Can't send mail on orange.net

Guest jimbouk

Guest jimbouk

it's got me stumped... I can access my orange.net mails fine on my laptop and can send and receive (via smtp.orange.net) on my 3100 (over 3G and wifi) but I can't send mail on my orange.net account on the 3100.

I can receive fine. The account is set up to send via smtp.orange.net and to authenticate!

So orange mail is working on laptop but not on 3100 (but other pop accounts are working fine via orange internet and smtp server).

Help!

Edit - see further down for fix!

Edited by jimbouk

Guest jimbouk
Try without authentication.

If you are connecting using Orange GPRS/3G then yuo don't need smtp auth.

Thanks Jon but whilst that gets it working over 3G - it still won't send over wifi - which my last two wifi enabled wm devices did allow (with authentification left on all the time). Any further ideas?

Thanks Jon but whilst that gets it working over 3G - it still won't send over wifi - which my last two wifi enabled wm devices did allow (with authentification left on all the time). Any further ideas?

Which ISP(s) are we talking about? When sending over GPRS/3G is it dialling Orange Internet or Orange WAP? Not sure if it would make a difference but might be worth tweaking.

I just tried mine, with wifi and using smtp.orange.net without auth, sending failed. I get an "invalid recipient" error and teh email is moved to drafts.

Turn the auth on and it send over wifi quite happily.

I know that doesn't help your problem though. I can only think that maybe your ISP intercepts all port 25 traffic and routes it through their own server maybe? Although if your previous 2 devices worked?...

You have checked your username/password thoroughly haven't you?!

Guest jimbouk

Home broadband is Pipex - and I have been able to send orange.net emails via my prophet and via my m500 (with a sd wifi card) on both wifi and orange gprs for the last year or more. I left athentification on and it worked both ways.

I now have similar situation as you - except I cant send via wifi with or without authentification!

It's not the biggest issue as when at home, I can either use 3g or use my laptop (sending orange emails with authentification over the same broadband connection) but as it has worked on all previous devices, I am confused!

I even remember sending orange.net emails over my home broadband with my old C500 (using bluetooth'd activesync passthrough - very handy for emailing in the bath!)!

Guest finisterre

I've been trying to set up SMTP authentication, so I can send through Orange's SMTP whether connected via Orange or WIFI.

However, I'm not sure what the SMTP username and password should be.

Can anyone advise? Or where can I find it out?

Thanks.

Guest filipv
I've been trying to set up SMTP authentication, so I can send through Orange's SMTP whether connected via Orange or WIFI.

However, I'm not sure what the SMTP username and password should be.

Can anyone advise? Or where can I find it out?

Thanks.

i just use smtp.orange.net smtp server , not auth, no log/pass ..works fine ..but my GPRS is really flaky ..sometimes it works , sometimes it doesnt.

Guest gingerprince

ISP's block access to their SMTP servers based on IP address ranges, to reduce spamming. Therefore when you are using GPRS/3G etc you are on Orange so should use smtp.orange.net or whatever. When you are using your WiFi connection you are on your Pipex ISP and therefore need to use smtp.pipex.net or whatever for sending emails.

Guest jimbouk

I guess Orange have only recently decided to block even authenticated users. Doesn't explain how I can send and receive via outlook on my laptop over the same broadband connection though?

Guest pug205

I have the same problem. I can pickup email from my non orange mail server, but not send email via smtp.orange.net using GPRS. I have the same settings on my M500 as my new M3100 but it only works on the M500, anybody any ideas ?

Guest sleighty
I have the same problem. I can pickup email from my non orange mail server, but not send email via smtp.orange.net using GPRS. I have the same settings on my M500 as my new M3100 but it only works on the M500, anybody any ideas ?

Mine has been the same. M500 ok. m3100 settings appear same but don't work. Found a solution today but it might not work for all.

