Performance problems on your Mobile Internet connection? Try this!

Guest PaulOBrien

Thanks for thos post.

Just got my vario 2 yesterday and have now used your settings and much faster with T mob.

Only noticed a slight change on orange with a C500.

Thanks

Guest Dr Who
fan bloody tastic

This is so much faster on T-mobile.

Noticed it was slow recently but thought it was just the gprs connection.

Certainly seems to give a more reliable connect time.

Guest randomelements

Hmmm - just changed back to the default settings and am now getting "Unable to obtain a server assigned IP address"

Concerned..... :D

Edited by randomelements

Guest mma godlike

Great post!!!!

Although the access to sites has got faster (and yes well well apreciated) I've noticed after a speed check im getting results of 344kbps rather than the 1.4 I had earlier! Anything to do with HSDPA???

Guest fraser

Very interesting stuff. Adding a hosts file is surely the way to go for your favourites.

Is there a way we can manually clear the phones DNS cache? I'd take any speed comparisons with a pinch of salt as the second attempt may just be reading the local cache. For a true test, be sure to use a different domain for each query or clear the cache.

Guest fantastic_mr_q

Give that man a Medal, I have been on and off the phone to Tmobile, thinking that they were throtalling my connection, as I use it so much, My net has been so slow and they tried so much to fix it!! I Try your DNS Tip and voila! Bingo! Get In! (So on and so forth) Anyone that doubts this should give it a go, sooo much quicker and reliable!

PS Phoned TMobile and told them what Ive done, they agreed that their servers are struggling due to the ammount of people signed up at the moment, and that it is getting worse especially at peak times.

Guest cushcalc
Great Tweak.. I have just entered in the settings and poof.. seems snappier on Cingular. Not sure how this could be, but I'm recording the fastest EDGE speeds I have ever seen.. 174kbps, 158kbps, 167kbps.. :D Testing at dslreports.com/mspeed

I just ran this with my Cingular 8125 here in Denver and got 210 kbps on this test.

Why, on www.bandwidthplace/speedtest do I get a test result so different? (529.2 kbps now, 492 kbps before this tweak - how can 2 different testing services give such widely different results?)

Guest fraser
I just ran this with my Cingular 8125 here in Denver and got 210 kbps on this test.

Why, on www.bandwidthplace/speedtest do I get a test result so different? (529.2 kbps now, 492 kbps before this tweak - how can 2 different testing services give such widely different results?)

Because it depends on the links between you and them. Try to find one that is close to you, and do it at off-peak hours. And some tests aren't very good anyway.

This tweak doesn't increase download speed or bandwidth by the way. It just makes the initial connection start a lot faster by using quicker DNS servers. Every time your ppc looks up "ad.doubleclick.com" will also speed up, so pages with lots of off site images and other content will load quicker.

Guest marisa4755

What an amazing difference!

I was quite disappointed, not in the speed of the download, but with the constant loading messages, now it's a pleasure to use.

thanks

Guest AndrewH13

Big difference, hardly worth using recently, but this changes that. Not just on Locating but Loading as well.

So maybe TMob have kept peoples use down by their servers!!!! Amazing that non-forum readers will not have this knowledge.

Hello,

I use a HP Compaq nx 6110 laptop with xp home and a SonyEricsson GC 85 EDGE/GPRS pc card modem on my type II card slot, and a fixed monthly rate, unlimited data package from my cell company to connect to net, the problem is it drops the connection if no physical activity on the laptop, I run my laptop on power and the power management settings all are on Never for stand by or hibernate! And I don

OpenDNS faster than pipex at home, slower than Orange on 3100.

These DNS tweaks may work for T-Mobile but do NOT work for Orange UK.

I still get delays of 1 minute on resolving DNS with the usual "Locating" message.

Contacted Orange Customer Services and they were arrogant (as expected) and said they had sold loads of these devices and they would know if there was a problem. I said I had a new M3100, supplied by Orange and a clean build with new 3G SIM.

I also asked why Orange World kept protesting that content was only available to Orange Phones and also asked why traffic TV would not install saying it was not meant for this phone (It was ! and comes with Racoon packages, FREE for 3 months!!).

Unless its on the scripted cards in front of CS you have no hope with Orange. Their Customer Service is dreadful (on more than one occasion and over several years). I had come back to Orange from O2 as they didnt have the M3100 but I am already regretting it.

Has anyone got a fix yet for Orange ? Maybe its a registry key setting for DNS cache or something ?

• 2 weeks later...
These DNS tweaks may work for T-Mobile but do NOT work for Orange UK.

I still get delays of 1 minute on resolving DNS with the usual "Locating" message.

Contacted Orange Customer Services and they were arrogant (as expected) and said they had sold loads of these devices and they would know if there was a problem. I said I had a new M3100, supplied by Orange and a clean build with new 3G SIM.

I also asked why Orange World kept protesting that content was only available to Orange Phones and also asked why traffic TV would not install saying it was not meant for this phone (It was ! and comes with Racoon packages, FREE for 3 months!!).

Unless its on the scripted cards in front of CS you have no hope with Orange. Their Customer Service is dreadful (on more than one occasion and over several years). I had come back to Orange from O2 as they didnt have the M3100 but I am already regretting it.

Has anyone got a fix yet for Orange ? Maybe its a registry key setting for DNS cache or something ?

Orange have fixed the Orange World issue and Traffic TV issue.

DNS:

OK This is a bug with WM5.

Cured totally by using workaround as follows:

If you have Wifi hard coded to use static IP address and Static DNS server addresses set them to automatic.

After you have done this, using the assigned Orange DNS servers (or hard coded ones) via 3G (or GPRS) you wont get the familiar "Locating..." message in Internet Explorer!

