Battery problem by MiniSD

Guest Senapone

Guest Senapone

It could sound a little strange, but this morning i start thinking that 1 MiniSD drain battery faster than another.

I got 2 MiniSD, the original 16MB and the 1GB one bought on eBay.

Till the 1GB MiniSD is arrived i put it in my phone and from that moment my battery does not power the phone from more than 14 hours (10% every hour).

This morning i change the MiniSD with the original one.

I changed the card at 11.00am while the battery was at 80% (i turn on the phone at 09.00) and now (it's 00.57am) the power is at 66%

It drain 20% of battery in 2 hours with the 1GB card and 14% in 13 hours with the 16MB one.

How it could be possible?

Does someone of you have found the same fact?

Guest whiteflippinjew

This doesn't surprise me at all. The fact that its a larger card requires more energy for files to be found, executed, and transfered. The worst kind of battery drain from an expansion card would be using the minidrive CF cards. They're litellary tiny hard drives so just getting the disc inside of the CF card to spin takes more energy than usual.

If you aren't constantly using the minisd card and its just sitting there still taking up battery life, then theres a program to just "turn off" the minisd card.

Guest Senapone
...The worst kind of battery drain from an expansion card would be using the minidrive CF cards. They're litellary tiny hard drives so just getting the disc inside of the CF card to spin takes more energy than usual...

Sorry but i found some difficult to understand this part of text.

What do you mean for "CF" ?

If you aren't constantly using the minisd card and its just sitting there still taking up battery life, then theres a program to just "turn off" the minisd card.

I only found the "BlindLemon SD Card On/Off" but it doesn't work on my WM5 C500.

Could you tell me more?

Thanks!

Edited by Senapone

Guest awarner (MVP)

This is not quite true about larger cards, miniSD cards are solid state and use minimal power. This is one reason why the format was used as it uses less power than SD cards. It is unlikely the miniSD card is the source of your problem but morelikely a rogue application running in the background.

1GB is a standard size now for miniSD now, if it caused problems there would be a lot of people complaining by now.

What make of card are you using? Also have you considered the dodgy ROM you are using could be the cause?

As for CF this stands for Compact Flash with is a format that has never been used in Smartphones but was popular in PocketPC like the Ipaq. Microdrives are basically small hard drives in the compact flash format.

These do use a lot of power as they have moving parts.

Guest Senapone

After a HardReset it's hard to think that a rogue application still exist.

I will do soon a MiniSD format with PC and than retry insert it to monitor the battery life.

I will also try to use the phone without any memory always to monitor the situation...

Thanks for the help!

Guest jm012a9749
Also have you considered the dodgy ROM you are using could be the cause?

this is true, i have heard over on spv-developers that WM5 for the c500 does drain the battery a fair bit but still seems a mystery to me why it would only do this with a 1gb card.... as for programs to turn the card 'off' you could simply use WM5torage and use that to effectively isolate the storage card from the rest of the phone as it will be inaccessible when WM5torage is running and activated

Phil

Edited by jm012a9749

Guest awarner (MVP)

What is the make? if it's sandisk or mobymemory then unless there is something very strange and possible faulty with the card.

I use both and have no change in battery life from when I had a 256MB card.

Guest JamieDow

I run a 2GB MiniSD card in my Vario with no problems at all. That said it did state on the packaging low power consumption.

I find this really odd that you are having this sort of difficulty, as awarner says they aren't meant to use up a lot of battery life.

Guest Senapone

No, it's not an SD or MobyMemory card.

I bought it on eBay... on the adapter there's this label "SD Mini 1 GB CnMemory" with a little image of a bullet. Nothing more.

I bougth the phone used, so i cannot say if with WM2003 the battery timelife was better.

I'll try to isolate the MiniSD with WM5Storage as soon as possible.

Many thanks for the hints! :)

Guest Senapone

I speak with WM5torage's author.

He reply me that his program doesn't turn off the power to MiniSD, it simply cut it off for the system usage.

The battery lifetime with the 16MB MiniSD is outstanding!

It's the 4th day of normal usage (i turn it off on night) and i still have 65%!

Edited by Senapone

Guest awarner (MVP)

You should be getting exactly the same with the 1GB I know I do.

Then again I'm not using dodgy ROM on my C500.

Guest Senapone

Your positions are clear, but i don't think to be the only WM5 powered typhoon's owner btw it seems i'm the only one affected by this problem.

