m3100 Vs Vario II (build quality)

Guest mattie01

Guest mattie01

hi guys i thought that as i was lucky enough to have both the Orange m3100 and a T-mobile Vario II,

i would enlighten you guys on to some of the things i have found out about the phone(s)

first off. IMHO the m3100 looks just that little bit sleeker, but the build quality on the vario II seems to be better.

let me list a couple of examples..

the scroll wheel:

the vario II wheel seems to be just a bit more tactile and responsive over the m3100, not just with the scrolling of the wheel but also when pressed it just feels like your actually clicking a button.

(where been a couple of times on the m3100 when i have scrolled to the option i want but then just when i am pressing the wheel in to select it, the wheel ticks down and i'm selecting the wrong option, this hasn't happened once with the vario II)

the d-pad on the front of the device:

the m3100 one seems more responsive that the vario II, the vario II's just seems to be a little be to limp almost feeling liek its not properly attached to the device.

the battery cover:

on my m3100 the battey covers seems lose around the bottom corner, but the vario II's battery cover seems to be a nice and snug fit

the screen lock(?) "when the keyboard is locked away under the device"

the m3100 still seems to have alot of play in the movement of the screen, dont get me wrong its locked in place fine but there just seems to be alot of play when its in the locked position. the vario II on the other hand when the keyboard is locked away there is almost no play in the screen at all it does well and truly feel like the keyboard is locked in position nice and tight.

the other thing that sprung right out at me when placing both phones down next to each other on my desk was the balance of the vario II is far better then the m3100...

what i mean by this is if you pull out the keyboard on the m3100 and place it on your desk and start typing the phones rocks back and forth with every touch of the keys, even with the phone at rest with the keyboard out the phoen is almost falling over on its arse as it where.

now the vario II when you have the keyboard out and sitting on your desk still sits perfectly flat, i've tried to attach a poto to show what i mean by this (warning it might be kind of big...)

[edit]ok i have found out why the vario II doesn't wobble with the keyboard out and why the m3100 does... next to the camera on the back there is a data port cover on the vario II they have increased the size of this data port cover and this is why the devices doesn't wobble, after swapping it over to my m3100, the m3100 didn't wobble any more... :D[/edit]

this is a hard decision for me, as i really like the look of the m3100 but using the vario seems much responsive and more of a pleasure to use...

let me know if this little guide helps anyone out or if there if anything other possible differances you might want looked at...

regards

matt

post-21561-1156332009_thumb.jpg

Edited by mattie01

Guest FlangeArtist
now the vario II when you have the keyboard out and sitting on your desk still sits perfectly flat, i've tried to attach a poto to show what i mean by this (warning it might be kind of big...)

Matt, Can I take it from the photo, that the Vario2 is the one on the right?

Guest mattie01
Matt, Can I take it from the photo, that the Vario2 is the one on the right?

thats correct..

after doing some more indepth testing thou the vario II does have a little wobble to it (note this might be due to me removing the data port cover)

but the fact that the vario II rests on the port cover rather then the lense case itself is deffinalt a factor, even if its just keeping the camera lense safer...

Guest FlangeArtist
thats correct..

after doing some more indepth testing thou the vario II does have a little wobble to it (note this might be due to me removing the data port cover)

but the fact that the vario II rests on the port cover rather then the lense case itself is deffinalt a factor, even if its just keeping the camera lense safer...

Got a profile photo of the two, so those of us who don't have both devices can see the difference? (If possible, and it shows up i nthe photo - on white background?)

Guest mattie01
Got a profile photo of the two, so those of us who don't have both devices can see the difference? (If possible, and it shows up i nthe photo - on white background?)

sorry i must be having a dumb moment? how do you mean "profile"? the devices next to each other or laying flat with the keyboard out?

post-21561-1156336431_thumb.jpg

post-21561-1156336445_thumb.jpg

Edited by mattie01

Guest MARKUKCOUK

I've had a few M3100s... some wobble some don't.

its not that fair to take one vario and one m3100 and say one is better than the other - as I'm sure both models will vary between devices.

Guest FlangeArtist
sorry i must be having a dumb moment? how do you mean "profile"? the devices next to each other or laying flat with the keyboard out?

What I mean is the bottom of the phones, photograph, but looking from the 'profile'. Basically I wan to see the 'bumps' that the phones have, when lying flat. That way we can see what is sticking out.

its not that fair to take one vario and one m3100 and say one is better than the other - as I'm sure both models will vary between devices.

I can also say that the Vario II is the better of the two devices in my opinion.

The build quality is great and it just feels stronger. The keyboard on the two Vario II's we've got also are perfect, unlike the occational sticky keys on the M3100's. The M3100 I've used also didn't lock into place firmly when you slid the screen out.

Don't miss the video call button at all on the Varios either. Although the D-Pad is probably better on the M3100 the button layout on the Vario II is much better to use I find.

Guest mattie01

i was quoting on purely my experiances and what i felt on "imho" as mentioned at the start of the thread

it does seem strange thou that some m3100's wobble and some don't based purely on the fact that the wobble is the phone resting on the lens cover...

thanks for your feed back thou...

Guest MARKUKCOUK
i was quoting on purely my experiances and what i felt on "imho" as mentioned at the start of the thread

it does seem strange thou that some m3100's wobble and some don't based purely on the fact that the wobble is the phone resting on the lens cover...

thanks for your feed back thou...

No probs, and it certainly wasnt a dig at you, or anyone else. just a general comment.

also, the latest handset i have appears to have a vibrating speaker... which means a swap i think :D

Guest zoro25

Thanks for the review Matt,

Glad to see I'm not the only one who ordered both from orange and TM

I also prefer the black look of the Orange but will check out the devices when I get from on Friday.

PS Not impressed with Orange Customer Care. But TM couldn't do enough. even better than Voda who I'm with.

z

Guest danwatson1974

I completely agree with the comments about the M3100 wobbling when you extend the keyboard and put it on a flat surface ... makes it almost impossible to type and is very annoying. If only they had considered that people might want to use it like this and made the back flat, like on the M500........

Guest peekie

There is one thing that does miss from all M3100 and vario2 is the lack of stereo speakers which featured on all wizards , this i find more of a minus point than a wobble , as i have never typed on a table so that small problem does not worry me , the lack of stereo does with the streaming of internet radio its a huge minus point on all the new models :D

• 3 months later...

Hi All, I have been a long time lurker, but first time poster.

I think I am ready to take the plunge and buy a Hermes. I am taking it abroad, so I will be buying a sim free variation (no contract).

I would like some experiences on which one to go for, Vario II or SPV M3100? Are there any known build quality issues if I buy one now? (Should I look for any particular build or serial number?) I am leaning towards the Vario II just because I like the look of it, but if I come across a M3100 at a good price, should I take it or wait for a Vario II?

Thanks