What have you managed to fit in EXTROM?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

For those of you like me who have backed up an emptied EXTROM, what have you managed to fit in?

I'm using it to store apps as my microSD hasn't arrived yet, I'm 'UPX4PPC'ing all apps (with backup until I confirm they work), and i'm doing pretty well. See my 'must have software' post for the UPX4PPC link, and there'll be a news item soon :)

So:

EXTROM FREE SPACE STILL REMAINING: 3.1MB

Installed:

CEDit - Text Editor

mToken - SSH Client

1-Calc - Great calculator

Pocket Stock Monitor - Exactly what it says ;)

Quickmark - QR Code Reader (renamed DLLs to English, deleted non english DLL)

Resco Picture Viewer - Photo Viewer

SKTools - Great general tool

SlingPlayer - Slingbox Mobile software

Total Commander - Advanced File Explorer toolkit

UPX4PPC - Compression app

VitalScan - in car BlueTooth diagnostics app=

I reckon i've done pretty well :D

P

Depends.

When you load Quickmark, is it in English or Chinese? ;)

P

Chinese :) .... How do I go about getting it to english? Or is this question answered somewhere else?

/Jez

\Program Files\QuickMark (or in the equivalent Storage Card dir if installed to Storage Card)

This is what I thought - I installed to the \Storage folder (standard install) but all I can see in Prog Files\ Quickmark are two files, called 'find' and 'Quickmark'. I've got 'View all Files' turned on??

Are you sure? It's not showing extensions either by the sounds of it?

Yup - slightly off topic though as I'm actually referring to an M500 version (Sorry)

Nothing there in Win Explorer either! :)

Edit: -> Topic ;) The application packer you're using sounds pretty funky!

Edited by NikLP

Guest rkrishnamurthy

Guys, i want to check something first before i empty my extended rom and install my own stuffs.

1) if i take a backup and empty my extended rom, next time when i want to do a hard reset should i need to put back the contents first to get the carrier customizations?

2) i know the internal memory is accessed faster than the storage card but is it significantly faster? why i am asking this i can install all the home screen plugin apps like WisBar, PB all at extended rom.

appreciate ur help guys.

Thanks

Guys, i want to check something first before i empty my extended rom and install my own stuffs.

1) if i take a backup and empty my extended rom, next time when i want to do a hard reset should i need to put back the contents first to get the carrier customizations?

2) i know the internal memory is accessed faster than the storage card but is it significantly faster? why i am asking this i can install all the home screen plugin apps like WisBar, PB all at extended rom.

appreciate ur help guys.

Thanks

I believe on Orange the CAB which contains the network settings is the one that contains 'MMS' in its name.

You should install anything you can fit onto internal memory (Storage/Ext ROM), if you are going to use it frequently/all the time. Fill Ext ROM first though.

Is there a way to "unmount" the extended rom partition again?

You can, I recall the M500 had a mount and an unmount application in the extended rom. There's not much point though, it doesn't harm anything by being available or visible.