Getting GPRS to stay online for messenger on C550

Guest C++ Developer

Guest C++ Developer

Has anybody found any settings or a workaround to keep the C550 online under GPRS so that MS Messenger can remain active? I have variously tried (under data connections / options) GPRS timeout settings of 'NONE', 'Never and '10 mins' but whatever I choose messenger signs out after 5 minutes.

Guest pd.ryder

Have you got the MS Messenger option selected for 'sign in whenever there's a connection'? I've never left mine idle for that long I don't think, but it might solve your sign-out probs (assuming its Messenger thats dropping out rather than the GPRS)

Hope it helps...:)

Guest nevawlkalone
Have you got the MS Messenger option selected for 'sign in whenever there's a connection'? I've never left mine idle for that long I don't think, but it might solve your sign-out probs (assuming its Messenger thats dropping out rather than the GPRS)

Hope it helps...:)

Messenger auto signs out after five minutes as standard on mobiles....i think its so the data charges stay low!

Guest C++ Developer
Messenger auto signs out after five minutes as standard on mobiles....i think its so the data charges stay low!

Thanks for the information. What a nuisance it is though. Surely on GPRS an inactive messenger would be a low data user anyway? Perhaps they don't want people hanging on messenger as they will lose revenue from SMS!

Does anybody know of a patch that changes this behaviour?

Guest C++ Developer

Do you know if this 5 minute timeout is a function of the MS Messenger software, or the GPRS. i.e. If I ran the utility suggested above to ping at regular intervals would that change things?

Guest pd.ryder

Does the 'G' symbol revert to the antenna (GPRS dropped) or does Messenger ask you to sign in again with the 'G' still present?

Guest nevawlkalone
Do you know if this 5 minute timeout is a function of the MS Messenger software, or the GPRS. i.e. If I ran the utility suggested above to ping at regular intervals would that change things?

It an MSN Setting

Does the 'G' symbol revert to the antenna (GPRS dropped) or does Messenger ask you to sign in again with the 'G' still present?

It asks you to sign in again, the G on its own tell yous that GPRS is available with the square round it is its connected!

Guest pd.ryder
It asks you to sign in again, the G on its own tell yous that GPRS is available with the square round it is its connected!

I meant the 'G' above the signal bars :)

Guest C++ Developer
I meant the 'G' above the signal bars :)

Yes, that 'G' remains there. I wonder if there is a registry entry to change the Messenger timeout?