Streaming audio to car stereo via bluetooth

Guest Robbied

Guest Robbied

I have just bought a pioneer DEH P75BT car stereo because it pairs with my SPV M600 via bluetooth and becomes my car hands free kit.

After installing the stereo and playing around with it I discovered that it had a function on it called Bluetooth Audio. Reading through the instruction manual it appears that it can also play music from bluetooth streaming audio devices.

I have managed to follow the instructions on another thread and am able to set the pioneer as a wireless stereo in my phones' bluetooth settings but it will not play the music via the car stereo.

I keep reading that the rom version needs to be AKU2 to be able to support A2DP and according to the orange website, the M600 is exactly this yet when I look at the device information on the phone itself, the rom version is 2.10.1.22 WWE. Is this another name for AKU2 or do I have an older rom version?

Also, assuming that I do get this working, can a single bluetooth device such as my car stereo or a headset be used as a hands free device and a wireless stereo simultaneously? ie can I listen to streaming audio and receive an incoming call at the same time? I suspect not because I have the option on the phone of setting the pioneer as EITHER a handsfree device OR a wireless Stereo.

Failing this, the car stereo has an aux input on the back which I could use to hard wire to the phone.

My ultimate aim is to not carry any cd's or mp3's in the car. I have a 4GB SD card that holds all the music I could ever want.

Guest mavisdavis

It should mate, have you've obviously set it to stereo headset in the devices menu within the bluetooth one on ya phone.

If so Just go back into the menu and reset then tick the options again.

Another question I have is this.. Is there an answer button on your stereo? I have to press a couple of buttons on my plantronics headset to enable sound to travel..

I really hope you mange to get this working as thats what I'm after doing. I have an aiwa stereo at the mo with AUX port in the front which I hard wire to my M600.

Guest Robbied

I have now managed to stream audio to the car head unit via bluetooth. I've tried using WMP and TCPMP and both seem to work ok. The sound quality is unbelievable and all functions are controllable from the stereo.

The trouble starts when I try to use the phone for streaming audio and making/receiving calls at the same time.

To make a call whilst listening to streaming audio, you must change the mode on the head unit from BT Audio to Telephone. This mutes the audio (but doesn

Guest estocks

It sound to me like the software in the phone and Headunit need updating. Overclocking the M600 will not help as it is the Bluetooth radio that is the bottleneck when A2GP and Handsfree are active.

Transferring my phone book to the stereo memory was extremely annoying. You have to do this using Bluetooth and on the M600 you can only send one contact at a time. I read somewhere that Pocket Informant was able to send multiple contacts so I downloaded the trial version of this to the phone. After selecting all 92 of my contacts and initiating them to transfer, it got to 28 and froze. From then on it wouldn
Edited by estocks

Guest Robbied
It sound to me like the software in the phone and Headunit need updating. Overclocking the M600 will not help as it is the Bluetooth radio that is the bottleneck when A2GP and Handsfree are active.

Use outlook

First do a Select All on your contacts* You may have more than 1000 contacts and if so may wish to break this up into one or two attempts to provent overloading the PC.*

Then choose Action->Forward as VCard

On the mail that appears choose File-> Save Atachments.

Save the VCFs to a folder and move them to the M600.

In the car use SmartExplorerEN and Select All the VCFs. Choose Send Files Via Bluetooth and the Headunit will appear in the list. Send them all to the HU

Thanks estocks, it worked using Resco File Explorer with the exception of one contact, my girlfriend. I figure it's because I had her work address, work phone, work extension, mobile phone, email address, in laws address, and in laws phone number stored in one VCard.

Yet again it's the girlfriend that's giving me the agro!! :)

I've given up with the Bluetooth Audio for now unless anyone can come up with any other suggestions? It's a real shame though because individually, the wireless stereo and headset modes work a treat. For now I'm using a cable to transmit audio to the head unit. Works ok but wires..........

• 3 months later...
Guest dr_nick

surely there must be a way of linking the devices for both audio and handsfree operation simultaeously - this is what its designed for?!

i really want one of these headunits, but am certainly not stumping up the cash if it wont do both - there are far cheaper options which work as bluetooth hands free if you want to use a cable for your audio!

and in fact, if i have to connect a cable anyway - i may as well stick with the cable setup i already have!

boo

:rolleyes:

dr_nick

Guest dr_nick

robbied,

any joy yet with getting bluetooth audio and handsfree to work simultaneously?

have been following a few of these headunits on ebay...

and christmas is coming...

now i have my magnet mount fitted would be so cool not to have to plug in a cable for my audio!

