Charging phone when it is powered off completely

Guest zen123

Guest zen123

Just got a replacement O2 Mini S as my previous one got trashed by my 2 yr old girl. O2 were good enough to send me a replacement even though it was obviuosly user inflicted damage.

Only problem is the phone doesn't charge when it is swithced off completely (not in standby mode).

Is this a fault with the phone as I distinctly remember my previous one being able to do it.

Also my Qtek 8500 & the wifes Dopod S100 charges when the phone is off.

Guest zen123
Are you charging from USB or mains? I think it should charge from mains, but may not from USB.

Its actually usb cable attached to a usb converter mains adapter, if you know what I mean. I haven't tried it with the proper mains adapter so I'll have to try that.

Guest zen123

OK just tried it with the supplied mains charger & yes it does charge when the phone is off. Now that's the beauty of these forums you learn somthing new all the time.

But this rather concerns me because when I travel I usually only ever take the usb cable & charger plug as I have other items that use the same cable & it saves having to take 4 or 5 different chargers. As I've never had the phone battery to completely drain before I charged it I just realised that if I did I'd have been stuck with a phone that wouldn't charge & with all my contacts & other personal stuff in it I'd would have been well & truly stuffed.

Strange that such a supposedly high tech gadget behaves this way. I'm presuming that this is a software issue & as such could be rectified if the makers thought it was important enough.

Guest Swampie
Its actually usb cable attached to a usb converter mains adapter, if you know what I mean. I haven't tried it with the proper mains adapter so I'll have to try that.

That's your problem then.

The USB charger supplied by the manufacturer isn't just a simple 5v and ground which most USB cables + mains converter adaptors do, they also need a certain two pins being grounded together.

There's a historical thread on here about car chargers and how ones bought for other phones which have USB plugs on them not working with the Wizard/Vario/Mini-S. Even some (3rd party ones) which claim to be okay don't work (obviously not tested and manufacturer just assumed it would work).

So it's not a software issue with the phone - it's a hardware issue with your charger. It's not designed for this phone.