Paul Reviews... the Orange SPV M3100

Guest PaulOBrien

Greetings trolls, first post here. I placed my order online today (finally the phone is in stock online!!) and it will be here on the 3rd. Am sure its going to be a great phone, but is there a way to add the T9 virtual pad? By adding a cab?? file in the extended ROM or whatever? This is such a great dissapointment, i always find myself texting while driving and without the virtual T9 i cant c a way to text with one hand.

Guest MitchellO
This is such a great dissapointment, i always find myself texting while driving and without the virtual T9 i cant c a way to text with one hand.

Thats a really good reason not to tell you where to get the cab. Driving while texting is SOOOOOO dangerous.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Texting and driving with a regular phone, while still a really bad idea, is just about possible due to the fact you can do it without looking at the device, as the keys give you feedback.

Texting and driving with a Pocket PC, even with Phone Pad, is a REALLY bad idea.

P

Texting and driving with a regular phone, while still a really bad idea, is just about possible due to the fact you can do it without looking at the device, as the keys give you feedback.

Texting and driving with a Pocket PC, even with Phone Pad, is a REALLY bad idea.

P

Lol come on fellas give me some slack will ya!? :rolleyes: Is it possible to get the virtual T9 or not? :( Thanks

Here is some feedback on the SPV M3100 and SAP connectivity - particularly Mercedes. BMW should be fine as it does not use SAP - when will Mercedes catch-up!!

Dear Sir,

thank you for your inquiry regarding the case Mercedes Benz MHI Bluetooth adaptor doesn't work with HTC Tytn.

The Tytn has got already the SAP Bluetooth protocol integrated, although it is currently only directly compatible with the Carkits Nokia 616 and Parrot 3200.

http://www.expansys.com/htc/p_htc_phone.aspx?i=138056

It is expected that with the next rom upgrade the remote SAP protocol will also be updated and will therefore support more carkits.

Yours sincerely

Suzanne Winklhofer

[email protected]

http://www.htc.com

Hi, I just purchased an unlocked SPV M3100 and was wanting to know if anyone has tried this phone on the Cingular network? I will be somewhat buggered if it does not work. Of concern to me is the following statement I found on HTC's website:

UMTS/GSM/EDGE

UMTS: 2100 for Europe, 850/1900 for US

GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850, 900, 1800, 1900

Does this mean that the M3100 only has UMTS 2100 or does it infact have all three UMTS frequencies and HTC is just distiguishing what freq is for what country?

Guest ednicols

can anyone help, got a spv m3100 running wm5 and orange, how do i disable the orange addon, just want normal wm5! cant find it anywhere, am i just being dence? Cheers Ed

Guest Ollie Williams

Hi Ed,

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the 'orange add-on' but if you mean the orange branded homescreen, you should just be able to change this by going to settings-->homescreen or some such. It'll probably give you choices like windows basic, wireless, orange, and some others. Atleast this is how my C600 works. I'm still waiting on my device to arrive, i went with the HTC TyTn, to avoid any branded software or undue changes, plus, someone else is paying for it!

Hope this helps..

All the best,

Ollie

Guest Ollie Williams

Hey This reminds me, i actually had a question too!

The TyTn/M3100, Can someone please tell me how many colors the screen displays! I Think i've looked at near every review google could find on the device, and some list it as 65k and others as 256k. This was actually one of the things that lead me to buy the device, so it would be a shame to find it only has 65k colors.

Anyone?

Edited by Ollie Williams

Hi,

Got my lovely new M3100 on order, been told by Upgrades it'll be here in 2 - 3 days!

Currently using a Moto V3i - but longing to get myhands on a "proper" phone again - I had both a Treo 600 and SPV M2000 in the past.

Does anyone know what the range on the 3100 IR transciever is? The old m2000 was pointless as a remote control - as it only had a range of about 5ft. I see the M5000 has 30-odd feet...

Can I expect a decent range on the 3100, so I can use one of the PDA-Remote apps ?

can anyone help, got a spv m3100 running wm5 and orange, how do i disable the orange addon, just want normal wm5! cant find it anywhere, am i just being dence? Cheers Ed

Goto Start --> Settings --> Today

Then choose Windows Default on the 'Appearance' tab

then click on the 'Items' tab

deselct Orange - and select everything else

et voila WM5

Guest sameerabedi

The alarm notification on the M3100 is getting crazy! Most mornings after my alram goes off my phone promptly decides to freeze and I have to take the battery out to restart it.

This morning was even more bizarre! I changed the alarm time last night from 7.00am to 7.30am but the alarm still woke me up at 7.00am and then froze! When I restarted it two alerts came up, an alarm for 7.00am and one for 7.30am.

