MDA Vario II on T-Mobile UK - it's official!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest cpetzny

Called T-Mobile sales yesterday: 'It'll be out tomorrow, ring back then and I'm afraid I can't pre-order it for you as it's not on our systems yet'.

Called again this morning: 'It's due for release this week, keep trying'.

Have to go to the US on business on Monday, fingers crossed I can get hold of one before then, because it's guaranteed to be permanently out of stock when I get back.

Good luck everyone...

Chris

just got off the phone with my contact at T Business and she said that she emailed their handset dept regards the press release asking about UK stock but hasn't heard back yet. She thinks it is possible to be in this week but more likely for next...

fooey... :):(

Guest jimbouk
I'm gonna return the devices to orange, and sit it out with my c600.

sod it, im past caring right now.

sick and tired of being messed about by both orange and t mobile. they are both as bad as each other

Sounds sensible. In a month's time it will all be different - O may have improved (or at least clarified their offer) or not and T's handset will be out (and you could have missed any rom teething problems with their device).

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Sounds sensible. In a month's time it will all be different - O may have improved (or at least clarified their offer) or not and T's handset will be out (and you could have missed any rom teething problems with their device).

Having said that,

Im thinking about upgrading, and goign sim only on tmobile.

it would work out like this...

Mix..

Mins 50

Texts 500

Cost: 7.50

Extra Texts:

Guest jimbouk
snip...

The high performance Lithium ion battery makes a talk time of up to 300 minutes possible and a standby time of up to 200 hours. ...

I know all manufacturers and networks overstate battery life but 8.5 days standby - thats just ridiculous!

The longest you could get one of these devices to last on a battery cycle is about 4 days and that is completely without using it or moving it (to avoid power usage on latching onto new calls) - and what is the point of selling an essential business communications tool if you don't use it!

Handy that T's press release is so flawed though - if you get one and you want out of the contract/dont like it, you could return it as "not as described"!

I'm inclined to agree but the M3100 is soooo much better looking than the Vario II and the button layout is more appealing also...

If only they could sort out this data deal I would stick with them...

The Uber helpful OCS person hasn't called back which is a shame... as If they could reconfirm the deal I'd be inclined to stay... oh well... I think timing of the T handset will swing it at this point in time.

Guest Dr Who
I went to two local stores in Birmingham city centre, and no-one (and I mean no-one) had even heard of the Vario2. So, obviously no phones in store, and obviously they not expecting any shortly :-(

Did you try the Bullring store? I now of at least ONE TMob staff in that shop that knows all about the Vario II!

Guest MARKUKCOUK
I'm inclined to agree but the M3100 is soooo much better looking than the Vario II and the button layout is more appealing also...

The Uber helpful OCS person hasn't called back which is a shame... as If they could reconfirm the deal I'd be inclined to stay... oh well... I think timing of the T handset will swing it at this point in time.

does anyone know where the web n walk settings can be found (Gprs/3g etc)

Guest jimbouk

There are issues with OCS promising call backs. I think their shift patterns are a little weird and that outcalls are prioritised lower than incalls (not suprising given the call queues).

It probably isnt helpful at this stage to comment that the 3100 is the most reliable, usable device I have ever had - including ones where the device/rom/network customisation wasn't so new!

Jim - agree with shift patterns and priorities not helping.

But have to say the M3100 has been splendid straight out of the box... no problems, no freezing, no resets...

damn fine handset that looks good too...

now I've got a couple of days to decide if I want to keep it or not... I wish they would sort out the data packages.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Jim - agree with shift patterns and priorities not helping.

But have to say the M3100 has been splendid straight out of the box... no problems, no freezing, no resets...

damn fine handset that looks good too...

now I've got a couple of days to decide if I want to keep it or not... I wish they would sort out the data packages.

Nice bloke from tmobile has said every other call hes getting this morning is regarding the vario ii, but they have no news on it at all

Guest The Doctor
Nice bloke from tmobile has said every other call hes getting this morning is regarding the vario ii, but they have no news on it at all

;) at this rate they'll be out of stock before they start selling them :)

its 11:34AM..... still not on the website....... :D

although i heard a release date of monday at one point....... so maybe monday.....

