Wireless Issues

Guest andyhud

Guest andyhud

Evening All,

I have a M3100 from orange and I've reflashed it with tytn rom. All is fine in that respect.

however, with both roms (the orange one and the tytn one) I am unable to get an ip address from my DHCP server through my wifi access point (Netgear DG834G with latest firmware).

Amazingly though, the phone did get an IP the first time I switched wifi on after I put the tytn rom on it. Now however, I cant get an IP. I'm going to statically assign one just to prove whether or not the phone can see my network as a whole, but not getting an IP is very frustrating.

I've tried changing the Channel (11 to 7) on my wifi access point but still no avail. I just got an IP once after I first put the tytn rom on.

I've checked my DHCP server is all correct and addresses are available. Heck this laptop I'm typing from now is on the wifi without problems, even with a new DHCP lease.

Just wondered if anyone else has any problems (perhaps with that make/model of wifi access point..) or has any suggestions..

Cheers

Andy

Guest jimbouk

So the most obvious questions:

Is wep on and if so have you entered the right key?

Is mac filtering on and if so have you entered the wifi cards mac address (not the 3100's usb mac address?

Guest andyhud
So the most obvious questions:

Is wep on and if so have you entered the right key?

Is mac filtering on and if so have you entered the wifi cards mac address (not the 3100's usb mac address?

Apolgies

1. No WEP, just using MAC access control.

2. as above, MAC address of phone wifi card is in the netgear AP correctly. I've tripled checked it.

3. I have statically assigned an address to my phone and it works fine. I can access all network resources and the internet through my firewall. Its just not getting an address via DHCP (or so it appears)

Cheers in advance

Andy

Edited by andyhud

Guest jimbouk

Is ssid broadcast on? Some wm devices seem to find ssid-off wlans difficult to latch on to.

Also I would try it now with server assigned and see if it works.

Guest andyhud
Is ssid broadcast on? Some wm devices seem to find ssid-off wlans difficult to latch on to.

Also I would try it now with server assigned and see if it works.

Yup.. SSID is on...

I'll give it another go in a moment with DHCP back on on the phone.

I just can't figure it out.. all other wi-fi devices in my house are getting IP's fine via DHCP.. just the hermes...

A.

Guest andyhud
Yup.. SSID is on...

I'll give it another go in a moment with DHCP back on on the phone.

I just can't figure it out.. all other wi-fi devices in my house are getting IP's fine via DHCP.. just the hermes...

A.

Nope.. same issue.. it can't get an IP.. but did the first time I booted up on the new rom (tytn). It never got an IP via DHCP when it was on the original Orange ROM.

Tried static again too.. that is fine...

A.

Your best bet is probably take everything down to base level and work up to see what's causing the problem.

i.e., turn off your WEP encryption (should use WPA as minimum anyway, WEP is arse), remove the MAC address filtering etc. and see how you get on from there. Then turn them all back on one by one and see where the bork happens.

Basic, but might help. Usually this is the quickest way to solve these things too! :D

Guest rickwookie

How many devices do you have? Some routers only have a small pool of IP address reserved for DHCP by deafult. Maybe they're all used. Have a look at the DHCP settings in your router.

Also you might try manually assigning a specific address to your device's wlan mac address in your dhcp server settings. Most routers allow this. I find this useful when I have NAT routes set up and want to ensure that a particular device always gets the same IP but don't want to used a static IP on the device. This means that I don't have to change between static and auto-assigned depending on if I'm at home of not, just leave it on auto-assigned and at home I'll always get the IP addresss I want and the firewall routes will always work. :D

Edited by rickwookie

Guest andyhud
How many devices do you have? Some routers only have a small pool of IP address reserved for DHCP by deafult. Maybe they're all used. Have a look at the DHCP settings in your router.

Also you might try manually assigning a specific address to your device's wlan mac address in your dhcp server settings. Most routers allow this. I find this useful when I have NAT routes set up and want to ensure that a particular device always gets the same IP but don't want to used a static IP on the device. This means that I don't have to change between static and auto-assigned depending on if I'm at home of not, just leave it on auto-assigned and at home I'll always get the IP addresss I want and the firewall routes will always work. :D

Chaps.. cheers for the info

Again, no wep enabled or WPA at the moment, just trying to get an IP via DHCP, then will be using a cert for WPA via my server if I can get DHCP sorted

DHCP is controlled by my 2003 server, not the router.. dhcp is disabled on the router.

If I assign the phone a static IP.. all is fine.. it just doesnt get one via dhcp.. I'd like to try a different AP (vendor) to be honest.. it may be something with the netgear...

Its as if its not getting a DHCP Ack command..

A.

Edited by andyhud

Guest rickwookie
Chaps.. cheers for the info

Again, no wep enabled or WPA at the moment, just trying to get an IP via DHCP, then will be using a cert for WPA via my server if I can get DHCP sorted

DHCP is controlled by my 2003 server, not the router.. dhcp is disabled on the router.

If I assign the phone a static IP.. all is fine.. it just doesnt get one via dhcp.. I'd like to try a different AP (vendor) to be honest.. it may be something with the netgear...

Its as if its not getting a DHCP Ack command..

A.

This can all be done using 2003's DHCP server too. A quick google threw up this: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...ndows_2003.html

Look there for how to reserve an IP address for a certain MAC address. It's worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest squareeyes

I have the exactly the same problem andyhud has.

My TyTN worked fineout of the box but since switching it off overnight it wont pick up my access point. Weird.

It was seeing it but couln't connect. Now it doesn't even see it. I have not changed anything on the AP and my other devices are all happily connecting to the AP.

I wonder if a ROM update is needed? Where would I get one?

I'm running:

HTC TyTN (Not SIM or Network Locked)

07/22/06

Ext ROM: 1.18.255.106

thanks squareeyes