Bike-Riding Audiobook-Listening Wireless Headphone Options

Guest Palindrome

Guest Palindrome

I find myself at the cusp of acquiring a new phone (most probably a Hermes variant). All the potential new functionality is very exciting. Ideally, what I would like to have on my next phone is the ability to listen to audiobooks whilst cycling around London without wires. Is it possible to use a bluetooth headset to this end? It doesn't have to be stereo as I encode my audiobooks to mono, using only one earphone as I like to at least partially hear the lorry that's the harbinger of my squished remains on the tarmac. :D

What would be perfect would be wireless headphones that have buttons allowing me to control MortPlayer when my phone is in the saddle bag of my bike. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Palindrome

On the simpler side, is it possible to use bluetooth headphones, such as the Jabra BT330 for listening to audio coming from Windows Media Player or MortPlayer as well as using it for calls?

Guest Palindrome

Does anyone use their bluetooth headset to listen to Windows Media Player?

Or in other words, does the MDA Vario II support A2DP? I know the Tytn does but the people in the shop I called about bluetooth headsets seem to think that T-Mobile hadn't implimented it in the ROM. If it isn't supported there may be a hack to get A2DP working?

I'm currently trying to find some BT headsets to test the theory.

There is also a way to control WMP using the buttons on the BT headset called AVRCP. Again, it's hard get a good understanding of these things as I don't have a headset to experiment with. As soon as I do I'll post the results and give a difinitive answer to the question of getting the Vario II working with BT &A2DP.

Edited by Palindrome

Guest Palindrome

According to this review the Vario does indeed support A2DP (problem solved, everyone's happy).

I also called T-Mobile CS about this. So much better than Orange in that I wasn't fobbed of with a ridiculous statement. I was immediately transfered to a T-Mobile engineer who actually took some time to give me a proper answer. :D

OK, the answer was, noone knew. Not a single person in the call centre. He phoned the manufacturer, who didn't know and he called Microsoft, who also didn't know.

After we spoke he called me back and said he'd found this link:

July 28, 2006 - T-Mobile MDA ROM Update 2.26.10.2: This update for the T-Mobile MDA Pocket PC Phone updates the device's rom to version 2.26.10.2. This update features a radio fix as well as A2DP.

My ROM is 1.21.110.3. I asked if this was only for the Wizard but was told this update should be compatible with all the MDA type phones (though I am a bit worried that it may screw my Vario II up).

So, I'll get myself a headset, try it with 1.21.110.3 and if that doesn't work I'll update to 2.26.10.2 and pray things don't go terribly wrong.

EDIT: It seems that bluetooth headsets need to support A2DP, which is a shame considering all the mono headsets don't. Well, none of the mono headsets that I've researched (if anyone knows of a mono headset that supports A2DP I would be interested to know). So, I have the choice of getting a stereo headset that is as subtle as a brick in the face (full on earmuff-style) or bear with wired phones... I'll keep researching.

Edited by Palindrome