Seafood Surprise!

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest nedge2k

[teaser]

lobster_700.jpg

I'm sure you all remember the hype a few months/weeks back with regard to HTC's lineup of TV Smartphones? Well, it looks as though Virgin Mobile (now owned by NTL) is gearing up to release the HTC Monet (formerly Trilogy) as the curiously named, Lobster 700! Why Lobster? Well, it's part of Virgin's new range of devices aimed at 16-30 year olds. Again, why Lobster? Yeah, I don't get it either...

More info and pics after the jump[/teaser]

The Lobster 700 is expected to have the following:

• Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphone
  • DAB-IP (Like DAB radio but with video codec :) )
  • QVGA screen
  • 1.3MP camera
  • microSD

Personally, after having had a PPC with a built-in TV Tuner and an SDIO TV tuner, I'd be interested to see how this DAB-IP thing pans out. I've never had a portable DAB radio so I'm not sure what to expect quality-wise <_ that being said if the dab-ip thing turns out to be a flop and with mere camera there wouldn much separate it from any other smartphone meaning virgin mobile first foray into windows game could prove unsuccessful. i sure you agree would shame as nice see new player in town.>

lobster700-front.jpglobster700-back.jpg

Source: CoolSmartPhone

Guest awarner (MVP)

Now give me the phone in landscape and I'd be sold :)

It's probably called Lobster as they are red when cooked, Lobster is the name for a range of devices and not just this one but I'm interested in how they work out the numbering of the devices.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
no even the 2 girls on the photo can make the phone look attractive lol

Looks more like a tv remote to be honest.

DAB-IP is NOT streaming TV, in the same way radio on fm or digital is not "streamed". If you have signal, youll get it - there wont be any "buffering"

I think it could be a success, and it will apparently also offer DAB radio too. I'll buy it on a cheapo contract or off ebay I think

Guest sxywill2005

Aint lobster the cheap and nasty phones? Virgin needs DAB-IP providers at launch to make it sucessful. After all NTL does own the DAB masts. Could some subscription content emerge? I don't think people will pay for tv channels on a mobile. It would be good if Virgin branded it a NTL phone and done something like Sky by mobile to record TV shows at home.

Lobster handsets are cheap at usually under

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Aint lobster the cheap and nasty phones? Virgin needs DAB-IP providers at launch to make it sucessful. After all NTL does own the DAB masts. Could some subscription content emerge? I don't think people will pay for tv channels on a mobile. It would be good if Virgin branded it a NTL phone and done something like Sky by mobile to record TV shows at home.

Lobster handsets are cheap at usually under

Guest Paul (MVP)

Having seen one of these devices in the flesh (and used it), I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the appearance actually :)

P

Guest Dr Who
Having seen one of these devices in the flesh (and used it), I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the appearance actually :)

P

Any idea of a release data Paul? We looking at Q4 2006?

Guest Spr1ngy
Any idea of a release data Paul? We looking at Q4 2006?

Had my hands on one a couple of weeks ago, I was in BT Tower for a meeting and they were carrying out final testing and should be out in a matter of weeks, not months....

Guest Dr Who
Yep, in the next few weeks is what I hear... i'll be very interested in the price point...

P

Definitely. If the price is right I might buy it as an occasional toy. Since it is a DAB type broadcast does that mean I could network unlock it and still receive the TV service? Is it possible to unlock Virgin mobiles?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Florin will likely a solution for this device rustled up quickly should one be needed :)

With regards to receiving TV on non-Virgin SIM devices, unknown. Even DAB radio would be slick!

Effectively a C600 with DAB radio would be very nice!

P

Guest Dr Who
expect a review soon :)

Excellent. Can you try the TV service with another operators SIM if you can unlock it or even SIM less?

BTW, that is the maddest signature I have ever seen on any forum anywhere. Hope nobody on here is on dialup though...........

Guest nedge2k
Can you try the TV service with another operators SIM if you can unlock it or even SIM less?

Of course :)

BTW, that is the maddest signature I have ever seen on any forum anywhere. Hope nobody on here is on dialup though...........

Tis only 80k :D Needs a bit of improving tho ;)

Guest Laser_iCE

It was a Virgin Mobile Looobsteeer! AAAAAAAhhhhhhhoooooooaaaaahhhh....

/walks back out of the thread

But really, I still think this phone looks downright yuck. The whole rounded edge, yet square keypad? Too much of a clash if you ask me.

LOL, I just noticed the pic of the lobster at the top of the phone, in front of the L. HAHA. raaaaar.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.