MoDaCo Summer Event 2006: Hands on with the SPV M3100 (HTC Hermes)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest FragMeister

there were no pictures of the left side, but i couldnt see in th face-on picture any sign of the thumb-wheel, which was there in many of the early pictures of the hermes.

has this been dropped from the final version, or was i just not able to see it in these pics?

Guest difensore
Does anyone think there will be a Dopod version of the Hermes?

actually the first one which released a flavor the HTC Hermes is HTC's subsidiary DOPOD ... it's called the CHT9000

Guest eyecam
I'm genuinley interested in moving back to SE i kinda liked my P900, but i thought WM was more what i needed.. but i am kinda bored with flakey software and crappy crashes.. Why are they so different?

I really like a keypad to type numbers in and even sms, i find tapping the screen not the best.. no tacktile feedback etc..

So without pulling aprt the OS of each system, I think i genuinely have a dilemma here with which to go for?

I loved my P900i it was a great phone and a great PDA and the OS was very stable.

I was actually waiting for the P990 when I last changed phone and ended up getting the Vario.

Glad I didn't wait now as it will be nearly a year later when the 990 finally appears.

I have noticed that the Vario is not as stable as the Symbian OS (though I do end up fiddling with new bits of software all the time, I did the same on the p910i)

The P990 has a whole new symbian OS so hopefully they have ironed out the problems with the M600 before it.

The other thing is that 6 months into a 18 month contract the plastics on the Vario are beginning to rub away on the sides and its already looking a bit tired. The p910i looked good as new after 12 months.

Roll on March when I get to choose again. By then it will be the P10000 and HTC FuTre Probably :)

Guest Ingvarr

Its reported that battery life is about the same as it was at Magician/S100/S110

That is, about 1.5 times lower then at Wizard/Prophet in lower-power modes as MP3 playing or eBooks (thats about 10 hours for Hermes when Wizard had 15).

External UMTS chipset(in OMAP it was integrated into cpu) and more power-hungry processor took their toll...

Guest jm012a9749
Yah, I think I'll manage too.

battery life isnt a major concern for me as i leave my phone on charge every night.

Just wish they'd hurry up and release the damn thing.

I know the feeling! The wait for this one to come out on T-Mobile is killing me!!! :)

Phil

oooooooooo 200 posts ;)

Guest Syphon Filter
C'mon chaps - thread is a week old now and we were promised a review!!!!!

lol...give em time mate...the devices dont grow on trees...

*syphon pictures that tree* drooooooooooooooool!

I am guessing it's not ready for release just yet...perhaps there are some issues. Does anyone know if this supports A2DP out of the box?

I'm getting desperate...my "Hermes Fund" is slowly being nibbled at for other bits and pieces!

Guest bugeyes

you may get one sooner than you think!

this may only be for business users but according to orange business upgrades the spv m3100 is due out within the week!

lets hope the guy wasn't talking out of his @rse!

or just trying to put me off asking for the m600 again!

Guest bronksy

Mornin...

Well people, orange retail have August as a release date now (not July anymore) on theis intranet...

I think i'm gonna stick with PPC, least of all because there's just more out there for it and you folk are just too helpful for getting things sorted.. so ...

Anyone know if the screen is the same size as the Vario variants.. just wondering 'cos i'm gonna get me some screen protectors and wondered if i can pick some up so i'm ready for action...

be well...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Casper, can I ask you a stupid Orange related question? (He said asking the question ANYWAY!), I got my SPV from Orange yesterday, phoned the registration line, admittedly quite late, 11pm, and was told to wait for a text message that would come through in the next two hours. I put the new sim card in the handset, left it on and waited, all the phone is showing me is that it's searching for a network, and has been since last night, I called Orange again this morning who told me it could take up to 24 hours for the text to be sent, but is it right that it's showing "Searching"? The rest of the handset works fine, I'm probably just being impatient..

Thanks! :(

Switch the radio off - tap on the icon where the one, two, three dots are (at the top of the screen), select "Turn on flight mode" and wait for about 5 minutes (or longer if you can stand it :) ). Then tap on the radio icon again, select "Turn off flight mode" and hopefully your activation text should come through :rolleyes:

HTH, Mark.

Guest CasperUK
Casper, can I ask you a stupid Orange related question? (He said asking the question ANYWAY!), I got my SPV from Orange yesterday, phoned the registration line, admittedly quite late, 11pm, and was told to wait for a text message that would come through in the next two hours. I put the new sim card in the handset, left it on and waited, all the phone is showing me is that it's searching for a network, and has been since last night, I called Orange again this morning who told me it could take up to 24 hours for the text to be sent, but is it right that it's showing "Searching"? The rest of the handset works fine, I'm probably just being impatient..

Thanks! :rolleyes:

I dont know if this message is redundant now as I am sure you'll be sorted already, The guy in the shop said it would take 2 hours to transfer everything (i was getting searching too) I phoned and they said no no no it takes anything from 2 - 24 hours. so I just used the 600 with the old sim in and left the new phone with the new 3g sim. At one point tho something odd happened. New text messages were being sent to the new phone but to reply I needed to use the old one. After about 20 hours I was completely sorted. It helps to either turn the phone off and on after 5 minutes or you could do the same by putting it in flight mode for a spell. I got 2 text messages saying phone updated and another restart and it was all lovely.

I must say I am still well impressed with this phone and I have had none of the troubles with screen calibration that some people have reported. There are a few niggles which when I have more time I will post but at the moment I'm giving this phone a 9.5/10 and the title of best phone I have ever owned.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Monolithix (MVP)

They are still SIM locked and you need to simunlock them using the developers portal and emailing them for an unlocker...there are other methods though, take a look at the typhoon forum :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.