How do I "screen lock" the M3100

Guest Mewcenary

Guest Mewcenary

See topic :) I couldn't see anything obvious in the manual. It seems the Orange customisation of the device hides the locking feature, even if you try turning it on in "Today".

Any ideas?

(I just mean locking the screen from accidentally being pressed, rather than a password one)

Guest Pondrew

Usually the screen lock is a plugin on the today screen. It would have a picture of an open padlock with the word 'Device unlocked'. On pressing it it would become a closed padlock with the obvious 'Device locked'...

Guest hennapod

Interesting...

I can only get the "Device lock" option (through Settings...Today) if I turn off "Orange". If "Orange" is selected, turn on "Device Lock" and then do press OK to get to the today screen, the phone thinks about it for a couple of seconds and then returns to the today screen without adding the Device Lock option. Going back to the option list, "Device Lock" has de-ticked itself.

Guest Mewcenary

Yep, that's the same problem I'm having.

I found out the seemingly easiest way is to hit the power button (which turns off the screen). I'd like a way to do it like on my SPV C550 though, where you can just hold down the Red/End call button.

If I'm not wrong, I believe the WM5 devices are the first to feature true 'locking', in that you can lock the device whilst using it, which you couldn't do previously except if you used a third party app such as DeltaLock (godblessyadeltalock!).

There is AFAIK an issue with the Orange software preventing access to the bits 'n bobs that allow you to lock from the today screen. I haven't got mine yet but what i will certainly be doing is another concise breakdown of what you can potentially get rid of by doing the hard/soft reset trick (if it works on this device).

Basically it's sh1t Orange-installed stuff problems again.

Guest simonclark123

On my SPV M600, this was easy to remedy - just get rid of the Orange Today screen branding (in one of the menu options somewhere) and the lock/unlock reaappears.

Hopefully, I'll be able to do the same on my M3100 when it arrives.

On my M500, I used a free app called 'ScreenSwitch' (got it from Pocketgear) which allows you to turn off the screen via the screen instead of using the power button.

Regards

Simon Clark

Business Telecoms

Guest Paul (MVP)

I believe you can add device lock to the 'tray' section, thereby allowing it to work with the O homescreen.

I'll have a look when I get time.

P

Guest Mewcenary
Interesting...

I can only get the "Device lock" option (through Settings...Today) if I turn off "Orange". If "Orange" is selected, turn on "Device Lock" and then do press OK to get to the today screen, the phone thinks about it for a couple of seconds and then returns to the today screen without adding the Device Lock option. Going back to the option list, "Device Lock" has de-ticked itself.

This worked, thanks!

Basically, yes, you have to turn off the "Orange" setting within "Settings...Today" in order to select any of the other options.

I have no idea why Orange wanted to force their own interface onto the Today screen. The default one is much more informative and easy to use!

Edited by Mewcenary

Guest MARKUKCOUK
This worked, thanks!

Basically, yes, you have to turn off the "Orange" setting within "Settings...Today" in order to select any of the other options.

I have no idea why Orange wanted to force their own interface onto the Today screen. The default one is much more informative and easy to use!

The Orange screen owns all, which is annoying because I quite like it.

If orange screen is on, ALL today plugins turn off.

Guest filipv

Hi people...

new to this forum just as i got the new SPVM3100 on orange....ex treo 650 user.

Does anyone know how to screen lock the device automaticly?...same as from today screen but auto, e.g. 3 min.

thanx

Does anyone know how to screen lock the device automaticly?...same as from today screen but auto, e.g. 3 min.

I just use the "Lock" app in personal settings.. stops people getting in too :)

Forgot to mention I also use the auto off option in power->advanced..

Fully

Edited by Fully

Guest Markee

Not sure if this has been answered above..

But the screen lock, when using the Orange today screen, works off the power button.

When you press the power button to turn the display off, this also locks out all the buttons (apart from the power button).

When you press the power button again, the screen comes on and the buttons work again!

Quite neat, really.

Hope this helps

Markee

Guest Markee

.................Following on from my last post...

Apparently, previous Orange SPVs switched off the creen when you pressed the power button, but the other buttons were still live and you could make calls whilst it was in your pocket without knowing.

This was true of the M500????

Guest danwatson1974

No, not true of the M500 ... if you set the phone correctly, pressing the power button locks all external buttons except the power button.

Guest filipv

yes, i've been using the off button to lock the device. The problem i find it is that co many times i have to press it a number of times as there is a delay in switching the screen on. Sometimes i press the button, nothing happens, the press it again, nothing and then press it again but in the meantime its switchen on and now i switched it off...arrgghh...

There seems to be a really nice 'proper' phone lock feature in the device ...the one available from the today screen but its only accesible from today. Isnt there a way of getting that feature to be timed?...e.g. 2 min, 3 min...etc..