New Vario II. FINALLY IN MY HANDS!

Guest rickwookie

Guest Snoopstah
Actually I like it!

Me too. Although if anyone has a reg hack to allow us to rename it to something that will fit, that would be even better.

Guest Matt Kirby

rickwookie:

I've got a couple of questions (although I'm getting mine tomorrow, so I could always wait! :D )

What's the first part of the serial number? Apparently there were problems with serial numbers below HTC630.

And secondly, does it seem to be application locked? Does it just warn you when installing stuff, or does it prevent anything?

Guest rickwookie
rickwookie:

I've got a couple of questions (although I'm getting mine tomorrow, so I could always wait! :D )

What's the first part of the serial number? Apparently there were problems with serial numbers below HTC630.

And secondly, does it seem to be application locked? Does it just warn you when installing stuff, or does it prevent anything?

Just warns when installing.

The serial number's on the box at the office (and probably under the battery which I'm not taking out right now). I think this issue was with a Vodaphone batch anyway.

Guest Tommy Squeaker

I too recieved mine today, im new to all this pda stuff, so still working thro with it and playing with it, but i seem to have a problem with the camera, the picture doesnt to be upto much, but i cant zoom in for love nor money, checked the book and its the 2 arrows on the left, i just get a little sound but no zooming :D

Anyone else find this?

Guest rickwookie
I too recieved mine today, im new to all this pda stuff, so still working thro with it and playing with it, but i seem to have a problem with the camera, the picture doesnt to be upto much, but i cant zoom in for love nor money, checked the book and its the 2 arrows on the left, i just get a little sound but no zooming :D

Anyone else find this?

Ok here's the deal. The camera doesn't have a zoom lense. So what's with the 'zoom'? Well imagine if you have a 2 megapixel image and you look closely at a rectangle of say 1 megapixel in the center. Congratulations. You've just 'zoomed in' using 'digital zoom'

The reason that you can't zoom is that you a trying to take a 2 megapixel image and the device only has a 2 megapixel sensor. Therefore, if it were to 'zoom' or only look at the center 1 megapixels or so then you would only get a 1 megapixel or so image/file.

Therefore if you lower the resolution (click the icon that has 2M, top middle) of the image you want, it will 'enable' 'digital zoom'. The more you lower the resolution, the more 'digtal zoom' steps will be available.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but as you might guess, I hate digital zoom and don't see the point of it unless you are really stuck for storage space. You can always crop (or 'zoom' :D ) the image later and get exactly the bit of the picture you wanted to zoom into in the first place.

[Edit:] The lense does have a nice macro feature though. The little slider on the back next to the lense adjusts the focus for close ups (move towards the little flower symbol), and it seems to work well.

Edited by rickwookie

Guest FlangeArtist

I am SO bummed. My phone didn't arrive yesterday! Don't think it is a T-Mobile problem (bot my order in minutes after it was available!), but good old Royal Mail (they are carp in my area of Birmingham)!