Paul's must have FREE Hermes software

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ingster
Anyone know of a program that will let me use wma or mp3 files for sms notifications? I've been using SDSounds on my C550 and can't find anything to replace it.

There is a program called 'Ringo mobile' but that cuts the sounds off before it's finished playing.

I usually convert my files from mp3 to wma, then copy them to the \windows folder on the phone itself, then it'll appear on the list of optional sms notifications.

I tend to use the orange lady - 'you have one new message' taken as a soundbite from the orage answerphone, i originally got it from coolsmartphone, but can't seem to locate it now - prolly not looking right but if ya pm me i'll post it up, sorry at work at the mo so can't do it yet.

Paul, if this isn't allowed let me know, don't want to tred on anyone's toes or get modaco into trouble Cheers

Edited by ingster

Guest freshmaker

Am I the only one around here uses AvantGo? Very handy for having good reading like the Guardian, Wired, and loads more chucked on to your device whenever you sync (via Active Sync, or just as easily over an HSDPA or 3G connection now). Good for those times when you can't access the web directly (on the tube, flight, etc.).

Edited by freshmaker

Guest nforsans
Am I the only one around here uses AvantGo? Very handy for having good reading like the Guardian, Wired, and loads more chucked on to your device whenever you sync (via Active Sync, or just as easily over an HSDPA or 3G connection now). Good for those times when you can't access the web directly (on the tube, flight, etc.).

Until very recently it was a must-have app. I used it for five years every single day, but I must admit that with unlimited web browsing a reality thanks to TMobile and the increasing popularity of rss and xml, I stopped using it and finally decided to uninstal it two/three weeks ago.

It takes quite some space, you need to sync AvantGo manually, and the sync process is a lengthy one if you have subscribed to many channels. Although I am very grateful to AvantGo for allowing us to browse our fav websites while off-line for years, I think it has now become an irrelevant proposition (at least for those of us on Web n walk)

What do you think?

Guest freshmaker
Until very recently it was a must-have app. I used it for five years every single day, but I must admit that with unlimited web browsing a reality thanks to TMobile and the increasing popularity of rss and xml, I stopped using it and finally decided to uninstal it two/three weeks ago.

It takes quite some space, you need to sync AvantGo manually, and the sync process is a lengthy one if you have subscribed to many channels. Although I am very grateful to AvantGo for allowing us to browse our fav websites while off-line for years, I think it has now become an irrelevant proposition (at least for those of us on Web n walk)

What do you think?

I use it much less as well because of w+w, but for anyone who regularly flies or takes the tube I'd still say it's a great free app. Takes about 3 minutes to sync 10 large channels' worth

of material over HSDPA now. Haven't used an RSS yet though so may be an outdated method of doing so now.

Guest nforsans

It is not that AvantGo is an outdated way to read news, but I have found RSS readers to be more flexible than AvantGo - you can copy/paste text, get the entry sent to you or someone else by email, etc. I use Egress and it works fine + ability to retrieve podcasts automatiocally - something AvantGo can't do.

Being a MoDaCo Plus member I am about to try Newsgator Go! for free - courtesy of Paul's efforts - which may be even better than Egress with the added ability to sync device content with on-line feeds so that each item is not read more than once.

Let's see how it goes, but the days of AvantGo for consumers (as we know it) are over. AvantGo making most its revenues by using the platform for professional applications (as opposed to enabling consumers to browse web content on their PPC while off-line), the rise of rss readers and unlimited data package won't mean the end for AvantGo.

My 2 pence contribution..! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mates,I want to use visual basic on my vario 2..Any body knows where i can get the visual basic 6.0 or pocket visual basic or whatever it is called?! I need it urgently..Thanks

Edited by WM guy

Guest richard_d

Found an addictive freeware game posted in the Smartphone forum yesterday - Jumpy Ball from Pocketnew. Plays nicely on the Hermes - a nice little time waster, if quite tricky.

Guest richard_d
Hi, Does anyone have any decent GPRS data counter software for the TyTn - as it doesnt come with one as standard!

Thanks

Don't know of any freeware that does it - SPB do commercial software which does come free with the Vario II, but I don't think it's dear.

