Vodafone v1605 (Hermes) in shop

Guest julianmclean

You called? :D

First, you'll need to install a registry editor such as Resco Explorer [here].

Next, put the attached files into the My Documents folder of your device. (Don't run these files on your PC!!!)

On your phone, find the files using Resco File Explorer and then open them each in turn. Once done, Menu>Exit. You should also do a soft-reset as well for good measure. This will apply a registry change which will allow you to select 'Messaging', 'Owner Information' and 'Device Lock' in the Today screen settings.

Alternatively, if you're confident enough to edit the registry directly (PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!), the keys are below. Please note you'll need to properly exit the Registry Editor and possibly even soft reset before your changes take effect.

Matho,

Thought that I would be confident enough to edit registry, but a quick look in there made me change my mind quite fast... you refer to attached files, but which ones? Can only see the link to Resco explorer. Let me know how stooopid I'm being when you've got a minute!

Matho,

Thought that I would be confident enough to edit registry, but a quick look in there made me change my mind quite fast... you refer to attached files, but which ones? Can only see the link to Resco explorer. Let me know how stooopid I'm being when you've got a minute!

Strange, I attached the files to my post, but they don't seem to have turned up...

You can try downloading them from here. The zip file includes a Today plugin for MSN, but as MSN isn't on our devices, there's not much point in applying that change!

Strange, I attached the files to my post, but they don't seem to have turned up...

You can try downloading them from here. The zip file includes a Today plugin for MSN, but as MSN isn't on our devices, there's not much point in applying that change!

Ok...done that - but still no owner info available in today items - going to have a look in the registry now and see if I can break the thing.

Ok...done that - but still no owner info available in today items - going to have a look in the registry now and see if I can break the thing.

If you've applied the changes correctly (!) you probably need to soft reset and then go into Settings > Today > Items and tick the plugins that you want. Let us know if you still can't get it to work!

Edited by matho

If you've applied the changes correctly (!) you probably need to soft reset and then go into Settings > Today > Items and tick the plugins that you want. Let us know if you still can't get it to work!

Lol...definitely doen it correctly - unlock and messaging appear fine, just no sign of owner info in the items list...what do you reckon?

Lol...definitely done it correctly - unlock and messaging appear fine, just no sign of owner info in the items list...what do you reckon?

Lol...definitely done it correctly - unlock and messaging appear fine, just no sign of owner info in the items list...what do you reckon?

ok got it now...maybe I didn't hold power down properly at soft reset...

ok got it now...maybe I didn't hold power down properly at soft reset...

Ah - a soft reset is actually where you stick your stylus into the small hole on the bottom of the device!

Ah - a soft reset is actually where you stick your stylus into the small hole on the bottom of the device!

well for some reason it didn't work when I did just the stylus thing, but when i did stylus and held power it did. odd.

• 2 months later...

Hi Matho,

Confussed where can I find the "attached files". I am not confident enough to edit the registry.

Thanks

You called? :)

First, you'll need to install a registry editor such as Resco Explorer [here].

Next, put the attached files into the My Documents folder of your device. (Don't run these files on your PC!!!)

On your phone, find the files using Resco File Explorer and then open them each in turn. Once done, Menu>Exit. You should also do a soft-reset as well for good measure. This will apply a registry change which will allow you to select 'Messaging', 'Owner Information' and 'Device Lock' in the Today screen settings.

Alternatively, if you're confident enough to edit the registry directly (PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!), the keys are below. Please note you'll need to properly exit the Registry Editor and possibly even soft reset before your changes take effect.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\"Device Lock"]

"Flags"=dword:00000000

"Options"=dword:00000000

"Enabled"=dword:00000000

"Order"=dword:00000024

"Type"=dword:00000004

"DLL"="shutil.dll"

"Selectability"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\"Messaging"]

"Options"=dword:00000000

"Type"=dword:00000004

"Order"=dword:00000002

"Enabled"=dword:00000001

"DLL"="tmailutl.dll"

"Selectability"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\"Owner Info"]

"Order"=dword:00000003

"Enabled"=dword:00000000

"Type"=dword:00000000

"Selectability"=dword:00000001

I haven't yet found a way of getting rid of the VF Calendar plugin and/or replacing it with the default one.

Also, see Paul's thread on the must-have free software for other useful stuff, eg there is a .cab file there which will give you a 'Wireless' Today screen item which displays the status of all your wireless connections.

• 1 month later...
Guest stevem999
there is a solution!

go to www.vodafone.net and register to have all voice, fax and email messages alerted via text.....

it does not matter if you do not use the email or fax service......

it will ask you for a mobile number to send a passcode to......at this point, you need to make sure the vodafone sim is in any other phone other than the tytn in order to receive the service sms.....once received, complete the setup procedure and put the sim back into the tytn.....you will now find that voicemails will register as text messages and also the little voicemail 'spool' symbol on your tytn....it even gives you an instant 'voicemail' soft button to press for instant access....

subsequent voicemails will register with a counting up text message replacing the previous one, ie you have 1 voicemail, you have 2 voicemails etc

the only change seems to be that it is now 242 for voicemail rather than 121 but if you ring 121 or click on the voicemail link, it seems to take you to the same place anyway!

worth doing until HTC come up with a fix!

Anyone know if this is a problem with T-Mobile voicemail alerts too - likely to be getting a Vario II from them and would like to know if it can be worked around or if it is even a problem a la Vodafone

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JohnMcL7

Hey folks, I've picked up a VPA 1605 which I want to use on O2 - I chose the Vodafone because I like its looks plus O2 don't have their variant out yet.

The problem I've having is that although I can make and receive calls ok, sms no problem sadly GPRS and MMS are eluding me. I've copied all the GPRS and MMS settings from my XDA Mini S which works fine but MMS gives me errors (it doesn't even try to start a GPRS connection) and GPRS seems to fire up a connection, think about transferring data for a while and then die. When I was having a similar problem getting the Mini S on Vodafone someone pointed me to a Vodafone cab which did the GPRS settings automatically, if I can find them would these work on the Hermes?

Also, are there any restrictions aside from the ones mentioned for Vodafone that might be causing this issue?

Thanks for any help, between not being to use GPRS, no MMS and the totally unresponsive keyboard I'm starting to think I've made a serious mistake...I really want to like this phone though as it pretty much every thing I wanted that the Mini S lacked.

edit: Ok, my V1605 seems to have sensed my distress and guided me to the advanced section of the networks and I've managed to get MMS working. Now to test GPRS and try and work out what's up with this keyboard.

Thanks,

John

Edited by JohnMcL7