Setting up Bt Internet Email on M5000

Guest Shaunfarris

Guest Shaunfarris

Hi All,

Has anyone had any eperience with configuring their M5000 to send emails using the BT Internet settings.

I have configured it using there their default:

mail.btinternet.com (POP3)

mail.btinternet.com (SMTP)

but I cannot send messages without the follow message appearing:

Messgaes cannot be downloaded to your mobile device. make sure you are connected and that your e-mail account settings are correct. Then, try to download messages again.

Recieving works perfectly though every time.

I have read that the SMTP port should be changed to 587. so I changed the line to:

mail.btinternet.com:587

but this made absolutly no difference.

Anyone out there have any ideas??

Assuming you're using your mobile network to send email, not WiFi, then the SMTP server needs to be that of your phone network, not BTInternet. eg I'm on O2, so use smtp.o2.co.uk - not sure what the other networks use off the top of my head.

HTH.

Guest Shaunfarris

Sorted

Thanks very much

I changed the SMTP from:

mail.btinternet.com

to

smtp.orange.net

and everything started working.

Cheers

• 2 months later...
Sorted

Thanks very much

I changed the SMTP from:

mail.btinternet.com

to

smtp.orange.net

and everything started working.

Cheers

It seem your issue was "outgoing mail authentication".

I am connecting via WIFI. My home ISP is wanado and they block all outgoing SMTP connection on default port 25 (you get error)

554 Please check your SMTP server is set to smtp.wanadoo.co.uk. Further help is

available at http://help.orange.co.uk/sessionBegin.do?solutionId=kb4473

However, I have setup my company SMTP server to also listen on port 2525 and it works verywell on my laptop (outlook) as I have set the SMTP port = 2525. The mail server requires authentication and I have setup correct authentication information. Basically my outlook on laptop works perfectly with these setting on my home wi-fi network.

Is there a way or heck to set the outgoing SMTP port to some different value other than the default 25.

However on my SPV M3100, there is no way I could find to override the outgoing SMTP port to 2525. I tried smtp.com:2525 but that gives the same error.

Needless to say that if use outgoing SMTP server as smtp.wanadoo.co.uk, every thing works on my wifi network but when I am out and about, to use my phone on GPRS/3G, I need to change the SMTP server back!