What is going? Any ideas would be much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest stripeycat

I'm looking at getting back on the Orange wagon, pay as you go is just working out too dear each month; it's down to the 3100 or the m600i right now, but the question which is keeping me up at night is: how it the 3100 when it comes to one-handed operation? Is this even possible? I'm not a huge fan of touch screen phones to be honest but with the specs on this machine i'd consider it if i thought i could use it relatively pain-free with just one hand (that is, without having to haul the stylus out every time i wanted to use the phone). :)

Could anyone give me their thoughts on this issue? Sounds strange i know, but with so many devices out now that do use the touch screen, there isn't an awful lot in Orange's stable that appeals to me other than this offering and SE's m600i, and this just seems to pack more of a punch (even though i'm certain i could get away with operating the m600i one-handed!)

Guest jimbouk
The alarm notification on the M3100 is getting crazy! Most mornings after my alram goes off my phone promptly decides to freeze and I have to take the battery out to restart it.

This morning was even more bizarre! I changed the alarm time last night from 7.00am to 7.30am but the alarm still woke me up at 7.00am and then froze! When I restarted it two alerts came up, an alarm for 7.00am and one for 7.30am.

What is going? Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Read the bugs thread in the hermes area. I think most people who have had alarm problems had installed some third party apps and these mucked up the alarm. Try removing the programs you've installed or hard resetting and then using it without any extra programs for a few days.

Guest jimbouk
I'm looking at getting back on the Orange wagon, pay as you go is just working out too dear each month; it's down to the 3100 or the m600i right now, but the question which is keeping me up at night is: how it the 3100 when it comes to one-handed operation? Is this even possible? I'm not a huge fan of touch screen phones to be honest but with the specs on this machine i'd consider it if i thought i could use it relatively pain-free with just one hand (that is, without having to haul the stylus out every time i wanted to use the phone). :)

Could anyone give me their thoughts on this issue? Sounds strange i know, but with so many devices out now that do use the touch screen, there isn't an awful lot in Orange's stable that appeals to me other than this offering and SE's m600i, and this just seems to pack more of a punch (even though i'm certain i could get away with operating the m600i one-handed!)

There is no such thing as a touch screen ppc that can be easily used one handed. If you are used to a phone keypad and T9, then you will have to get used to a fundamental change in the way you operate your device if you swap to a ppc.

On the 3100 (and all other similar devices) the touchscreen is fine - with the stylus. They are not easy to use with your fingers/thumb - even with third party screen keyboard apps.

If you want a rapid typing entry then the qwerty keyboard on the 3100 is amazing - but you need both hands.

Guest stripeycat

Hmm, i remember battling with my old P800 a lot... the touch screen thing is fine and dandy, but i just want the oomph of one of these little guys thrown at a regular candybar handset, i guess.

I quite like the hideaway keyboard, the E61 i tried was awful in comparison so i think i'd be happier with the 3100 solution there.

It's just getting around from the main screen to other apps and into the OS, really. i had hoped that a combination of the D-pad under the screen as well as the scroll wheel (which i never realised any of these machines had) might make it more navigable than my old sony ericsson, and not force me to have to use the touch screen if i didnt absolutely have to; alas, from the sounds of things, not so.

Hey ho, back to the old waiting game. :)

Guest sameerabedi
Read the bugs thread in the hermes area. I think most people who have had alarm problems had installed some third party apps and these mucked up the alarm. Try removing the programs you've installed or hard resetting and then using it without any extra programs for a few days.

Do u have a link for thebugs section in the hermes area?

Guest stripeycat

Well, took the plunge so i have my 3100 in front of me, just about to start it's first 10 hour charge.

i must say the one handed operation, apart from texting, is pretty much okay; other than entering numbers on the onscreen keypad, everything can be controlled pretty much from the scroll wheel and d-pad, as i'd hoped.

plus, what a speedy little phone! :)

Guest smurfdrl

just ordered my 3100 tonight - and will arrive at work in 48 hours. can't wait, especially after reading the reviews here!

goodbye c600, it's been good (until your joystick stopped working properly!)

Guest smurfdrl
just ordered my 3100 tonight - and will arrive at work in 48 hours. can't wait, especially after reading the reviews here!

goodbye c600, it's been good (until your joystick stopped working properly!)

Well it arrived today - the same day the Smurfette got her hair chopped off.

Show asked me what I thought was more sexy - my phone or her hair.... I lied. She still loves me :)

Guest Marcuso5

Hi

Am new in this site, just want to ask you to help me with my SPV M3100 is being freezing and has a poor camera pics, is there any software to upgrade it. Please help...

Thanks

Marcus

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.