M3100 Sync Problems

Guest paddy_mcnulty

Guest paddy_mcnulty

I've had the M3100 about 10 hours and unfortunately I just can't get it to sync.

At work I presumed it was because I had a very old useless computer (new one ordered but knowing where I work could take ages!). It recognised the phone, allowed me do the settings, etc, but would just hand in connecting when it actually started to sync. Odd.

So I thought I would try it home with a better computer and no admin privilage issues but it still won't work.

I've gone through the troubleshooter (actievsync 4.2) - tried everything they have said, altered setting in NEtwork Connections like they said but it says I don't have an IP. Changed the McAfee to allow all componiants of ActiveSync through it's firewall, searched here and tried the leave phone on and restart computer (just to get my contact uploaded at least!). But nothing is working at all. I just don't get it.

Anyone any ideas? Or is it ring Orange and hope, hope, hope.

Guest danwatson1974
I've had the M3100 about 10 hours and unfortunately I just can't get it to sync.

At work I presumed it was because I had a very old useless computer (new one ordered but knowing where I work could take ages!). It recognised the phone, allowed me do the settings, etc, but would just hand in connecting when it actually started to sync. Odd.

So I thought I would try it home with a better computer and no admin privilage issues but it still won't work.

I've gone through the troubleshooter (actievsync 4.2) - tried everything they have said, altered setting in NEtwork Connections like they said but it says I don't have an IP. Changed the McAfee to allow all componiants of ActiveSync through it's firewall, searched here and tried the leave phone on and restart computer (just to get my contact uploaded at least!). But nothing is working at all. I just don't get it.

Anyone any ideas? Or is it ring Orange and hope, hope, hope.

Are you using the version of Outlook on the Disc that you got with your M3100?

Guest jimbouk

Sounds like it is a networking/firewall issue. Have a look at your network connections when you plug the device in. A new network connection should appear. If not try turning your firewall off and try again.

if you have pin protected your device watch out for a password entry window.

Guest paddy_mcnulty

Wow, that's fast but...

I have reinstalled Outlook 2002 on the disk supplied and I have disabled the firewall. Still no joy. On Network Connections there has been a change though - it now says that the Windows Based Mobile Device is connected - although ActiveSync doesn't seem to recognise this. (before I got Window Based Mobile Deivce is Not Connected or Limited Connectivity so there is an improvement here).

I just can't work out what is happening. All my other devices I have had 've had no trouble at all with - literally plug and play!. One thing is odd, here at home I can't explore my device as but at work - on a signifcantly olded and craper computer I can. Home computer just won't find it.

Any ideas...?

ADDITION: Now what is happening is that it is going to troubleshooter. It seems to scan everything and tell me that it is unable to establish a link between the PC and the device. So I follow the link and have been doing everything they have said both on the PC and the device. The active sync on the device is stuck with the icon doing that circle thing and saying connecting but the PC is having none of. What to do next...

Edited by paddy_mcnulty

Guest Paul (MVP)

OK... so it definitely sounds like a networking issue, probably firewall related.

I assume you've tried disabling the firewall completely, for test purposes?

P

Guest proindigo
Wow, that's fast but...

I have reinstalled Outlook 2002 on the disk supplied and I have disabled the firewall. Still no joy. On Network Connections there has been a change though - it now says that the Windows Based Mobile Device is connected - although ActiveSync doesn't seem to recognise this. (before I got Window Based Mobile Deivce is Not Connected or Limited Connectivity so there is an improvement here).

I just can't work out what is happening. All my other devices I have had 've had no trouble at all with - literally plug and play!. One thing is odd, here at home I can't explore my device as but at work - on a signifcantly olded and craper computer I can. Home computer just won't find it.

Any ideas...?

ADDITION: Now what is happening is that it is going to troubleshooter. It seems to scan everything and tell me that it is unable to establish a link between the PC and the device. So I follow the link and have been doing everything they have said both on the PC and the device. The active sync on the device is stuck with the icon doing that circle thing and saying connecting but the PC is having none of. What to do next...

did you install activesync 4.2?

Guest jimbouk

Once you have an IP connection try removing all previous partnerships from activsync and then plugging the device back in. Also make sure activesync connection settings include USB.

Guest paddy_mcnulty

Yep, disabled the firewall completly.

Also, I have added the relevant files to be allowed full access to the internet.

Also, because I have just installed ActiveSync 4.2 (to replace 3.8) there are no previous connections.

Tried again after checking everything and following various routes. Have restarted machine also. I will try that one more time and report back but in meantime thanks for all the ideas - keep them coming and hopefully it be sorted - man will I be upset if I have to send it back to O...:-(

I get this occassionally too... It works intermittently, but then will connect & synchronise OK... I find that just disconnecting the phone and then reconnecting a few minutes later will get the synch going - sometimes I have to do this a couple of times, though. There doesn't seem to be any common reasons that might explain why it does this.

I doubt very much that O will be able to help...

Edited by matho

Guest jimbouk

If that doesn't work, try another usb port on your pc (and don't use a hub).

You are trying initially to get a rndis connection between the device and the pc (with ip addresses of 169. etc etc)

Once you have that activesync should connect (unless your firewall stops the activesync programs from communicating).

Make sure you really have disabled your firewall.

Guest paddy_mcnulty

THis is odd.

I have definately disabled the firewall. and I have tried using the different USP ports and still no joy.

The thing I can;t understand is that when I tried it at work it at least connected - although didn't finish the sync because it just hung on the connecting but on the PC.

If I can't get it too work this evening I will just have to try on the new computers at work and see if that does anything.

Fingers crossed and if there any other ideas I'll try 'em.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I assume you've soft reset your device.

When you do ipconfig from a command prompt, you do you see something like this? This means that USB is working, networking is working - if you've got this far i'm surprised. If you're not getting an IP address, it really sounds like a firewall issue, altho you say you've disabled it. Did you check out the Mcafee tutorial I posted above?

P

ipconfig.gif

Guest paddy_mcnulty

Ok, thought I'd have to have a rest for an hour and watch a cheerful documentary on C4.

Then I remembered about the soft reset and read Paul's post (cheers ;) ). Did that and it all seems to work. I completely forgot about the soft reset on PPC's :) (used to my old C500, which my workmate has got her eyes on - but soemhow I'd feel sad to let it go).

And lo, it connected and sync'd up first time. So fingers crossed it'll sync with the work machine - the important one for the calendar!.

Thanks for all your help everyone. Although it's been a hassle I think I know about a bit more now. Cheers!

Keep up the good work.

Pads

Guest bigdan
Ok, thought I'd have to have a rest for an hour and watch a cheerful documentary on C4.

Then I remembered about the soft reset and read Paul's post (cheers ;) ). Did that and it all seems to work. I completely forgot about the soft reset on PPC's :) (used to my old C500, which my workmate has got her eyes on - but soemhow I'd feel sad to let it go).

And lo, it connected and sync'd up first time. So fingers crossed it'll sync with the work machine - the important one for the calendar!.

Thanks for all your help everyone. Although it's been a hassle I think I know about a bit more now. Cheers!

Keep up the good work.

Pads

What is, and how do I soft reset?

Guest jimbouk
What is, and how do I soft reset?

Simplest way is to stick your stylus in the little hole on the bottom of the device. It basically power cycles the device (ie turns it off and restarts it). It retains all saved data - unlike a hard reset/clear storage - and simply refreshes the OS to remove any niggly problems that memory shortage or bugs may have caused.