Newbie to Satnav on m5000

Guest nowimboard

Guest oink1
Good morning guys,

I want to get my M5000 Satnav ready and have been looking on ebay at gpr receivers. I just wanted to check that all I needed was a bluetooth receiver paired to the phone, and an SD card with the tomtom software and maps on.

Here's a example reciever I was looking at

Thanks in advanced

Thats all you need - though i'd be inclined to spend a little more on the GPS receiver...

Guest nowimboard

Hi,

Well I bought a receiver, that should be coming tomorrow, But im having some extra problems....

I've been given Tomtom 5 which was put on a 512mb Sd card.

The install failed to trun from the SD card, so I looked on the Tomtom site and I found that there was an updated available. Just trying to install it but its locked up the phone it looks like.

Is there a specfic way that Im supposed to install tomtom?

Im going to try get the cd direct tomorrow, but I wanted to make sure that Tomtom 5 was acutally going to work on the M5000?

Ive done a google search and there seems to be a load of problems with it. Is this becuase A) its a Pocket PC rather than a phone (IE c500) and B ) its Windows Mobile 5?

Any comment will be greatlly appreicated.

John

Edited by nowimboard

Guest Shaunfarris

Nothing specific I had to do.

just plugged my M5000 into my computer, put in my SD card with TomTom on, it autostarts follow the instructions, when asked to register it say yes, because you are already connect via activsync it just goes off asks you some questions and all done.

You do need to be running the very latest version for it to work on the M5000 tho. I bought mine about 3 months ago and have had not 1 issue with using it or installing it.

Guest nowimboard

Well I opted and bought this Receiver

Finally have the latest Tomtom working on the phone, took the IT guy all weekend! ;)

He had to apparently dissasemble to program, use activsync to port all the files across, THEN re-assemble!

Now, I cant get the GPS Receiver to pair properly with the phone. I've always had problems paring the bluetooth on smartphones, My C500 was a nightmare and the M5000 is just as bad.

My problem is, when im in bluetooth manager, the phone will pick up the receiver and allow me to put in the Passkey, it gives me the option to select "Serial Port" (which I have tried selecting and deselecting on various attempts), the lights on the Receiver flash for maybe 10 seconds, then stop. The phone or the receiver is loosing the paring.

Am I doing something wrong as usual, is the phone just rubbish at bluetooth connections, or is there a receiver problem? I have emailed the seller just incase to ask for his imput. BUt your guys are normally much more helpfull! :)

I attached the user guide just incase this would help anyone with my question!

GPS_Bluetooth_User_s_Guide.pdf

Guest nowimboard
This is illegal and against forum rules to discuss.

No its not, not when I've A) had this out with a moderator already and B ) It was from my IT department from work.

God this board has gone down hill since I joined. Everyone used to be so help full. I understand the need for rules and to comply to company requests. But there are so many negative attitudes now.

Try reading http://www.modaco.com/Tomtom-on-M500-t243392.html

I wrote that when the mod deleted this thread. Then when I explained the situation he undeleted. So you read this one that didnt have all the information in it.

Edited by nowimboard

Guest nowimboard
Many appologies - but TT is so widly pirated. I should not have jumped to conclusions.

Have you got it working now?

Yes I have thanks, I followed the information in the other thread, I didnt think it would apply to my problem, but it does!