the streamreader instance with a fixed path of "\\Strorage\\Program Files\\MyApp\\Dictionary.txt" And then manually copy a file called dictionary.txt to this location and then see if it opens ok. If it does you can then try using the getdirectoryname method and test again to see if this is causing a problem. If that isn't the problem then it is more likely to do with the way yu are trying to distribute the Dictionary.txt file to the phone.

Hope I havn't misunderstood what you are trying to achieve.

Matt.

Thanks Matt for repling

I found that I must enable "Copy To Device" for my text file in its properties. I also use "Remote File Viewer" in "Visual Studio Remote Tools" to saw what is in my emulator smartphone. I copied that file and problem solved! :)