M3100 WIFI

Guest brandall

Guest brandall

So, I've got my M3100 - told the girl at Orange that Vodaphone had done a marketing call earlier and said I could have their equivalent handset for free and the

Guest jimbouk

Don't worry about "doubling up" - you can connect multiple devices to a wifi router via the same key.

With regard to network settings, if you havent mucked about with the actual settings that it came with, you want the top one to say Orange World and the private one to say My work network.

Then make sure you disconnect 3g (in com mgr end data service or via red hang up key for three seconds), then connect wifi and open up internet explorer.

A2gb card would come in handy actually!

Edited by jimbouk

Guest brandall
Don't worry about "doubling up" - you can connect multiple devices to a wifi router via the same key.

With regard to network settings, if you havent mucked about with the actual settings that it came with, you want the top one to say Orange World and the private one to say My work network.

Then make sure you disconnect 3g (in com mgr end data service or via red hang up key for three seconds), then connect wifi and open up internet explorer.

A2gb card would come in handy actually!

Thank you - but.... it didn't work? It just tried to connect to 3g everytime..... I put the settings back and then did a reset and now it works!!

So - thank you!, but, - what should those settings be? I changed them to 'My ISP' remembering the instructions on a version of WiFiFoFum I downloaded ages ago......

Will this cause problems with receiving MMS?

What are the four keys for on the router then? - why not just have one!?

CONFUSED but WIFI is working!

Guest jimbouk

I forgot to mention do a reset! Despite all settings being correct, networking devices sometimes remember routes you dont want them to and dont discover routes that you do want! The reset clears all such residual memories and ensures that the device acts as required:

It should use wifi by default if it is available. It should only use 3g if wifi isn't available. The one time that this may not be true is if you still have a 3g connection valid (say for direct push) and it uses this instead of the available wifi.

With regard to 3g, the way these devices are designed is that you have top levels of connection eg Orange World or My ISP and within those you can have multiple settings.

As far as I know, you should set your Orange World to use Orange GPRS 3G. Then tell your Select Networks to use Orange World to connect to the Internet - then each time you open a browser or connect to mail, it should see if it has a valid internet connection (eg wifi) and if not it will use Orange World (and thus Orange GPRS 3g).

I haven't got in to setting up vpn's to clients yet - but found on my last device that these could be set up using the MY WORK network settings - I recall early Orange WM2003 devices used the my work settings for MMS - but these now use GPRS MMS instead.

Some routers/access points offer four wep keys purely as a way to segregate encryption between different data types but its not used much if at all these days. Use of different keys doesn't reduce the encryption load on the access point and it doesn't segregate different users and types of users.

But don't worry. Having all your users on one key doesnt matter. The access point will still share the data throughput fine between you (ie you aren't all just using a quarter of the bandwidth or anything).

Guest brandall
I forgot to mention do a reset! Despite all settings being correct, networking devices sometimes remember routes you dont want them to and dont discover routes that you do want! The reset clears all such residual memories and ensures that the device acts as required:

It should use wifi by default if it is available. It should only use 3g if wifi isn't available. The one time that this may not be true is if you still have a 3g connection valid (say for direct push) and it uses this instead of the available wifi.

With regard to 3g, the way these devices are designed is that you have top levels of connection eg Orange World or My ISP and within those you can have multiple settings.

As far as I know, you should set your Orange World to use Orange GPRS 3G. Then tell your Select Networks to use Orange World to connect to the Internet - then each time you open a browser or connect to mail, it should see if it has a valid internet connection (eg wifi) and if not it will use Orange World (and thus Orange GPRS 3g).

I haven't got in to setting up vpn's to clients yet - but found on my last device that these could be set up using the MY WORK network settings - I recall early Orange WM2003 devices used the my work settings for MMS - but these now use GPRS MMS instead.

Some routers/access points offer four wep keys purely as a way to segregate encryption between different data types but its not used much if at all these days. Use of different keys doesn't reduce the encryption load on the access point and it doesn't segregate different users and types of users.

But don't worry. Having all your users on one key doesnt matter. The access point will still share the data throughput fine between you (ie you aren't all just using a quarter of the bandwidth or anything).

Thanks Jimbouk

I put the settings back to how they were, as you said, did another reset and it works, so I'm happy now and the other M3100 configured fine, only on key1 again though, but now I know they are not sharing bandwidth I am left with no problems at all <-- just doesn't feel right! - no problems!? How can this be?

I'm about to try and sort out push email, so watch this space!!