Phil

Guest peekie

One thing to take into account is the rom updates , t mobile are really bad with this, look how late the vario update was released after the orange updates , its not a matter of days its months. t mobile are good for the data and at the moment orange suck on data but t-mobile really suck real time on device support :) something the need to improve on, and with a few nice suprises coming soon , you can own a nice pinky phone and a bold head ;)

Guest The Doctor
One thing to take into account is the rom updates , t mobile are really bad with this, look how late the vario update was released after the orange updates , its not a matter of days its months. t mobile are good for the data and at the moment orange suck on data but t-mobile really suck real time on device support :) something the need to improve on, and with a few nice suprises coming soon , you can own a nice pinky phone and a bold head ;)

i'll go ahead and grab the orange update then and replace the keyboard driver :D

Phil

Guest The Doctor
Still hoping for a release this week, anyone know if it will be available with CoPilot, a la Vario?

Cheers,

Chris

no reason why they shouldn't...... you may have to sell your vital organs to get one with copilot tho :)

Phil

Guest Pondrew

Have to disagree with you Peekie, specificially with regard T-Mobile UK's rom updates. The HTC Wizard (MDA Vario) received TWO rom updates where Orange didn't actually release the device! Are you referring just to T-Mobile where you are?

The HTC Blue Angel, HTC Universal, HTC Magician and HTC Wizard all received not one but two update during their lifetime in the UK (to date!). From memory Orange UK have NEVER provided more then one rom update for a Pocket PC Phone in the lifetime of the device. From memory they have NEVER ended up releasing the latest available rom for a device (in the way T-Mobie UK's Blue Angel had the newest rom version of any Blue Angel).

T-Mobile UK have their own Windows Mobile update site where all their production roms are made available and this demonstrates support that is unique in the UK (not even O2s XDA mini-site has production roms for ALL their devices).

Of course, all either of us have are opinions but I'm sure you agree it's best for us NOT to make generalisations...

Guest jimbouk

I think he was referring to the speed of release of rom updates. Orange have been pretty good in the past with getting rom updates out to clients asap - whereas T have been months behind in some cases.

Guest Pondrew
I think he was referring to the speed of release of rom updates. Orange have been pretty good in the past with getting rom updates out to clients asap - whereas T have been months behind in some cases.

I'd have to disagree with that too. Orange finally released their sole SPV M2000 (HTC Blue Angel) rom months after T-Mobile had released not one but two! And even then it was out of date as the T-Mobile rom was a newer version despite coming out earlier! The SPV M1500 (HTC Alpine) has never received an update that I'm aware of. I don't think the SPV M500 (HTC Magician) did either?

What particular Orange device are you talking about? The only devices I would concede Orange have offered good support to were the Smartphones prior to the HTC Hurricane (after which the support became patchy at best in my opinion).

Oh, and I'm referring specificially to Orange UK as opposed to T-Mobile UK.

Guest jimbouk

I had an update on the M500. And the MSFP updates from orange beat T for all WM5 devices (i thought).

I know they aren;t a network but Imate were just about quickest - pity the didnt actually tell anyone though...

Edited by jimbouk

Guest Pondrew

Fair enough Jimbouk. Must say though that given the choice between the two Magician updates (one earlier then Orange, one later) on T-Mobile or the one on Orange I'd go with T as offering the better support...

Guest nevawlkalone

So, just a quickie....has the hermes come oiut on T-Mob yet...just mooched into manchester and they didnt have any out nor could they give me a contract to it....and its not on the site (at present)

Argh this is torment...my C550 keypad is going down the drain...i need a new phine....am baisically torn between data plans...what to do

Guest Dr Who
So, just a quickie....has the hermes come oiut on T-Mob yet...just mooched into manchester and they didnt have any out nor could they give me a contract to it....and its not on the site (at present)

Argh this is torment...my C550 keypad is going down the drain...i need a new phine....am baisically torn between data plans...what to do

If the keyboard is faulty I would be getting an Orange Care/Warranty replacement prior to upgrading. Nice shiny new C550 to leave in a box and look at occasionally........

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.