I got one!

Guest Syphon Filter

Guest Dr Who
I'm not going to be home till late tonight, but I will do the photo comparison when I do get in.

I have a C500 at home so I can use that.

I havnt tried the A2DP stuff, will give that a go too later tonight. Will post my results and findings.

Cheers Syphon.

Guest getti
I was hoping to see the M3100 on the Orange website today - even if only in the 'Coming Soon' section. Still nada :)

Its due on Orange within 2 weeks. Orange love to test the phone on their network and then test it over and over again just to make sure.

At least you can turn the home screen off on this version

Guest Syphon Filter
No Phone Pad!?!?!?!

:) ;) :D

P

I was wondering when you would chime in P!!

No, I cant seem to find the phone pad at all. The input options i have are:

Block Recognizer

Keyboard

Letter Recognizer

Symbol Pad (this is not the phone pad)

TenGO (i installed this)

Transcriber

My question is this. Was the phone pad part of the oringal OS/ROM or was it added by the networks later on?

Bar the pack of phonepad everything is as expected. Also, with TenGO installed and a hardware keypad do you really need a software "phonepad" ?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Phone Pad was part of the HTC build.

Tengo is very cool, but I think a lot of people will be used to - and sorry to see - no Phone Pad.

P

No doubt it will start showing up in places, and probably cheaper than I paid! But such is life.

Mate

Not trying to make a point about the price, Im sure we could all save ourselves

Just a quickie, did your Tmob sim just work for 3G?

Ive had mine since Nov last year when I swapped to them for the web n' walk bundle, from Voda.

Is my sim likely to be 3G ready??

Guest stern
Just a quickie, did your Tmob sim just work for 3G?

Ive had mine since Nov last year when I swapped to them for the web n' walk bundle, from Voda.

Is my sim likely to be 3G ready??

T-mobile sims need to be provisioned for 3G seperatley whereas the likes of Vodafone provision 3G and GPRS together as the same.

3G Video calling also needs to be provisioned seperatley from 3G data

Guest Syphon Filter
T-mobile sims need to be provisioned for 3G seperatley whereas the likes of Vodafone provision 3G and GPRS together as the same.

3G Video calling also needs to be provisioned seperatley from 3G data

I'm not so sure about that actually.

My SIM is the original I got when I started my Flext + WnW a few months ago, it appears to work with 3G just fine.

Guest stern
I'm not so sure about that actually.

My SIM is the original I got when I started my Flext + WnW a few months ago, it appears to work with 3G just fine.

That's probably because WnW connection procedures specify the sim is provisioned with both because people on that tarrif can use either GPRS or 3G, the fact still remains tmob have to provision GPPS+WAP and then 3G whereas vodafone will just provision 'internet' which automatically gives them access to both.

If for example you have a Blackberry contract with tmob uk the sim won't be provisioned for 3G you wouldn't be able to put the sim in a Vario2 and use 3G data. This is because Tmob UK don't ship a 3G Blackberry so no Blackberry connections will be provisioned with 3G.

This all basically means that if you connect to a WnW tarrif you will probably have 3G provisioned automatically by the network. but with Voda there is no easy way of having GPRS without also having 3G

PS the physical sim doesn't need to be a specific type for it to work with 3G it's all set at network level

Edited by stern

Guest Syphon Filter

Something to note:

The case that came with the HTC TyTN is quite nice. Its just a protective case but its made of a faux leather sort of material. Its not the most expensive thing but it is A LOT nicer than the rubbish nylon version that came with my T-Mobile Vario. The TyTN case is nice enough that I might not bother getting Krussell or something to replace it, only issue is that you have to take the device out to use it at all.

Kudos to HTC for not (totally) cheaping on the case.

I took the device with me on my lunch break and tried the connection out, I was in 3G coverage for about 100m then it dropped to GPRS, both seemed to work well and even the GPRS seemed a bit quicker...

PIE, as expected, is pretty lame. Are there any good FREE browsers for PPC? I have a trial of Opera 8.60 installed and that seems ok, but I am loathed to pay for a browser.