DNS will be resolved almost immediately.

Escalated to Orange for future ROM update fix.

Edited by unisoft

DNS:

OK This is a bug with WM5.

Cured totally by using workaround as follows:

If you have Wifi hard coded to use static IP address and Static DNS server addresses set them to automatic.

After you have done this, using the assigned Orange DNS servers (or hard coded ones) via 3G (or GPRS) you wont get the familiar "Locating..." message in Internet Explorer!

DNS will be resolved almost immediately.

Escalated to Orange for future ROM update fix.

I'm not convinced on that. I'd imagine that 99% of the WiFi users out there are using automatic settings already. Static IP is the exception, not the norm. I've only used it during the pre wifi router days, when you only got access points. Even then the wired router it's plugged into most of the time offers DHCP.

There's a simple way to check this. Use the Orange DNS server both at peak and off-peak times. If you find that at 4am it works perfectly, then Orange don't have a sufficiently capable DNS server.

Secondly, if you do find that non-Orange DNS servers are disproportionately slow, then that simply doesn't make a lot of sense. DNS is just standard IP traffic, using a non-orange DNS server is no different than using a non-orange email server. If it is the case that using hard-coded settings for Orange is slower than hard-coded non-orange, then Orange have a problem.

I'm not convinced on that. I'd imagine that 99% of the WiFi users out there are using automatic settings already. Static IP is the exception, not the norm. I've only used it during the pre wifi router days, when you only got access points. Even then the wired router it's plugged into most of the time offers DHCP.

There's a simple way to check this. Use the Orange DNS server both at peak and off-peak times. If you find that at 4am it works perfectly, then Orange don't have a sufficiently capable DNS server.

Secondly, if you do find that non-Orange DNS servers are disproportionately slow, then that simply doesn't make a lot of sense. DNS is just standard IP traffic, using a non-orange DNS server is no different than using a non-orange email server. If it is the case that using hard-coded settings for Orange is slower than hard-coded non-orange, then Orange have a problem.

It IS a bug with WM5. Static IP/DNS for WIFI should not affect 3G/GPRS internet access times.

Try it - hard code a static IP/DNS for your Wifi then go onto 3G or GPRS with wifi off on mobile device. You will get the "Locating..." message in Internet Explorer and a wait time of 1-2 minutes for each different site URL you attempt to request.

With my wifi settings on Automatic, I really dont have an issue with Orange Internet - only around 6pm the pages can be slower than other times. The only web site that is a constant pain is pda.NationalRail but thats down to national rail's web site.

I had hard coded settings because if my server was OFF I wanted the device to have the IP address and DNS addresses (I don't use the router for DHCP). I like to have static IP at home for logging purposes. Also if you are in poor range its better this way as you dont wait around for ages for it to resolve DHCP.

With regard to the hard coding of the Orange DNS servers on the 3G connection. It is fact that if you have them hard coded you do not have to wait for a packet to be sent asking for DHCP information and wait for a busy servers response!. It IS quicker on initial connection than leaving to DHCP from Orange. Downside is if they ever change them you need to change the DNS addresses again. I have orange server as primary and level 3 4.2.2.1 as secondary. I agree that other DNS servers can be used, however it should be slightly quicker in theory of a DNS server on same network (ie Orange) than having to go through routers to get resolution unless of course the servers are just plain overloaded.

Edited by unisoft

Guest Steadyeddie

Ok, this is probably a stupid question :rolleyes: but what are the 'level 3' servers?

Are they just an alternative to the servers given in the first post i.e. 217.115.......

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by Steadyeddie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ando_redo

my connection to internet with dialup gprs. this is details of my cellphone :

Samsung SGH D600

support GPRS 10

APN : www.xlgprs.net

in indonesia

i have try fullspeed accelerator to optimize my speed

address : www.getfullspeed.com

i try test download in that software(full speed). It says my average speed is 5 kbps and maximum speed is 220 kbps

Sometimes i can get 220 kbps (max speed) when i download something.. but just in 10-30 second :rolleyes: :(

And i try bandwith test in CNET

http://www.hi-speed-internet.com/speedtest.html

that i got 33 kbps connection type.

i have a few quetion? please let me know the answer..

1. what is the different speed in full speed test with speed in CNET?

2. can i improve my speed dial up average to 20-30 kbps (in download speed like full speed test)?

best

ando_redo

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Charles Darke

I have T-mobile with wnw pro. Using the datacards, speeds are very fast and there are few delays (I use OpenDNS on my laptop too). Last week, I got a Vario II and tried my SIM in the phone.

The WnW performance is very poor. Unusable around 70% of the time. I don't know whether the antenna is worse (since it's being used in the same places as the datacard) or whether performance is being throttled some other way.

• 1 month later...
Guest Embraer

Fairing not much better. Fastest connection speed I've managed either connect via a laptop or directly is 400k and although I'm only on WnW+ I can't see that there would be much difference. CustServ were about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I know that the connection is borderline 3G where I live but out and about it's solid 4bars 3g, so I took to phone to the local TMobile shop in Manchester's Trafford Centre confirmed their postcode, rang customer services and got no better than 400k again. CustServ said "well you can't expect much better in built up areas because there are lots of people connecting". So where can I possibly get an HSDPA speed?

• 4 months later...
Guest Mobius01

Sorry to bump an old thread but I was searching for tips on improving HSDPA and stumbled across this thread. I have the same problem as many people in here (websites loading slowly) but I use my T-Mobile 'web n walk' USB Modem on my home computer. How would I alter the DNS and perform the other steps you mentioned in Windows? I'm not very good at networking, and stuff.

Thank you!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.