Connected via WiFi, but 3G icon still present?

Guest Cummo

Need a bit of advice, just to make sure I don't receive a huge bill...

Got my M3100 from Orange, it's great. Connected to WiFi at home no problems...but when I'm on the net both WiFi icon and 3G icon are present. Will the phone be defaulting to Wifi? How do I check?

I am determined not to get stung for mega-bucks by O.

Are you using push mail or anything?

Push mail always goes via a mobile connection.

P

No, (don't think so anyway, how do I check).

I just want regular email retrieval, regular internet and maybe a bit of skype chat via WiFi.

PS: are there any essential/cool software downloads, game recommended etc.

Excuse my ignorance, I am new to pocket PC's but loving it.

Guest jimbouk

Before connecting to wifi, hold the end call button down for a few seconds. This will disconnect the current 3g data connection (and the small three above the signal bars will change back to the antenna symbol).

Then turn on wifi and open internet explorer. If the phone pops up a "connecting to Orange Internet 3g" message then your wifi is not connected properly. If so, make sure you have a valid IP address from your wifi router (probably 192.168.x.x) in comm manager, menu, wlan settings.

Before connecting to wifi, hold the end call button down for a few seconds. This will disconnect the current 3g data connection (and the small three above the signal bars will change back to the antenna symbol).

Then turn on wifi and open internet explorer. If the phone pops up a "connecting to Orange Internet 3g" message then your wifi is not connected properly. If so, make sure you have a valid IP address from your wifi router (probably 192.168.x.x) in comm manager, menu, wlan settings.

Thanks for your advice, do you know if there is a 3G/GPRS data counter which separates WiFi?

Guest jimbouk
Thanks for your advice, do you know if there is a 3G/GPRS data counter which separates WiFi?

SPB do one, but it would only show the 3g/gprs anyway - which is probably want you want.

Guest jimbouk
Are you sure your 3g is connected?

is it the big square your seeing or the litle square on the signal section?

When wifi is active the biq square is replaced by the wifi icon.

Guest brandall
When wifi is active the biq square is replaced by the wifi icon.

I need some help on the same subject please.

I have direct push set up and it is working fine (connects via 3g when I'm out and about) - I also have WiFi set up via my router at home and it's working fine (I can connect to the internet etc).

My problems start when I stop the device 'sleeping'. WiFi and 3g (the icon above the bars) have a race to see who can connect first and I keep having to press the red end call button until 3g gives up and WiFi is properly connected. 3g then stays away UNTIL I receive an email!?

I've run a couple of tests this morning (emailing myself etc) and regardless of whether I am connected to WiFi correctly, when an email is on it's way to me 3g kicks in.

I've tried to keep pressing the red button to stop it connecting and when I do so I get one of the following errors:

1) synchronization interrupted

2) Waiting for Network

3) Most strange of all I get Newtwork Log on request - Resource: Orange GPRS WAP asking me for user name, password and domain? <--- what's this about - all of this information is already stored and works fine if 3g is left to connect me.

I'm hoping someone is going to tell me that 3g connecting is just what it does and the data will actually come from the WiFi conntection - but this doesn't add up because when I try and stop it, it wont sync, with the above errors.

Help! I want to use my free WiFi conntection only!

One more thing - does having the little 3 above the bars mean I am being charged or can you have it there and it cost nothing?

Cheers

Guest jimbouk

I don't know if its been fixed in this rom but as direct push always uses the gprs/3g there is a danger of internet traffic also using it. It was recommended that you turn off direct push before starting wifi browsing. I turn off directpush in comm manager just to be sure.

You are not charged for being connected - only for actual data.

Guest brandall
I don't know if its been fixed in this rom but as direct push always uses the gprs/3g there is a danger of internet traffic also using it. It was recommended that you turn off direct push before starting wifi browsing. I turn off directpush in comm manager just to be sure.

You are not charged for being connected - only for actual data.

Thank you - this worked.

I turned off Direct Push and I also made sure the settings in sync were set on anything but 'as it arrives' (I assume that is direct push).

Sync now runs every 5 minutes using WiFi connection only.

Sorted.

Guest jimbouk

When you turn directpush off in comm mgr it changes the "as items arrive" to manual anyway. When you turn it back on it changes both peak and offpeak to "as items arrive" (so if like me you don't want directpush over night you need to change offpeak to manual) - at least that's what my old device did.