I'm just trying to understand why and if a solution exist (i love WM5 and don't want to downgrade the ROM).

Guest Senapone

After some day of tests this is the situation:

- With the original SandDisk 16MB MiniSD - 5.5 days

- Without any MiniSD - 3 days

- With the eBay no brand 1GB MiniSD - 1 day

I really cannot understand... :)

Any suggest would be highly appreciate!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Xenzo1990

I have just put a brand new 512mb minisd in my c500. I am having the same 'issue', I can see battery life is reduced, but only when im running applications that are installed on the card. Battery life is fine when I have no applications from the card open.

Guest Toyota-F1.com
I have just put a brand new 512mb minisd in my c500. I am having the same 'issue', I can see battery life is reduced, but only when im running applications that are installed on the card. Battery life is fine when I have no applications from the card open.

I've never had any energy issues with the miniSD cards, always used 256MB SanDisk, and a few months ago changed to 512MB miniSD, and no change in power consumption. I also do no believe that if I used a 1 or 2GB miniSD (of SanDisk anyway) my phone would consume more battery power.

I'm using a standard Orange SPV C500, ROM 4.2.1.1.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest poceh

I'm experiencing the same issue with my phone (i-mate SP3 with WM5). With the stock card (128MB Kingmax) everything is OK with the power consumption, before one week I've bought 1GB miniSD Kingston card and my battery started to drain at about 3 times more power. For example - for one night it falls from 45% to only 4%. At about 10% for 2 hours (30-40mA in standby mode).

Tried with WM5torage, but the drain remained. Hard reset didn't helped at all.

I've replaced the card with 1GB miniSD Transcend and everything is perfect now. 2-3% for 2 hours in standby. 12mA power consumption in standby.

So it's clear for me that the problem was in the card itself.

Guest Senapone
I'm experiencing the same issue with my phone (i-mate SP3 with WM5). With the stock card (128MB Kingmax) everything is OK with the power consumption, before one week I've bought 1GB miniSD Kingston card and my battery started to drain at about 3 times more power. For example - for one night it falls from 45% to only 4%. At about 10% for 2 hours (30-40mA in standby mode).

Tried with WM5torage, but the drain remained. Hard reset didn't helped at all.

I've replaced the card with 1GB miniSD Transcend and everything is perfect now. 2-3% for 2 hours in standby. 12mA power consumption in standby.

So it's clear for me that the problem was in the card itself.

Oh my God, so i'm not alone! :)

I will try a Transcend one, hoping to resolve the prob.

Many thanks for the hint.

Guest nasilemak_rm4
Oh my God, so i'm not alone! :)

I will try a Transcend one, hoping to resolve the prob.

Many thanks for the hint.

I am using Transcend mini sd 1G x80 for my O2 Atom. I found this forum when I am searching for solutions for my suspected incompatibility of my mini sd and my Atom.

Although there are many negative feedback on the power consumption of Atom, I suspect my Atom consume more power than usual because when I turn on my Atom in the morning after fully charged it at night, the battery indicator will only show 70%. Tried all sorts of advise eg. flash latest rom, turn off everything, brightness to lowest, etc etc but problem still persist until I took out the mini SD 1 night and the next morning the battery meter showed 97%.

I really do not know what to do now. Should I get a new brand with slower speed maybe around 60x?

Senapone,

Hope you try Transcend before you actually buy 1.

Guest Senapone
I am using Transcend mini sd 1G x80 for my O2 Atom...

...problem still persist until I took out the mini SD 1 night and the next morning the battery meter showed 97%...

Senapone, Hope you try Transcend before you actually buy 1.

Unfortunatly i don't know anyone that use MiniSD, so i cannot borrow it from someone.

I'm forced to buy a new one.

My Girlfriend buy yesterday a new digital nikon and i give her my old "unnamed" 1 GB MiniSD as a gift.

It works really good...

But it's a fact that with THAT MiniSD (and not with the 16MB one) my Phone expire the battery in 14 hours.

So the problems could be:

- phone not supporting high card (everyone on this forum demonstrate this is false)

- Faulty card (even with high compsuntion the card worked, and it now work really good on my girlfriend nikon so...)

- Crappy ROM (this is false and your situation is the demonstration)

- Incompatibility between phone and card.

At the moment the only way it's the 4th...

On this forum i had read about people with the same problem with Kingstone card and now you with Transcend.

The working 16MB card is a SanDisk.

Wich brand should i buy?

Edited by Senapone

• 3 weeks later...