Newbie questions about Exchange

Guest crazyc

Guest crazyc

Please forgive the possibly simple questions about exchange, but they are quite specific and I have not found an answer elsewhere.

I am shortly going to get either an M600 or M3100, but I think the answer will be the same whatever.

When I change jobs in a bit, I am going to a place where everything is run via terminal server. Can I still sync with my Outlook Calendar even though it will not be on the PC itself (not interested in email) - I think the answer is yes but not sure.

Also, If I get the device in advance, and set it up to sync with my PC at home, is it then going to be easy to change to the new works server?

I saw somewhere that you can't active sync over wifi - is that just between the PPC and PC on a wifi network (like I have at home) or does that also mean I cannot use my wifi network to access the exchange server at work.

Any help/suggestions would be gretaly appreciated.

Thanks

C.

Guest jimbouk

Exchange server syncing is easier and more robust than pc syncing. You can certainly sync with the server over gprs, wifi or via activesync passthru. If its exchange server 2003 with Service Pack 2, you can have direct push (for email, calendar etc).

I think you can only sync one mail account though, so once you change to your exchange server you wont be able to sync calendar and mail with pc as well (but if outlook on the pc is set up to sync with the same server then changes on any one of the three will be refected on all three). If outlook is accessing different mail eg a pop3 account, then you cant use activesync (as well as the server account) but you can of course set those pop3 accounts up as mail accounts on your device (and download mail over GPRS, Wifi or Activesync passthrough).

Guest crazyc

Cheers for that - once I switch to the remote server one then I will not need to sync with the home one - that will simply be a stop gap. :D

I should be starting with a clear calendar at work, but will use my stop gap one to put birthdays and social events on the phone. Presumably the "merging" process is simple and automatic.? (ie it will just merge the phone appointments with the new calendar, and won't give me grief because it was synced with a different calendar before.

Guest jimbouk

As your work calendar will be empty you should be ok. I am not 100% sure though.

I think you need to make sure in activesync that you set it to "keep items on device" in case there are any conflicts between the two.

Once you have sync'd once, any changes on either server or device will be reflected on both and with direct push, there wont be any instances where both you and your secretary have made changes to the same item in the calendar between syncs - which used to be a problem.