First create a new connection or edit an existing one: START>SETTINGS>CONNECTIONS tab>CONNECTIONS icon>ADD NEW MODEM CONNECTION

Enter name as: Orange.net UK

In lower drop-down box select : Cellular Line (GPRS,3G)

Click NEXT

For access point name type: orangewap

Click NEXT

For user name type:your username

Leave password and domain fields blank, click FINISH and OK three times to get back to home screen

Now set up a new account with your email details and include the above connection when needed:

START>MESSAGING>MENU softkey>TOOLS>NEW ACCOUNT

Enter your email address

Click NEXT - it will try to download settings, Click NEXT to skip this before the wrong settings are downloaded.

Enter your name

Enter your user name as "your mobile [email protected]" eg [email protected]

Enter your password

Check SAVE PASSWORD

Click NEXT

Account type: select POP3

In Name field change POP3 to Orange.net UK

Click NEXT

Incoming mail enter: pop.orange.net

Outgoing mail enter: smtp.orange.net

Leave domain blank

Click FINISH tab

Click YES to download mail

If it doesn't work check that AUTO PICK is selected in START>SETTINGS>CONNECTIONS tab>CONNECTIONS icon>MANAGE EXISTING CONNECTIONS

Also you may be asked for password at network logon - leave blank and click OK

Good luck :D

Guest jimbouk

I can send and receive over GPRS (as authentification is off but its via an orange IP address so it allows it) but can't send over wifi (with or without authentification.

Oh well O's email service is so dodgy anyway I think I might have to move on to another mail service.

Guest mcwarre

Is this unique to Hermes?? I can send receive O mail via GPRS (on Voda) and over wi-fi with no issues (need authentication on). Or is it just that I don't use O GPRS.........

Guest jimbouk
Is this unique to Hermes?? I can send receive O mail via GPRS (on Voda) and over wi-fi with no issues (need authentication on). Or is it just that I don't use O GPRS.........

Yes. I could always send and receive on orange.net account on my JAMin and M500 on GPRS and Wifi. Now I can only send over GPRS with authentification off and cannot send at all over wifi. To clarify I can send and receive fine over both connections with another pop account so it must be something to do with the O account.

Orange's email performance over the last few months has been appalling, so I think I will migrate to another account - but its annoying not knowing why it doesnt work.

Guest jimbouk

OMG! It's working.

So when Orange launched their .net mail service, you logged in with your username, then they changed it a year or so ago to your orange phone number. So I have been logging in successfully for the last year with " 07xxxxxxxxx " and my password.

I know someone posted above log in with username as [email protected]

I just changed my login to " [email protected] " and hey presto!

So to clarify - Orange pop mail will let you log in with just your number and your password, but to authenticate on their smtp server (to send mail from your device over gprs AND/OR wifi) make sure your log in is your " [email protected] "

My life is now complete (even if their mail service is not the best)!

Just as an aside, you could do worse than have a look at Fastmail.fm email service. (If anyone decides to sign up, please PM me for a referral link, I could use some more storage :D - I'm not plugging it for that though, I just think it's good)

These guys offer a free and a paid-for service. It will collect all your pop/imap email from multiple accounts (including hotmail), filter it all into different inboxes, and offers so much functionality for a web mail client is basically ridiculous. Also you can then connect back up to their server using imap via outlook/pocket outlook/thunderbird and check/fetch mail from there if you want.

So you can use the web client and have multiple personalities, easily check for mail on your PPC without worrying about losing mail as it's imap, and all sorts of stuff. The Outlook integration is a bit tricky (read: I haven't done it yet) as the multiple inboxes I've set up on their server aren't proper imap root folders, so you can't just hack straight into it, but connecting is a breeze. I just have a bit of a weird setup where I have one PPC and two PC's, so syncing outlook email folders is a bit of an arse.

Guest jimbouk

Thanks but I rent an exchange server account from 4smartphone - which does all that and thus allows me to sync all my mail on multiple devices (and direct push) but I like to use the orange account for non-work related stuff and use their free text alerts to let me know if there's anything worth getting.

I'd like to have exchange but can't really justify the cost :D plus I don't know how to use most of it. Still struggling to get outlook to do half of what it can!