new to pocket pc. Any one have newbie guide?

Guest mickthetree

Guest mickthetree

Hi there - first post.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good newbies guide to Pocket PCs and what all the annograms mean, 3G, 3.5G, HSCDS, EDGE etc or if you could explain a few things here. (maybe a sticky??)

Requirements

I'm a web developer and want to be able to do my emails out on the road. I have built content managment systems that I need to be able to edit via a browser out of the office. I have been to an O2 shop and a Tmobile shop, but no one in either knew anything about any of the devices and they didnt have any working ones for me to try.

I love the look of the new HTC tytn and it looks like it would do everything I need, but the larger screen might be necessary for the web side of things.

I have read a load of posts about different tarriffs etc, but with all these differrent methods of connecting, 3G, wifi etc would you set your device up to use all of them depending on where you are and what is available? Or do you choose one or two and set those up?

I currently use a w800i and pick up some pop email accounts on there, but it is really klunky. I'm with orange but I'm moving to a place soon where they dont have a signal. O2 and Tmobile do though.

I appreciate any help you maybe able to provide.

Guest Palindrome

Hi and welcome to the site.

There aren't any stickies containing the info you wanted (AFAIK) but a search through the forum should produce required answers. Failing that have a look at the links below.

EDGE

3G

3.5G

HSCSD

If you're interested in the Tytn (when it's releaseed) then T-Mobile would be a good choice especially with unlimited internet for a fixed fee. T-Mobiles' website will have more details about phones and plans.

You shouldn't have any problems retrieving emails on the road with any Windows Mobile phone device but I share your thoughts on the size of the screen. At least there's a choice of browsers (IE, Opera and NetFront) which will enable different handling of how the contents fit onto the screen.

Edited by Palindrome

Guest Paul (MVP)

As a starting point, how about giving the device emulator a bash:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

And seeing how your CMS works through it? It'll also let you have a play with the email facilities etc.

Should the CMS not render very nicely thru Pocket IE, then you can install Opera 8.60 for Pocket PC (http://www.Opera.com) on the emulator, and try that!

With regards to networks, T-Mob are great if you plan on using a lot of GPRS with their 7.50 per month Web'n'Walk flate rate GPRS, and they are likely to announce the TyTN (HTC Hermes) as the MDA Vario II very soon!

P

Guest mickthetree

Brilliant!

thanks so much for the help. I've read all the wiki posts and a load of others I found too. Got a much better understanding now.

I'm downloading the emulator as we speak to test out the web side of things. Didint even know it existed!

I've had a look on the TMobile website and their packages wipe the floor with my current package with orange. I'll keep a look out for their incarnation of it.

Thanks again

Cheers

Paul

Guest mickthetree

Hi Again, can you clarify something?

Can I simply connect to an unsecured wireless network with a device like the Vario II and browse the web, check emails etc... Such as in a cafe with wireless access. Is it easy enough to configure these kind of connections when they are available? or would I need to keep changing and adding settings etc. It takes about 30 seconds to connect when using my laptop.

Guest chucky.egg

You can have multiple wireless network connections defined, and it will connect you to whatever is available.

They should be very easy to connect to - but I seem to recall some making you logon via some website before you can use it. Connection times will vary depending upon how many connections you have defined I think (because it steps through them in turn).

If you have BT Broadband at home you can get access to Cloud spots for

Guest mickthetree

Is that just with a BT wireless router? I have a 3com wireless router and was presuming I would simply be able to connect to that and surf the net???

what is a Cloud Spot please?

Guest w411y
I have a 3com wireless router and was presuming I would simply be able to connect to that and surf the net???

Yes you can :) On my PPC I simply go into Comm Manager - Click WiFi - it searches for any connections and will ask if you would like to connect if you havn't before. I connect to my netgear router within 30 seconds (including pressing start - comm manager etc...)

Edited by w411y