HTC Hurricane - Hurricane ROM

Guest mikefirth

Guest mikefirth

Hi Everyone,

I am a 100% newbie to this site so hi to everyone.

I have a T-Mobile SDA II and like so many others simply HATE the software build it ships with, I don't see why they can't just send phones out (locked if they wish) but with a standard image for the software.

Anyway, I don't want to do anything clever like upgrade to WM5 (unless it's easy then bring it on!) but would very much like to get my hands on a ROM update for the phone from QTEK. I have tried to access via www.myqtek.com but of course get told i'm shafted because it's not a valid IMEI etc etc etc.

Does anyone have a valid QTEK rom AND would it work for my SDA II?

I have my fingers crossed that some nice person will help me :)

Best Regs All!

Mike

Guest fluffcat1

Don't do it. Don't even try it. The Qtek 8100 is not a hurricane and you'll brick your device.

Edit - which device do you actually have, a qtek8100, an SDA II or a hurricane based unit? Might help to spell it out...

http://n.domaindlx.com/mssmartphone/

Richard

Edited by fluffcat1

Guest Pondrew

Fluffcat1, I expect mikefirth is seeking a Qtek 8200 (HTC Hurricane) rom which, given the 8200 was apparently never officially released, is unlikely to be obtainable...

Guest mikefirth

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I looked on the page but couldn't see the SDA II...which is what I have, I purchased it no more than maybe a month ago so it's the current one on www.tmobile.co.uk.

Should I post a serial number or picture of the phone or something if it would help workout exactly which phone it is?

:)

Mike

Guest mikefirth

Hi Richard,

I have linked to the picture (because it's big I didn't attach it) of my phone, if this clarifies what the phone is and helps in anyway I would be very interested in how to make it...erm, "not t-mobilised"...haha...

Thanks in advance to all!

Mike

>>>>> Picture

Guest Pondrew

It's a T-Mobile UK SDA II all right which is an HTC Hurricane. I don't know why you're calling it a Qtek 8100 in your profile as that's definately NOT an HTC Hurricane.

I'm sorry to say the only rom readily available for the HTC Hurricane is the SDA II rom hosted on the T-Mobile download site here. Unfortunately though this rom is a good 8months old so you'll definately already have it.

Orange UK had the SPV C550 which was the only other HTC Hurricane (aside from a Japanese Dopod model) released but unfortunately they never released a rom update (or indeed made the original rom available) :)

Guest mikefirth

Hi Pondrew,

Thanks for the message, you certainly know your stuff!

It's a shame about the T-Mobile ROM being the only one available but I was half expecting it, I notice on the T-Mobile website that it mentions the next release is "Coming Soon". Do you know if this is just a case of they put that there months ago and nothing ever appeared or is the new one likely to be there soon?

I don't suppose there is any way of editing the images very easioly? Like getting rid of the T-Mobile animation at the startup and shutdown?

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest mikefirth
Did someone test it?

I tested it!

I did it this evening and it installs and runs like a dream, recommended! (On my T-Mob SDA II)

No having to change ANYTHING, you run the EXE, (its in English), the update happens and you have a QTEK ROM in about 5 minutes.

Now, it has Russian menus etc at first which can be changed through regional settings, but my keyboard/keypad has stayed russian...trying to figure that one out now!

But YES it DOES work, WELL! :) (And is quicker than original TMob ROM).

:D

Guest Pondrew
...I notice on the T-Mobile website that it mentions the next release is "Coming Soon". Do you know if this is just a case of they put that there months ago and nothing ever appeared or is the new one likely to be there soon?

You've hit the nail on the head, that 'coming soon' has been there for over a year now I think! And given WM2003SE has been long since laid to rest and no WM5 rom ever released or found to work for the HTC Hurricane I wouldn't hold your breath!

Any interesting software on the QTEK rom that wasn't on the T-Mobile or Orange roms?

Guest mikefirth
You've hit the nail on the head, that 'coming soon' has been there for over a year now I think! And given WM2003SE has been long since laid to rest and no WM5 rom ever released or found to work for the HTC Hurricane I wouldn't hold your breath!

Any interesting software on the QTEK rom that wasn't on the T-Mobile or Orange roms?

Hi Pondrew,

In all honesty I can't vouch for differences between the Orange rom as I have never put it on...

