MDA Vario II on T-Mobile UK - it's official!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest jimbouk

I think Opera is a favourite with some folks here. There's only one version of PIE (I think) but if you have SPB Pocket Plus installed, you get the option to have multiple browser windows.

I think the only advantage of integrated GPS is that you only need to charge and remember one device, whereas with a standalone BT GPS receiver you need seperate chargers etc.

But I personally would go with the Hermes (as its currently the best pocket pc phone out there) and a separate sat nav solution.

Guest The Doctor
Off topic I know, but what browser would you recommend or do you mean that there's is an improved Pocket IE available for download?

Opera for PPC? Think you can get it free with MoDaCo Plus. Also theres some various PIE addons available like PIE Plus etc.

Phil

Guest gingerprince
This afternoon, is the current eta. They said it should be up later otherwise tomorrow at 12 when the next webupdate is done

*refresh*

Nope.

See you all next week! ;) :)

Guest Fleabag

Hi guys, the release of the V2 is definately this month. I work for T-Mob and receive emails daily advising of ETA's for handset releases - as mentioned earlier it is generally a monthly guide or 'in the next x weeks'. The V2 release is imminent, none of you will be waiting until November. As far as the 'testing' is concerned, this does happen on a unit level at times - sometimes shipments will contain a very high percentage of faulty models - as a result it is not unusual for T to physically test high volumes - this is to avoid the hassle and time involved in shipping and then returning a faulty handset.

As far as the WNW is concerned the pricing is simple.

WNW regular, comes as an addon of

Edited by Fleabag

Guest Fleabag
This is an issue of the price being with or without VAT.

For business users the price is quotes without VAT. See here

Your link was to the consumer section where the price is listed including VAT.

17 + 17.5% = 19.98

I was wondering where I got 17 from. :)

Guest AndrewH13
A couple of things Andrew.

1) You will need to use full Outlook (rather than Express) to Synch with a PPC - they all come with a copy of Outlook 2002 AFAIK

Thanks. What is achieved by synching, is it that emails read, deleted etc are carried over to the earlier PC/PDA?

Are you saying that the PDAs come with a PC version of outlook, for those humble people like myself that use OE? (so that synching can take place)

Guest Confucious
Thanks. What is achieved by synching, is it that emails read, deleted etc are carried over to the earlier PC/PDA?

Are you saying that the PDAs come with a PC version of outlook, for those humble people like myself that use OE? (so that synching can take place)

The main point of synching is for contacts - PPCs come with Pocket Outlook so just about all the info you store in Outlook will be copied to our phone and kept in sync (and therefore backed up as well!)

Yes :D

Guest AndrewH13
whereas with a standalone BT GPS receiver you need seperate chargers etc.

Thanks for comments. What is the significance of BT before receiver numbers? Is it a standard or are we talking 'made by British Telecom' ?

BT = Bluetooth

GPS receiver...

device that receives the satellite signals and passes on the triangulation information to the Sat nav software on the phone via a Bluetooth connection

Guest pd.ryder
Thanks for comments. What is the significance of BT before receiver numbers? Is it a standard or are we talking 'made by British Telecom' ?
Nope :D BT = BlueTooth, thats all.

Guest Confucious

Bluetooth is a short range wireless transmiter standard. with a BT receiver you can position it where you get best reception (which isn't necesarily where you want your phone) and also means you don't have the added complexity in the phone.

Like I say, I don't know much about the Mio but built in GPS is not something that appeals to me.

Guest AndrewH13
BT = Bluetooth

GPS receiver...

device that receives the satellite signals and passes on the triangulation information to the Sat nav software on the phone via a Bluetooth connection

BT - Pretty obvious now!!!

I know GPS, have a (borrowed) Garmin 12 Receiver which I found great for hillwalking and GeoC. This is what got me into this whole Do I buy a dedicated GPSr or PDA question as I've fancied a PDA for a while (email/excel etc while out and about, as Im recenty self-employed).

Guest AndrewH13
Bluetooth is a short range wireless transmiter standard. with a BT receiver you can position it where you get best reception (which isn't necesarily where you want your phone) and also means you don't have the added complexity in the phone.

Like I say, I don't know much about the Mio but built in GPS is not something that appeals to me.

And I thought Bluetooth was just a mechanism for sending mucky videos betweeen people's phones ;-)

Seriously, I use it for transfer with my PC, when I cant find Sony Walkman's lead!

Ive found that (maybe MIO excepting) PDAs with GPS tend to use older technology but still be overpriced. And although its tempting having the one unit, it's harder to upgrade in future if all your eggs are in one basket.

Guest AximMarkSD

i've got a couple sort of related questions, if you don't mind.

anybody know when dopod or qtek might begin selling the tytn? any speculation on price? they seem to be around on the internet at between $739 and $900. is anyone better or worse as far as ROM updates? is any ROM preferable to the other (dopod vs. qtek etc.)?

i'm just tired of toting around two devices and would really like to just get this an be done with it but it seems a ways off in the US at least as far as being offered by a wireless carrier.

thanks, all.

Quote from T-Mobile business email today...

"I have been informed that they are coming in to stock today, they are in our warehouse but have to pass a number of tests before they go in to stock and it is going to retail at

Guest FlangeArtist
Quote from T-Mobile business email today...

"I have been informed that they are coming in to stock today, they are in our warehouse but have to pass a number of tests before they go in to stock and it is going to retail at

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.