Another day, another Hermes variant, welcome Dopod 838 Pro!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

You know, what with the XDA Trion, HTC TyTN, SPV M3100, MDA Vario II and now the Dopod 838 Pro... it's getting to the point where we've got to stop reporting these launches :)

However, I just can't resist letting you know that Dopod are launching the HTC Hermes as the Dopod 838 Pro.

Dopod have a habit of making their devices look great with the best variants and subtle brandings, together with a slimline and stable software build, and the 838 Pro looks to be no different.

I'll let you look at the pictures below and make up your own mind... but I suspect I might be importing this one (as I did with the 818 pro!), together with the Dopod 595 Breeze variant (as I did with the 585)!

Enjoy the eye candy ;)

P

838pro1.gif838pro2.gif

Guest NikLP

Looks RATHER similar to the Orange version we've seen so far??

Happy days, it's the best of the variants, looks wise! :)

Does the M3100 have macro on the camera as well, which this one appears to?

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Looks RATHER similar to the Orange version we've seen so far??

Happy days, it's the best of the variants, looks wise! :)

Does the M3100 have macro on the camera as well, which this one appears to?

I disgaree, much prefer the Orange version, tho its nice.

They all have Macro.

Guest Syphon Filter

Hi guys,

I have a question (aimed at Dopod owners). Dopod devices are not UK devices and I assume they are all imported from Asia/Far East.

This being the case, what happens when something goes wrong and you need support? Will HTC UK support your devices? If not then do you have to send it back to the point of origin for repairs etc?

If someone could let me know that would be great.

Guest Syphon Filter
HTC UK repaired my 585, altho I had to pay as it was out of warranty!

P

Good to hear...

You've got me thinking about importing an 838 Pro :)

Possibly a Breeze too ;)

Guest randomelements

Must admit, I think I prefer the look of the SPV variant as well. Still , I'd be happy with either.

Shame I'm contract locked until April :)

Guest bobbykashyap
Hi guys,

I have a question (aimed at Dopod owners). Dopod devices are not UK devices and I assume they are all imported from Asia/Far East.

This being the case, what happens when something goes wrong and you need support? Will HTC UK support your devices? If not then do you have to send it back to the point of origin for repairs etc?

If someone could let me know that would be great.

FYI... HTC is a Taiwaneese company (Far east again).

Dopod is bought over by HTC or HTC has a major stake in dopod.

and dopod sells devices in south asia only.

and why on earth should we go all the way to UK for support :)

hope that answers ur question.

Guest Paul (MVP)

A little aside, as you may know Dopod is also offering the Mercury variant of the Hermes as the CHT 9000.

CHT = China Telecom, so the 838 Pro is more widely shipping than the network customised CHT 9000 version.

P

Guest Syphon Filter
FYI... HTC is a Taiwaneese company (Far east again).

Dopod is bought over by HTC or HTC has a major stake in dopod.

and dopod sells devices in south asia only.

and why on earth should we go all the way to UK for support ;)

hope that answers ur question.

You misunderstand what I mean. I know who Dopod are and where they operate.

BUT HTC have a UK operation, which deals with customer services and support. My question was relating to the fact that the Dopod 838 Pro IS still an HTC device under the skin, regardless of branding. If I were to import one into the UK from wherever...would HTC UK support me if something were to go wrong with it? Obviously if you are a customer in the Far East and you buy a device there you are not going to have to send it to HTC UK for repairs/support. My question was would I have to send a Dopod device back to the Far East for support or would HTC in the UK sort it out for me. Paul has stated that he has had his Dopod 585 repaired by HTC UK. So I guess this answers my question to a degree.

I dont know if that makes sense... :)

Guest bobbykashyap
You misunderstand what I mean. I know who Dopod are and where they operate.

BUT HTC have a UK operation, which deals with customer services and support. My question was relating to the fact that the Dopod 838 Pro IS still an HTC device under the skin, regardless of branding. If I were to import one into the UK from wherever...would HTC UK support me if something were to go wrong with it? Obviously if you are a customer in the Far East and you buy a device there you are not going to have to send it to HTC UK for repairs/support. My question was would I have to send a Dopod device back to the Far East for support or would HTC in the UK sort it out for me. Paul has stated that he has had his Dopod 585 repaired by HTC UK. So I guess this answers my question to a degree.

I dont know if that makes sense... :)

oops sorri for misreading your posting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.