Is Zone Alarm evil?

Guest Prosody

Guest Prosody

I should preface this by saying that I've used Zone Alarm and Active Sync 3.8 and 4.1 together successfully before, since March when I got my WM5 device and before that with my IPAQ it's always worked fine together.

Then the other day I tried to sync on my main Desktop PC and was getting errors indicating that Active Sync could find the PPC but could not connect.

Tried repeatedly and also tried putting AS 4.1 back on in case it was that, no joy. Anyway I then got my LapTop back from my dad who'd been upgrading the Hard Drive. I installed AS and it synced fine, then installed Zone Alarm and had the same problems, if I disable ZA it works fine on both machines.

I've tried allowing access to all the programs I can find on the Program Control list but no joy. Anyone experienced similar? :)

Guest beermonstermatt

had the same problem, was using a 2003 PPC with AS 3.8 and zone alarm no problem upgraded to my vario and AS4.1 and zone alarms having none of it. have given it all the access rights but its still not working. have to shut down zone alarm if I want to sync. not ideal!

(posted from my vario!)

Matt

Yep, i've experienced similar problems...with ZoneAlarm on i was unable to sync my smartphone (sp5m) with my PC (running XP Pro with SP2) using any version of ActiveSync - i tried versions 3.8, 4.1 and 4.2! What was happening in my case was that the PC was seeing the connected phone as another internet connection and then hanging at the sync stage (where the green spinning circle appears).

As soon as i turn ZoneAlarm off, all work as expected...funnily enough i was able to have both AS and ZA coexisting on XP Service Pack 1? I've read somewhere on here in another thread that if you make some setting adjustments to ZA it can eventually work but i have not had the chance to try it yet.