Exchange Email

Guest cjhghs

Guest cjhghs

I have a copy of all of my email stored on my pda (dell axim v51), but my exchange server crashed and now i cannot access it (the server) any longer because I had to completely wipe it. It's my only copy of all my email and contact data and was wondering if there was any way to get it back onto my pc from my axim.

Guest spacerace
I have a copy of all of my email stored on my pda (dell axim v51), but my exchange server crashed and now i cannot access it (the server) any longer because I had to completely wipe it. It's my only copy of all my email and contact data and was wondering if there was any way to get it back onto my pc from my axim.

Firstly, I'd imagine the copy of stuff on your Dell is a subset of the full information ? It's normally filtered by size/attachments/folders - however it's better than nothing I guess !

You can do it by synchronising your PDA data BACK to Outlook, however from memory ActiveSync doesn't support the sync direction of PDA >> Outlook, so you need to get a third party sync tool that will allow it. Once it's back into Outlook you can sync it back upto the Exchange Server..

Guest cjhghs
ActiveSync doesn't support the sync direction of PDA >> Outlook, so you need to get a third party sync tool that will allow it.

do you have any utilities in mind off hand? it was syncing my entire mailbox because i have an SD Card in it.

Guest chucky.egg

I don't think you can sync back to Exchange like that.

If you can recreate EXACTLY what you had before (server name, user account etc) then it might work, but I have a feeling it's going to ask you to create a new partnership - in which case it will wipe the stuff on your device first.

You can't just sync back to Outlook, because that'll create a new partnership and clear all your emails off the device.

Your best bet might be to email everything to another email address, rebuild your server, re-partner the device, then email it back to your Exchange account

I'd probably get a trial of Sprite Backup installed, and backup the entire device - that way if it gets wiped re-sync'ing you still have something to fall back on

Guest spacerace
I don't think you can sync back to Exchange like that.

If you can recreate EXACTLY what you had before (server name, user account etc) then it might work, but I have a feeling it's going to ask you to create a new partnership - in which case it will wipe the stuff on your device first.

You can't just sync back to Outlook, because that'll create a new partnership and clear all your emails off the device.

Your best bet might be to email everything to another email address, rebuild your server, re-partner the device, then email it back to your Exchange account

I'd probably get a trial of Sprite Backup installed, and backup the entire device - that way if it gets wiped re-sync'ing you still have something to fall back on

You can't sync back like that with AS no. AS will form a new paretnership and likely try and wipe the device. I think using a third party sync tool you can sync all the information back into a new Outlook profile (standard desktop PST file) and then Import that data back into the Outlook Exchange Profile which will in turn then populate that data back to the server.

I was thinking of exactly the same software as you: Intellisync

http://www.intellisync.com/pages/Products/...ndheld-Edition/

I haven't used it for ages however, so can't speak as to how the latest version works. It does support Windows handhelds, and certainly used to support a sync from PDA _to_ Outlook.

I would agree though it's worth backing up your deivce first, but if all your exchange data is on an SD card anyway, you could simply copy that somewhere else and then try it.

Guest cjhghs

ok well i got intellisync running which worked fine for all my contacts/calendar, but it skips over exporting my email. i think it doesn't support the mass of email that i'm trying to import, however if it won't let me sync any of it which makes me think otherwise.

--Edit--

i tried PDASync as well, which failed with an "error in gotorecord," which makes me wondering if my database for email on my pda is corrupt. is there anyway to check this and if so fix it? or is it possible that it doesnt see my email because it's under exchange and not a normal sync account?

Edited by cjhghs

Guest NikLP

I know it's pretty much obvious and almost off topic, but if you're running Exchange I would seriously consider making daily incremental backups with a weekly full backup...

Outlook with ASync is basically a bitch, so I suggest that your efforts to salvage this data might be better spent on a) making notes of all the useful stuff manually and :) setting up your server to the configuration described above. Depends how bad it is, I guess. I've ended up reformatting a whole machine just to get AS working before now.

Guest spacerace
ok well i got intellisync running which worked fine for all my contacts/calendar, but it skips over exporting my email. i think it doesn't support the mass of email that i'm trying to import, however if it won't let me sync any of it which makes me think otherwise.

--Edit--

i tried PDASync as well, which failed with an "error in gotorecord," which makes me wondering if my database for email on my pda is corrupt. is there anyway to check this and if so fix it? or is it possible that it doesnt see my email because it's under exchange and not a normal sync account?

unfortunately yes it does sound like there is a problem with the email on the pda. I presume you can access everything ok on the PDA itself - folders and sub folders all work ok and display messages ok ?