TTYN / Vario II - That USB plug!

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Guest MARKUKCOUK

I dunno if people have picked up on this, but since I hadn't - I thought I'd post.

The weird shaped Mini-USB on the Hermes WILL also accept standard Mini-USB plugs.

Excellent news for users of older PDAs with mini-usb chargers!

It doesn't get away from the annoyance of not being able to charge while having headphones/connection to stereo plugged in, but its a start.

Now roll on the splitter :)

Guest fluffcat1

All mini usb connectors from b spec forwards are compatible. Before the Vario II, there were 3 I knew of, mini USB on cameras etc designed for receiving devices with a completley distinct shape, mini USB B as used on the likes of mpx200, mp3 players etc, again a 1 way protocol for dumb devices, then came mini usb a-b OTG (on the go) used on typhoon, magician etc etc. In theory this is a two way protocol allowing devices to be USB hosts if they supported it.

The Eten m500 supported USB host though the m600 does not.

I can't translate the specs for the new shape connector as it's a PDF but as USB mini a-b OTG cables as well as USB mini b will fit hopefully it is something the vario II can do.

The common shape for the male end of the plug will never change according to USB.org to allow easy cable replacement. How nice of them :-)

Some pictures here:

http://www.cypressindustries.com/products/usb.html

loads of unecessary info here: www.usb.org

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bronksy

Sooo.. hang on.. how do you use headphones with this then... I thought i was techie... assuming you dont use the rubbish they give you, and i'm guessing it won't support stereo over bluetooth..