Guest Syphon Filter
PS the physical sim doesn't need to be a specific type for it to work with 3G it's all set at network level

I thought you had to have a "USIM" for 3G, and all tmobile SIMs are in fact USIM...that was my understanding. I could very well be wrong though.

I assume as I am seeing the "U" logo when I am in certain places and the "G" logo in others means I do have a 3G capable SIM and that I am "provisioned" to use the 3G data services?

In fact, in the phone dialer, it doesnt just say "T-Mobile" as it used to on my Vario, it says "UMTS T-Mobile"

Anyone care to clear that up?

Guest Paul (MVP)

There are no decent free browsers for PPC, period.

Non-free, you could try Opera, NetFront or a PIE plugin like MultiIE.

My (biased) advice, sign up for MoDaCo Plus, get Opera and all the other cool stuff free :)

P

Guest w411y
There are no decent free browsers for PPC, period.

Non-free, you could try Opera, NetFront or a PIE plugin like MultiIE.

My (biased) advice, sign up for MoDaCo Plus, get Opera and all the other cool stuff free :)

P

Saw a good looking one the other day but can't think of the name ... bugger! Allowed tabbed browsing, going back more than one page at once and forward more than one page at once let alone other features.

Guest mandt
Saw a good looking one the other day but can't think of the name ... bugger! Allowed tabbed browsing, going back more than one page at once and forward more than one page at once let alone other features.

Minimo perhaps?

Have never got it to work on the Vario though

Guest Syphon Filter

Does anyone have anything to say about the U/G logos and if I am interpreting them correctly?

(See my post at the top of page 3)...

Cheers

Guest Paul (MVP)
I assume as I am seeing the "U" logo when I am in certain places and the "G" logo in others means I do have a 3G capable SIM and that I am "provisioned" to use the 3G data services?

I believe so. So far as I understand it, unprovisioned SIMs can never connect to the 3G cells.

P

Guest bronksy

The U is for UMTS, or 3G to common folk like you or me. So when you have the U you have 3g coverage.

You do need a USIM for 3G services. AFAIK Orange donr give USIMS out unless you actually have a 3G phone from them.. Unless this has changed.. so if you're out and buy a 3G phone/device and you're on Orange, then they won't send you a 3G card.

Obviously if you upgrade via Orange then there's a new USIM in the box that you then activate as per usual.

Guest Syphon Filter

Yes, so the very fact that I am seeing the "U" and the "UMTS T-Mobile" stuff means my SIM is a USIM and I am logged onto a 3G cell.

If that wasnt the case then I am guessing I would only ever see the "G" for GPRS.

Guest pd.ryder
Its due on Orange within 2 weeks. Orange love to test the phone on their network and then test it over and over again just to make sure.
So why, when they've tested the thing to death, do they still deny all knowledge when guys like us ring up with constructive criticism of a specific problem area that a device has? And I don't mean silly little things - I mean great big ones such as when the C550 (a music phone!!!) wouldn't sync with WMP! If their attitude is "we don't support that feature" or other cynical cliche - why bother testing the damned things! ARSE!

/rant over :)

Guest Syphon Filter
So why, when they've tested the thing to death, do they still deny all knowledge when guys like us ring up with constructive criticism of a specific problem area that a device has? And I don't mean silly little things - I mean great big ones such as when the C550 (a music phone!!!) wouldn't sync with WMP! If their attitude is "we don't support that feature" or other cynical cliche - why bother testing the damned things! ARSE!

/rant over :)

I agree...I have also found that network carrier devices which have the carrier ROM and customisation are rubbish compared to those found on offline devices, such as Q-Teks, i-mates, HTC etc.

The wifi implementation was rubbish on the original Tmobile Vario ROM that I had, after flashing it to an i-mate ROM the device was much better.

Also all the branding annoys me too. But thats easily solved by finding and flashing a ROM from another maker...I kind of wish I had waited to get one of the carrier variants because the design is slightly different, the button layout is nicer and its just a bit more pleasing to look at. But I dont find the TyTN offensive to look at and I am enjoying my purchase. The real test will come at the weekend when I am out and about in some decent coverage areas and using the 3G etc...