:)

dr_nick

Guest Robbied
robbied,

any joy yet with getting bluetooth audio and handsfree to work simultaneously?

have been following a few of these headunits on ebay...

and christmas is coming...

now i have my magnet mount fitted would be so cool not to have to plug in a cable for my audio!

:)

dr_nick

Yes I have managed to get them both to work simultaneously but the bother and agro that it takes to achieve it is unbelievable.

The other thing is that the results are different everytime. Sometimes it will pair perfectly, sometimes just the handsfree element will pair, sometimes just the BT Audio and sometimes nothing at all. I tried writing mortscripts to pair the devices automatically but because the results were so unpredictable I found myself trying to pair them whilst driving....quite dangerous and defeating the point in buying the stereo to start with.

I now just stick to using the handsfree element which I pair using a simple mortscript which dials 150 and hangs up after 15 seconds. (Even this only pairs 90% of the time)

I didn’t know the stereo was capable of BT Audio when I bought it so no real loss to me really.

I’d be interested to know whether pocket pc’s/smartphones with updated roms work properly though!

Guest dr_nick

robbied,

you have paid a considerable amount of money for your product, and pioneer are obliged to ensure it works properly, though i suppose the m600 probably isn't on their compatibility list...

i certainly wont be parting with my cash for a product that doesn't work according to its specifications.

for interest, can you post your phone specs?

anyone else have experience of this headunit from pioneer - does it work properly for ANYONE? (with one device for both audio and phone?)

THANKS!

dr_nick

Guest Robbied

No unfortunately the M600 is not on their compatability list otherwise I would have kicked up a stink about it by now.

That said, as a handsfree device (which is the reason I bought it in the first place) it works extremely well, with the exception of when the two don't want to pair and I can't be sure that this is down to the Pioneer or the phone.

• 1 month later...
Guest chewpilla

i wonder if either of you could help me, i have an orange spv m600 and "i-tech clip" (bluetooth audio reciver and headset)

my problem is i cant get any audio playing over bluetooth, headset works fine but it seems my m600 is not capeable of a2dp profile.

could anybody give me some advice

• 1 month later...
Guest Robbied

The saga continues...

Some clever fellow over at XDA Developers has come up with this: (I can confirm it works on my m600)

It enables the automatic connection function to work correctly. No dialing 150 any more for me. All I need to do is turn on bluetooth, set it to discoverable and the stereo automatically detects the phone as if by magic.

The problem:

The vario II identifies itself as a PDA bluetooth device. The pioneer modules are searching for a phone or smartphone, so it just ignores the Vario II.

Solutions:

Change the COD (Class of Device) from a PDA device to a smartphone device.

This can be done this way:

1. First make sure you've got a backup, or remember all settings you change in the registry.

2. Edit with a registry editor the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Bluetooth\SY S\COD

By default my vario II does have the value: 1048852 (decimal)

Change this to: 5374476 (decimal).

3. Soft restart your device

4. Voila! Your device now identifies itself as a smartphone, and my pioneer unit finds it without problems.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=290871

This modification has also made the BT Audio function connect much easier although not automatically like the phone function. You have to use the ‘Set as Wireless Stereo’ option and it seems to work everytime. The only problem is that the audio will only come out of the front left car speaker. I have a few ideas about that though and will report back if I manage to get it working properly.

i wonder if either of you could help me, i have an orange spv m600 and "i-tech clip" (bluetooth audio reciver and headset)

my problem is i cant get any audio playing over bluetooth, headset works fine but it seems my m600 is not capeable of a2dp profile.

could anybody give me some advice

Chewpilla, you need to install a hack on the m600 to get a2dp see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=263745

and download the file tornado_a2dp.cab

Guest Robbied

Ok now i've had chance to test this, it appears that the pairing will allow perfect quality music to all four car speakers in one session and to just the front left in another. (may go to rear left as well but not entirely sure) is this what they describe as stereo and mono? also there seems to be no pattern to when it will work on one or all four.

If anyone can offer any suggestions as to why this may be I would be very grateful.

I'm so close to getting this unit working properly I can almost smell it!