HSDPA modem - is it quick?

Guest rolywalter

Guest rolywalter

Just wondering if anyone had had a chance to try out their Hermes as a 3G modem? I'd be interested to see how fast it is compared with GPRS. Also, can you attain top speeds over bluetooth or is it USB only for max bps?

Guest jimbouk

Users with HSDPA have reported achieving speeds very close to 1meg - which is what was expected - albeit this is over their handsets browser not with modem use. The network data speed should be the same either way though.

I wondered if BT would act as a bottleneck to the data flow...will be interesting to find out.

Guest Snoopstah

I think the Hermes supports Bluetooth 2.0, which has a theoretical limit of 3mbits/sec - so with any luck you shouldn't bottleneck the BT connection with HSDPA.

Guest plainz
Users with HSDPA have reported achieving speeds very close to 1meg - which is what was expected - albeit this is over their handsets browser not with modem use. The network data speed should be the same either way though.

I wondered if BT would act as a bottleneck to the data flow...will be interesting to find out.

What do you mean by 1 meg? byte or bit?

1 megabit a second is about 120 kilobytes. Isn't that about 1/3 of what they are purporting?

Guest Snoopstah

Max theoretical is 1.8mbit/sec, so 1mbit/sec is just over half that. You're very unlikely to actually reach the max theoretical speed - if you were really lucky you might get up to 1.5mbit/sec or so.

Guest jimbouk
What do you mean by 1 meg? byte or bit?

1 megabit a second is about 120 kilobytes. Isn't that about 1/3 of what they are purporting?

Normal 3g is about 380kbs - HSDPA is currently rated as max achievable of 1.8mbs - but as said above real world data speeds (ie radio signal strength, contention etc) will currently be approx 1mbs.

All the networks are claiming that by next year Max Speed will be doubled to 3.6mbs and thus we should expect to achieve up to 2mbs on our devices. Again the networks are claiming that max speed will grow to approx 10mbs within a couple of years - meaning that users could be enjoying a faster data connection over their mobile device that their home broadband (even though home broadband will be getting faster too).

With "convergence" being the buzzword, you can expect the line between mobile and home data and telephony to be further blurred. Especially as the mobile networks have to confront the reality of VOIP (and Video over IP) being very usable at these speeds. Hence Bt's home hub and the recently announced devices that will use your home connection when you are in range and a cellular connection when out and about. Add in public wifi and Wimax etc and the futures going to be interesting.