Obviously the branding etc on the phone is QTEK but the line up of standard aps is as follows:

Messaging (SMS & MMS)

Internet Explorer

ActiveSync

MSN Messenger

Caller Photo ID

JAVA Runtime

Pocket MSN

Video Recorder

WMP10

I know that's all pretty standard, that's why I wanted the QTEK Rom, because I was aware that it wouldn't have too much junk or customisation like the TMOB rom...

Once I have the language thing figured (hopefully) it will be just as I want it... :)

Mike

I tested it!

I did it this evening and it installs and runs like a dream, recommended! (On my T-Mob SDA II)

No having to change ANYTHING, you run the EXE, (its in English), the update happens and you have a QTEK ROM in about 5 minutes.

Now, it has Russian menus etc at first which can be changed through regional settings, but my keyboard/keypad has stayed russian...trying to figure that one out now!

But YES it DOES work, WELL! :) (And is quicker than original TMob ROM).

:D

Hi, thanks for trying, and reporting!

I haven't as yet, because I plan to first give it for repair under guarantee. Reason is the phone hangs often while trying to call someone, and only solution is to remove the battery (call attempt can not be stopped either!) I feel it could be a fault, so I don't want to take a chance to change the rom, and see it happens again. With another rom I take the risk to void the guarantee...

Please, let us know if you find a solution about the language.

Guest mikefirth
Hi, thanks for trying, and reporting!

I haven't as yet, because I plan to first give it for repair under guarantee. Reason is the phone hangs often while trying to call someone, and only solution is to remove the battery (call attempt can not be stopped either!) I feel it could be a fault, so I don't want to take a chance to change the rom, and see it happens again. With another rom I take the risk to void the guarantee...

Please, let us know if you find a solution about the language.

Hi Pierre,

I had exactly the same problem with my T-Mobile SDA-II, basicaly every few calls you just hang, and if you wait long enough it comes up with "The operation failed"..? That's what I used to get, but it took so long I used to whip the battery out...I recently sent off to HTC, and they took about a week and a half and just reflashed the same ROM (available on the T-Mob site) back on the phone which annoyed me...grrr..

Touch wood, I haven't had a call go wrong again yet, but I will definitely let you know about the Russian keyboard.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Pierre,

I had exactly the same problem with my T-Mobile SDA-II, basicaly every few calls you just hang, and if you wait long enough it comes up with "The operation failed"..? That's what I used to get, but it took so long I used to whip the battery out...I recently sent off to HTC, and they took about a week and a half and just reflashed the same ROM (available on the T-Mob site) back on the phone which annoyed me...grrr..

Touch wood, I haven't had a call go wrong again yet, but I will definitely let you know about the Russian keyboard.

Thanks,

Mike

Do you think a hard reset would do the job? It'd be great if I could avoid bringing it back to the store...

Guest hayesey

My SDA II does the same thing and a friend of mine also has the same phone which does it on almost every outgoing call he tries to make.

We also both have the Co-Pilot Sat-nav software and this likes to crash sometimes too.

It seems every SDA II is affected by it. I originally just put it down to the hardware struggling to cope with the demands being made of it. It was a cheap phone after all...

My SDA II does the same thing and a friend of mine also has the same phone which does it on almost every outgoing call he tries to make.

We also both have the Co-Pilot Sat-nav software and this likes to crash sometimes too.

It seems every SDA II is affected by it. I originally just put it down to the hardware struggling to cope with the demands being made of it. It was a cheap phone after all...

It was not so cheap at launch, but they eventually made it very cheap, probably because of this known bug.

It'd be great to hear from other users if they also experience this freezing' bug or not. From what I could read in the forum, it doesn't appear to be a common issue...

"I know that's all pretty standard, that's why I wanted the QTEK Rom, because I was aware that it wouldn't have too much junk or customisation like the TMOB rom...

Once I have the language thing figured (hopefully) it will be just as I want it... :)"

For using english when you create sms or make a new contact you have to swich in english t9 mode(press and hold #) and than swich to abc mode.It works fine for me.

"I know that's all pretty standard, that's why I wanted the QTEK Rom, because I was aware that it wouldn't have too much junk or customisation like the TMOB rom...

Once I have the language thing figured (hopefully) it will be just as I want it... :)"

For using english when you create sms or make a new contact you have to swich in english t9 mode(press and hold #) and than swich to abc mode.It works fine for me.

Verma,

Is the language' problem only for the T9 dictionnary or there are other inconveniences?

If so, then I don't mind upgrading...