Time is short... should I keep this wizard?

Guest rahdo

Guest rahdo

Hello everyone. I just signed up with T-mobile to get their cheap unlimited data service. I had intended to use it with my Treo 650, but when I found how cheaply I could pick up a Vario, I decided to give it a go. I've been messing with it for a few days now, and I like it a lot, but there's a few deal breakers that make me think I should send it back before my 7 day return policy is up.

The two BIG problems I've got functionality wise are:

Often when I try to open my mailbox, the list of emails won't display. The bars at the top and bottom of the screen update, but I can't actually see any emails. When this starts happening, the only way I can get it back to normal is to soft reboot the system. Shutting down programs alone doesn't seem to help. This is such a huge PITA, anything to be done about it?

The #1 thing i use my smart phone is to jot notes and set alarms for them. I do this dozens of times every day to keep track of a million things at work, and without this functionality, everything goes to hell. I've been using Bugme successfully for years on various PDAs and smartphone platforms, but on this phone, I find that when an alarm is supposed to go off, the phone won't wake up if its in standby. I've tried a bunch of other alarm programs too (multitimer, resco sticky, phatpad, and several more) and they all seem to have this problem.

Any suggestions on how to fix these two problems? If this is a "just the way it is" sort of thing, then I've only got a couple of days to get this boxed up and sent back for a refund and stick with my trusty Treo. That would be a shame though... I really do like a lot of the features of this phone...

Guest waynepyrah
Hello everyone. I just signed up with T-mobile to get their cheap unlimited data service. I had intended to use it with my Treo 650, but when I found how cheaply I could pick up a Vario, I decided to give it a go. I've been messing with it for a few days now, and I like it a lot, but there's a few deal breakers that make me think I should send it back before my 7 day return policy is up.

You using the latest t-mobile rom??

If you click the button above volume control do you have 7 options?

Guest rahdo
You using the latest t-mobile rom??

If you click the button above volume control do you have 7 options?

Yup, came installed that way (with the MSN stuff, etc.). according to the device info screen, i'm on 2.21.2.6 WWE

Guest waynepyrah
Yup, came installed that way (with the MSN stuff, etc.). according to the device info screen, i'm on 2.21.2.6 WWE

Maybe try a hard reset and start from scratch... had a few issues with mine in early days but seems loads better now (been using Imate rom since day 3 and now new t-mobile rom for all of 2 hours)

Guest rahdo
Maybe try a hard reset and start from scratch... had a few issues with mine in early days but seems loads better now (been using Imate rom since day 3 and now new t-mobile rom for all of 2 hours)

yeah, i should have mentioned i tried that last night. and now today i've got the same thing.

now, for the record, i'm dl'ing the last 2 days worth of mail, to have at the ready when i need it, and that's a couple hundred messages. is that too much for the lil fellah to handle?

also, more important is the problem with bugme style functionality not working when the phone is in sleep mode. is this standard? does anyone else use any software like this for the wizard?

Edited by rahdo

Guest rahdo

ooh boy. I just did a forum search for alarm and discovered that apparently a lot of people report this exact same problem, and that no one has found a solution in the last 8 months. that's bad.

one thing i can't tell from the previous threads however is if this is a problem only with some people's phones, or a fundamental flaw with the entire platform. can someone in the know tell me if alarms can actually wake this phone up, and that maybe i just need a replacement?

Guest rahdo

Hmm, if no one here knows if alarms work usually, and I've just got a bad phone, does anyone recommend any other wizard forums out there for me to ask at? Thanks!

Guest rahdo

Wow, thanks nutty! That's an awesome site, and very informative for my problem. When I found a thread entitled: WRAP: the Wizard Reliable Alarm Project, I knew I had come to the right place. Now I've got some reading to do!

Edited by rahdo

Guest beermonstermatt

Had my Wizard for about 3 months now, (Tmob but running I-Mate ROM) use the phone as my alarm clock every morning (Using the built in alarm) and so far it has not let me down. Did try StopTime as I liked some of the features and had your problem, it just would not wake up when an alarm went off, so the phone is capable of waking up, maybe its a software compatibility issue with Wizard devices?

Guest rahdo

Well, for anyone who's curious as to what my final solution was for my two main problems:

Alarms: on the dev site, where a lot of people were talking about the problem, a little app called WakeupTweak (http://www.burroak.on.ca/ptafaq.html) was suggested. I tried it, and it seems (so far) to have completely solved this problem.

Mail freezing: i've now overclocked the phone and made the registry cache tweaks, and find that it's not slowing down/hanging any more. A great guide for speeding up the phone is here: http://mobilitytoday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11755 for anyone who's curious to try.

So yay! I'll probably have more questions soon, but thanks for the help so far!

Edited by rahdo