Guest Christopher Woods

Mildly surprised that Switch (hfrmobile.com) hasn't made it onto the list - I've used it daily since the first day I found it. It's not perfect (loads before the PIN entry screen, as it's for PDAs not so much smartphones so it's not coded to wait for the PIN entry screen to disappear before it loads)... Even with that minor flaw, it's WELL worth the one extra tap it takes to close the (blank) screen, functionality-wise it's one of the most user-friendly task manager apps out.

I'm trying to maKe Magic Button work but it always end up locking my Trion. Any advise?

other task managers like WisBar do not work to. Installed InClose (it's large, put at SD) and works flawless. Thanks Jygar.

PHM Regedit from www.PHM.lu?

The editor built into Resco Explorer is my favourite, but not free (unless you're a Plus member!)

P

WOW map24mobile is simply awesome!

I am glad I found this site and I am glad I read through these posts!

Thank you.

Guest actterrier

I hope i am posting this in the right place. if not, apologies--i'm new.

i am trying to get help with a problem i have when trying to connect my new jasjam to the PC (and the laptop). thes emachiens are running XP (SP2). both have the AVG antivirus software but different firewalls (Kerio, Comodo).

On both, I have done a clean install of ActSynch 4.2 and attached the usb cable (direct, not via a hub). This charges the jasjam and also allowed me to synch a previous device.(Xda II mini). With the jasjam, however, I follow all steps, it creates a new LAN connection, but then it stops and will not find the device. hence no synching and no data transfer.

help!

I hope i am posting this in the right place. if not, apologies--i'm new.

i am trying to get help with a problem i have when trying to connect my new jasjam to the PC (and the laptop). thes emachiens are running XP (SP2). both have the AVG antivirus software but different firewalls (Kerio, Comodo).

On both, I have done a clean install of ActSynch 4.2 and attached the usb cable (direct, not via a hub). This charges the jasjam and also allowed me to synch a previous device.(Xda II mini). With the jasjam, however, I follow all steps, it creates a new LAN connection, but then it stops and will not find the device. hence no synching and no data transfer.

help!

I found that I had to add an allowed application to my firewall to get it to run properly - all four .exe files from the activesync directory must be allowed, on installation mine had only added three (from memory it was wcesmgr.exe - or something like that - that needed to be added). Gave exactly the problem you describe. If that fails try going into connections on the phone, usb-pc connection and uncheck 'use advanced usb functionality'.

May I humbly suggest the following two things?

http://personales.ya.com/beemer/download/N..._WM2003_WM5.zip

To get rid of the auto-popup of the onscreen keyboard.

and

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=279585

For 8525 users to get back use of the button under OK on the side (Cingular set it Push To Talk, a feature they don't even have yet...).

Guest onsomething

There's some great stuff here, for sure, but unfortunately, Nodata totally screwed up my ability to roam in the states when I tried to switch it off again... and then damaged the settings permanently when I uninstalled it.

Batti has caused my device to lock up....

Guest surfheli

I too am having trouble with the "AKU23NoClock.noUPX.CAB "

copied it over, ran it, and re-booted but no clock in the title bar.

does it have to be activated from somewhere?

Guest unicron

hello, i know what to do wiyh almost all these great cabs and tweaks but the extended rom one?

1. what does it do?

2. what do i use it for and how?

3. does something open in programmes or settings menu asking me to install a cab there?

These qusetions may sound silly but i have never touched or flashed an extended rom so i thought i might give it ago, i have not installed it yet just incase i do something wrong.

thanks for any help

Guest richard_d
hello, i know what to do wiyh almost all these great cabs and tweaks but the extended rom one?

1. what does it do?

2. what do i use it for and how?

3. does something open in programmes or settings menu asking me to install a cab there?

These qusetions may sound silly but i have never touched or flashed an extended rom so i thought i might give it ago, i have not installed it yet just incase i do something wrong.

thanks for any help

It opens up (makes viewable) the space reserved for the operator customisation allowing you to edit the files (if brave/foolhardy) and arguably more usefully gives you extra space to install applications.

Is there a free application where, if your status is busy according to your calender and you miss a call due to this, a sms will be sent to them saying, for example, "Sorry I'm in a meeting now, i'll call back asap"?

Guest randomelements

pob

you could have a look at the Mobile Secretary - it will send sms's automatically and also can send you're current calendar info.

Check it out here.

Edited by randomelements