Memory card not found?

Guest Iteki

Guest Iteki

Just got my memory card, and stuck it in the top.

Went on over to the settings/system/memory and had a peep, but it says "no card installed" ....

:)

Went to file explorer, and it only has the option "my terminal" or whatever up top, no "storage unit" or similar.

Did a soft reboot (if that's the right word for turning it off with the 5-sec press and back on again) but still not seen. Am I missing some step? I tried to RTFM but there doesn't seem to be any info there...

I didn't have a card in it previously so I don't know if it has ever worked with a card.

It is a sandisk sd-mini 2gig so it isn't an off-brand or whatever. What to do, what to do?

Guest turbo lemon
Just got my memory card, and stuck it in the top.

Went on over to the settings/system/memory and had a peep, but it says "no card installed" ....

:)

Went to file explorer, and it only has the option "my terminal" or whatever up top, no "storage unit" or similar.

Did a soft reboot (if that's the right word for turning it off with the 5-sec press and back on again) but still not seen. Am I missing some step? I tried to RTFM but there doesn't seem to be any info there...

I didn't have a card in it previously so I don't know if it has ever worked with a card.

It is a sandisk sd-mini 2gig so it isn't an off-brand or whatever. What to do, what to do?

The first thing I'd do is see if you can see it in any other devices, like a memory card reader etc.

It could be a faulty card.

I've got a generic 2Gb card on the way, and am dreading having the same problem when it arrives....

Edited by turbo lemon

Guest hotphil

Takle it out and reinsert it a few times. I had a right panic when mine didn't get recognised the first time. Once it's been recognised, format it in the phone.

Guest Iteki
Takle it out and reinsert it a few times. I had a right panic when mine didn't get recognised the first time. Once it's been recognised, format it in the phone.

phil, you are not only hot, you are a genius! I now see the card! Next stupid question is how to format?

Will experiment in the meantime and google, but I figured I might as well get the question out there, just in case :)

Guest adchaffey
phil, you are not only hot, you are a genius! I now see the card! Next stupid question is how to format?

Will experiment in the meantime and google, but I figured I might as well get the question out there, just in case :)

Look for "Storage Tools" for pocket pc. Works great for me!

Guest Iteki

Ah, gotcha! Do I need to though really? It seems to be working now, I tried moving over a few files and it took them happily. It says the card is 1936.88 megs, which should be about right no? I mean it never says "2000meg" does it?

Guest hotphil

If all is working well, then it might be best just to leave it! Believe, after the day I've had I wouldn't mess with anything that's working! :-)

Sometimes I've found that formatting it in the phone using a 3rd party app can solve some issues with a card not being recognised in the phone/a card reader/both. If it seems OK, keep with it.

1936.88 seems about right.

Keep on truckin'

Guest Iteki

G'damn, one step forward, one step back! I see it in the phone, good deal.

I stuck it in the little adapter and could view my photies on the puter, so far so good.

How and ever, when I then try to fling all my nice new cabs onto the card, I get "the device is write protected" rubbish. A bit of fiddling shows me there is a "lock" button, with less than intuitive explaination as to what is locked and what is not, but fine, I can try both ways. Neither way works, both ways give me the "unit is write protected" crap. Can I go mental now please? Anyone recognise this issue?

Guest pdtp
G'damn, one step forward, one step back! I see it in the phone, good deal.

I stuck it in the little adapter and could view my photies on the puter, so far so good.

How and ever, when I then try to fling all my nice new cabs onto the card, I get "the device is write protected" rubbish. A bit of fiddling shows me there is a "lock" button, with less than intuitive explaination as to what is locked and what is not, but fine, I can try both ways. Neither way works, both ways give me the "unit is write protected" crap. Can I go mental now please? Anyone recognise this issue?

it may not be as fast has having it in the pc but try using WM5storge http://www.modaco.com/WM5torage-t238545.html and transfering your cabs to the card and yes it does work on the wizard too

Edited by pdtp

Guest hotphil

As it's not playing ball, I'd try reformatting the card now (obviously make copies of anything important on it first). Try reformatting it in your PC card reader first and check the PC can write/read to it with no probs, then put in the Vario and see if it likes it. Someone may correct me, but I think it's important you format the card as FAT rather than FAT32.

Guest Iteki

You guys are a great help. I have installed WM5torage and it works lovely. The problem with it not being write-enabled in the card reader is apparantly due to the sandisk usb card-reader I bought late last year not being able to handle 2 gig cards (no, not even sandisk ones). Tried it in a newer card reader and no problem at all. Bloody hell!

Guess I need a new one of them so.