Reading it has

Wi-Fi - know about that

3G - know about that

GSM/Quad-tri band and all that - know about that

EDGE ?

HSDPA ?

GPRS ? - related to satellite positioning aka TOM TOM etc

Chance for someone to shine!

Had M500 used the basuic functions, MSN, CAMERA,INTERNET,PICTURES/CAMERA,MP3,PHOTO CONTACTS etc

Want to really start showing off

So if I can find out what these other bits are I can start to make real use of it rather than being an ornament!

Guest jimbouk

Pondrew will be along any minute to move this to pocket pc!

Basic answers:

GPRS is the cellular data service - it is used for web browsing, emails and data connections. Pretty much all networks offer this as their basic data service.

EDGE is the latest enhanced version of GPRS - faster but otherwise the same - networks are rolling this out by upgrading their GPRS service where their 3g coverage is patchy.

3G is high speed data.

HSDPA is the latest enhancement for 3g data networks and is considerably faster. The UK networks are currently rolling this out on their 3g network (with initial speeds of 1.8mbs ie similar to home 2mb broadband and proposed speeds of 3.6 next year and 10 plus mbs by 2008).

So if you have data switched on with your account, you can send or receive emails and surf the web over GPRS (quite slowly), EDGE if its available and 3g if your handset is 3g enabled.

The main issue is the cost of data. There are various ways to pay for it - on Orange, you can pay as you go (most expensive), prebuy a monthly data bundle (4mb, 10mb or 25mbs) or you can get involved in the current debte about their new unlimited bundle.

If this is your first 3g handset, ask for the Try 3g package - its FREE and includes 1000mb per month for three months - so you can email and browse to your hearts content - BUT remember to decide what you want when the three months is up!

Guest Dr Who

To really show off stream a movie from a home computer to your handset using 3G or wifi via the Orb client (freeware download). Waaaayyyyy too cool for school.

Guest jimbouk
To really show off stream a movie from a home computer to your handset using 3G or wifi via the Orb client (freeware download). Waaaayyyyy too cool for school.

Once you are on an unlimited plan of some sort!

Guest jimbouk
Oops. Sorry Jimbouk, guess T-Mobile customers kind of take that for granted! :)

Tee hee

As do us Orange Try 1000 mb a month on 3G for free customers...

PS Call me Jim, I only require OCS to call me Mr BOUK

Guest musicvan
Sorry, I`ve been ploughing through here for a while but with no real joy

I have just got a SPV M3100

Reading it has

Wi-Fi - know about that

3G - know about that

GSM/Quad-tri band and all that - know about that

EDGE ?

HSDPA ?

GPRS ? - related to satellite positioning aka TOM TOM etc

Chance for someone to shine!

Had M500 used the basuic functions, MSN, CAMERA,INTERNET,PICTURES/CAMERA,MP3,PHOTO CONTACTS etc

Want to really start showing off

So if I can find out what these other bits are I can start to make real use of it rather than being an ornament!

Lots of technical background on the various mobile technologies ->

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gsm

Have a look at the right hand column which lists the various generations and further links for each, basically the higher the G the faster the data between phone and network! Also the more money the networks want off us ;) But recent moves from t-mobile (web n walk) offer more data for less cost :D Hopefully some competition will force other networks to change, Orange seem to be offering something but you would need a lawyer to work it out :)

Good luck with M3100....