Export Text Messages to Text File

Guest SeizSys

Guest SeizSys

Free SMS Export tool available for Windows Mobile Phones:

SMS Exporter

Wrote this application because I wanted to be able to store received text messages.

Looking for user feedback.

requires .NET CF 2.0

Guest M@rkC
Hello. Welcome to the forum. Can you provide us a screenshot of your app? Thanks. :)

Hi - that sounds like a useful application; how do we get to download it? Your site wants a username and password in order to get to the download page and there's nowhere to register......bit of a hindrance IMHO!

If you provide details of how we go about downloading it, I'd be happy to test the application and give you some feedback.

Cheers, Mark.

Guest SeizSys
Your site wants a username and password in order to get to the download page and there's nowhere to register......bit of a hindrance IMHO!

Hello Mark - by accident there were login credentials required - now you will have access.

Guest SeizSys
any chances of it doing the reverse aswell? so putting text files back in to your textmessages.

I did not think of that because I don't need it. If there are more requests in that direction, I might implement it.

Guest M@rkC
Hello Mark - by accident there were login credentials required - now you will have access.

Sorry man.....too much like hard work for a free app.....I entered my name and email address to get the download link emailed to me and it arrived very quickly. I clicked on the link in the email to download the app, which included a "key code" or similar; the download page loaded as far as 37% and then stopped!! I closed my browser and retried the download link and it said.........

Error

Either this key has been used already, or it's not a valid download key

....time to give up!!!

Why don't you just upload the application to the MoDaCo freeware section so everyone can get at it - if it's useful, people will give you feedback or suggestions for future versions. Sadly, as it stands now, I can't even get hold of a copy to try what looks like a useful piece of software :)

Mark.

Guest Confucious

This lookeds good - had no problems downloading the cab once I got the linkl (very quick). But when i click on the cab it very quickly says !Installation of SMSExporter.cab was unsuccessful!

Tried a soft reset and still the same :)

Device = HTC Universal (o2Exec WM5 PPC AKU2)

Thanks for writing the app and look forward to getting it working. Welcome to the forum!

Sugestions:

1) upload to the "downloads" section of this site

2)Would like to also be able to save sent items (I dion't bellieve this is possible? as I say I haven't been able to try it)

3) Would like to be able to upload back to the phone - I hate losing all my texts when I do an upgrade etc.

A good first post, if you can get the bugs sorted and get this working it will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Guest SeizSys

Thank you all for the feedback.

You probably did not expect to not only test a Windows Mobile application, but also the download key generation and verification. I am sorry it did not work right away...

Sorry man.....too much like hard work for a free app.....I entered my name and email address to get the download link emailed to me and it arrived very quickly. I clicked on the link in the email to download the app, which included a "key code" or similar; the download page loaded as far as 37% and then stopped!! I closed my browser and retried the download link and it said.........

....time to give up!!!

Sorry about that, Mark. Usually my server is very reliable and has plenty of bandwidth, so I did not expect such problems on downloading.

I changed the key verification routine. One key is good for five downloads now :)

This lookeds good - had no problems downloading the cab once I got the linkl (very quick). But when i click on the cab it very quickly says !Installation of SMSExporter.cab was unsuccessful!

Tried a soft reset and still the same :D

Device = HTC Universal (o2Exec WM5 PPC AKU2)

It will work on your device. The download script added a TAB at the beginning of the cab file.

That is corrected now. You may go ahead and give it another try.

Sugestions:

1) upload to the "downloads" section of this site

2)Would like to also be able to save sent items (I don't bellieve this is possible? as I say I haven't been able to try it)

3) Would like to be able to upload back to the phone - I hate losing all my texts when I do an upgrade etc.

1) I'm a bit of a control freakon this, as I want this to be commercial one day.

I posted in this forum to see if there is a market for such an application.

Knowing the email address of the users, I can send out information about new versions and invite them to purchase once there is a web shop for it ;)

2) In theory it's possible to save sent items as well, but as I do hardly send, I have not implemented it (as yet).

3) Reimport might also be possible, but I would have to change the text file format. In it's current form, it would be quite hard to parse it correctly.

A good first post, if you can get the bugs sorted and get this working it will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Please let me know if you run into more troubles.

Guest Confucious

Thanks for the prompt reply - fixed now and installs.

1) You didn't mention this is time limited so will expire on30/09/06

2) user interface is a bit 'primative' but I have just exported 591 texts to a filke which is great news.

Thanks.

Guest M@rkC
Sorry about that, Mark. Usually my server is very reliable and has plenty of bandwidth, so I did not expect such problems on downloading.

I changed the key verification routine. One key is good for five downloads now :)

Nice one!!! All downloaded and installed. I'll give it a whirl over the next few days and report back with any problems or suggestions....

Thanks for sorting it out Stefan!

Cheers, Mark.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest M@rkC
Nice one!!! All downloaded and installed. I'll give it a whirl over the next few days and report back with any problems or suggestions....

Thanks for sorting it out Stefan!

Cheers, Mark.

OK Stefan, it must be time for me to report back :)

The program "does what it says on the tin" - i.e., it exports all the text messages from your SMS Inbox. It could benefit (especially if you are consider charging for it) from one or two enhancements (IMHO) to make it into a really useful tool.....so, here goes!

1. The ability to select only the Inbox messages you want - with an "all" option so you don't have to tick every message ;) - this is not so important if you can........

2. ....offer a choice of output format. I'd like to see a "comma-delimited" option (i.e. .CSV) so I can pull them all into Excel and massage the resultant list.

3. The ability to get messages from other folders; I'd like to be able to get a list of all my "Sent Items" so I have a record of everything I've sent. If this is possible, it would also be nice to be able to delete the sent items once they've been exported.

4. The icon for the program in the "Programs" folder is a bit naff - looks like it's been stolen (badly) from Outlook or something!!

I think that's about it for now - if I think of anything else, I'll post again....

Cheers,

Mark.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The application comes to the end of the PreRelease period. I wish to thank everybody involved for the testing.

The latest release supports licensing.

The license key is available for 6 EUR until September 30th, 8 EUR afterwards in the online shop

This shop uses PayPal for payment processing and the license will be sent out immediately after payment.

• 10 months later...