Performance problems on your Mobile Internet connection? Try this!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm pondering a 'MoDaCo global newsletter' to tell people about this, with the emphasis for our T-Mo UK members.

It makes me wonder why the T-Mo UK DNS is so bad!

P

Guest proindigo

I am a part time dns freek, I recommend opendns to my clients, they have dedicted servers which everyone is welcome to use. It sped up my home internet connection by about 30% so I am sure it will do the same on the phone.

I will try it when my phone comes for those that want to try it on their home computer/router or toaster.

the domain is http://www.opendns.com/

The dns servers are :

Guest jimbouk
Don't care when it's so easily fixed :D

P

Am picturing a lot of t customers visiting here when google bots pick up:

TMobile Customers speed up your webnwalk internet browsing with one simple setting change

Might be worth including a note that users may need to change these ip addresses if their internet access fails in the future (if the servers disappear ?

Guest Paul (MVP)
I am a part time dns freek, I recommend opendns to my clients, they have dedicted servers which everyone is welcome to use. It sped up my home internet connection by about 30% so I am sure it will do the same on the phone.

I will try it when my phone comes for those that want to try it on their home computer/router or toaster.

the domain is http://www.opendns.com/

The dns servers are :

Good call!

That looks excellent, i'll give it a try, and if it's nice and fast / stable, i'll update the instructions.

:D

P

PS Now using it at home too and it DOES seem quick!:D

Guest Paul (MVP)

So I put the OpenDNS settings in my TyTN, and still end up with a latency of, say a few seconds. The other settings give me a latency of under a second for sure... so I conclude the OpenNIC servers are faster than the OpenDNS ones.

So, for fun, I put the DNS settings from the first post in my home internet router too. OMG! FAST! :D

P

Guest proindigo
OpenDNS faster than pipex at home, slower than Orange on 3100.

Possibly due to the isp network setup. You home conenctions will probably have a faster link to USA, where the servers are. Just guessing though. Will report back when t-mobile comes through with my phone.

Ps Paul and the rest.... The bills in the post for the free consultation advice...enjoy the new fast speeds

Edited by proindigo

Guest conkerwoman
Can those of you on Orange who noticed an improvement stick your hands in the air, please?

Here! Here! (flapping hands wildly)

Picked a random site from my Favourites.

Orange default settings - 24 seconds

New settings - 10 seconds.

It was that locating bit what done it. Much, much quicker.

Ta Muchly!

Guest Paul (MVP)
Possibly due to the isp network setup. You home conenctions will probably have a faster link to USA, where the servers are. Just guessing though. Will report back when t-mobile comes through with my phone.

Ps Paul and the rest.... The bills in the post for the free consultation advice...enjoy the new fast speeds

Note my post saying OpenDNS look slicker, but is slower than the OpenNIC servers it seems... probably because the OpenNIC servers are in Europe, and OpenDNS don't have a Europe server yet.

Now if only OpenNIC had a UK server. Or if MoDaCo had a UK DNS server of it's own. Hmmm.... :D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

If there's anyone reading this with a spare server or two on a nice fat UK based backbone who would like some extremely positive PR, drop me a PM / mail :D

P

Guest Wudang
So I put the OpenDNS settings in my TyTN, and still end up with a latency of, say a few seconds. The other settings give me a latency of under a second for sure... so I conclude the OpenNIC servers are faster than the OpenDNS ones.

So, for fun, I put the DNS settings from the first post in my home internet router too. OMG! FAST! :D

P

My SP5 on Orange network is definitely faster locating (av. 5/6 seconds) but the speed my home pc finds sites now is just incredible. :D

Now presumably if too many people pick up on this thread eventually the DNS server will begin to struggle with the traffic. On that basis I think we should congratulate Paul on his marvellous work and close this topic immediately. :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

I would hope the couple-of-hundred-max people who will read this topic AND implement shouldn't affect server performance too much! :D

P

PS Trying TONS of different DNS servers, but there's something magical about that first IP that despite the fact the PING is sometimes slow than other servers, it turns around the requests ridiculously fast!

You are a saviour :D

I was so frustrated today with the general web browsing performance on my C600 with Orange I nearly threw out of the train window going past TVP!

It has also prompted me to put my t-mobile MDA on charge, I am hoping this will also make a difference as I have found it so slow as to nearly be unusable (I had put it down to the AKU2 upgrade...)

I had never even thought of DNS, even though I use a non-standard DNS with my ADSL.

Thanks again!

This was a bloody good idea. I'll be trying this on my home network as NTL's DNS goes up and down like Jordan falling over pissed on her chest in a nightclub.

I was hoping my 300th post would be with a M3100 in my hand. Seems not. I'll string those buggers at Orange up! <_<

Guest proindigo
This was a bloody good idea. I'll be trying this on my home network as NTL's DNS goes up and down like Jordan falling over pissed on her chest in a nightclub.

I was hoping my 300th post would be with a M3100 in my hand. Seems not. I'll string those buggers at Orange up! <_<

For my second trick... Use firefox guys!

www.getfirefox.com

For my second trick... Use firefox guys!

www.getfirefox.com

Hm, I put it to you that trying to run firefox on a ppc might set you back somewhat? :D

Also, Minimo is still balls - the best PPC browser so far is Opera! :D :D

Guest sleewok

Unbelievable difference! I'm using Cingular 2125 in the US and the speed of locating a page is instant. It used to take several seconds. This is using the servers suggested.

Lee

Guest TheDon

WOW!!! :D Nice work Paul! My Vario on T Mobi is flying now!

Is in a different league to the old settings!!

Great Work

Once more Modaco to the rescue!!

Guest creamhackered

hehe I had changed my settings to similar DNS servers over the last few months due to the poor performance on T-Mobile. I might give these a go but at the moment i'm using private ones.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.