MDA Vario II on T-Mobile UK - it's official!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest The Doctor
FUNK !! So would WnW Pro let me use Orb .... or is the Orange deal better ??

Streaming IS allowed on WnW Pro... along with the use of the HSDPA network and faster upload speeds...

Phil

Guest pete.major
snip...

I just rang the Cardiff store out of interest to see what info they were giving. I got through to a girl who told me it would be released in October or November, in Quarter 3...

Actually I've asked in THREE tmobile stores and all three employees gave the same answer... November!

They're getting this date from somewhere. If they're guessing it would be unlikely they'd guess the same month.

I'm also suspicous about this "we're just testing it now, it'll be out tomorrow". Testing is more than just pushing a few buttons and releasing the thing... it's month(s) of tweaking and repeated tests. Sound like gibberish to me.

Guest Snoopstah

Equally, the two T-Mobile stores I've asked have both said it's released this month but they'll probably only get stock at the beginning of next month.

I think it's safe to say that nobody really knows - however, it can't be argued that it's out in Germany, which means the majority of testing has been complete - any remaining testing will be merely to check anything that differs between the German and UK variants of the device.

Guest rickwookie
I'm also suspicous about this "we're just testing it now, it'll be out tomorrow". Testing is more than just pushing a few buttons and releasing the thing... it's month(s) of tweaking and repeated tests. Sound like gibberish to me.

I was told that the three month long test had been completed and this was just the final test of the first delivery batch to check they had all the correct UK settings and software etc.

Guest rickwookie
What you need to understand, is that T-Mobile staff are NOT told when the handset is going to be released (other than the month in which it will be released). The official line is, to tell the customer to keep trying. This is why every time any of you call, you are being told to call back in 'x' days, or on 'y' day. I realise few of you will believe me, and continue to waste your time calling CS - but you're not going to get an accurate answer this way. I am a lot more clued up than your average CS bod so please take my word for it. :)

Surely CS have to know at some point, don't they? Like when they actually have a delivery.

How is it a waste of time calling CS? As soon as the devices ARE released isn't it a good idea to get one ASAP before they go out-of-stock like Orange's M3100?

But then again what would I know? I'm even less clued up than your average CS bod.

Guest Confucious
Isnt it odd that the T-Mobile Vario II tariffs are shown on another website, while T-Mobile itself doesnt list them? I found these tariffs a few days ago now.

http://ukphoneshop.com/T-Mobile%20Data/con...2025/index.html

3rd party shops often seem to "guess" at prices. They don't want to lose money so they price high in the hope that desperate people will order from them. I wouldn't take any notice of those prices.

I could be wrong, but...

Guest Dr Who
Just come off the phone from T-mob cs and they are saying should be out in next few weeks which could pit it into September.

I think as Fleabag has said elsewhere CS don't have a scooby until it appears on the system. It will arrive when it arrives.

Guest marisa4755

Just called CS and they said that definitely in the next 24 to 48 hours, almost certainly by Monday!

Keep an eye on the website!

They can't take pre-orders as it's not 'on the system'

The website & system could be updated at any time!

Anyone else getting bored with this?

If the press release had said next Monday, and it was available sooner, we'd all be thrilled. As it is, everyone's a bit cheesed off. Kind of takes the shine off it.

You'd think that the experts in Marketing etc would realise this by now, never promise what you can't deliver.

Guest AndrewH13

As a non-PDA owner never having used net on phone (other than SKY+ scheduling and news), perhaps you could confirm a few things for me, having read the specs on Vario II and its fast web use. They may be obvious, but confirmation wopuld be helpful.

I currently run a website and have own email via 1&1 Hosting. I access using Outlook Express at home (Do NOT have Outlook). At other PCs I have access via Webmail on the 1@1 site. Would there be access to email other than via the web providers server or are POP3 emails out?

Are ALL Internet sites available, ie no silly portals, and would you be seing the 'actual' full page.

I was considering the MIO A701 as it also included a GPS receiver. Any reason why this model would not be good for GPS use with an add-on Receiver? (Geocaching and later SATNAV, say Copilot with PIO camera database).

Thanks. Andrew

Guest nforsans
3rd party shops often seem to "guess" at prices. They don't want to lose money so they price high in the hope that desperate people will order from them. I wouldn't take any notice of those prices.

I could be wrong, but...

The trade price for the Vario II has been known to retailers for a couple of months: I posted earlier in this forum how T originally might have wished to start selling it in July, as it was part of the July prices brochure sent to retailer. Trade price is

Edited by nforsans

Guest jimbouk

quick answers to andrew's questions; it would do everything you want. you can access imap, pop and smtp mail with pocket outlook, you can access the full web, the pocket ie browser is ok but you can download even better one and you can use a bt gps receiver with sat.nav software on the device.

Guest Confucious

A couple of things Andrew.

1) You will need to use full Outlook (rather than Express) to Synch with a PPC - they all come with a copy of Outlook 2002 AFAIK

2) Most PPCs are made by HTC , I must admit I don't know a lot about the Mio - but All of them can use an external GPS receiver - I've just bought a SiRF III one off eBay for

Guest rickwookie
quick answers to andrew's questions; it would do everything you want. you can access imap, pop and smtp mail with pocket outlook, you can access the full web, the pocket ie browser is ok but you can download even better one and you can use a bt gps receiver with sat.nav software on the device.

Off topic I know, but what browser would you recommend or do you mean that there's is an improved Pocket IE available for download?

Edited by rickwookie

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.